March 29, 2024, 08:33:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Culls?  (Read 1688 times)
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:53:23 pm »

A cull varies from one person to the next.    What some people will accept or tolerate, others will not and emediatly consider the dog a cull for traits or behavior it exhibits.      Things like skittish or aloof  are traits I absolutely don't like  and can emediatly be seen.   Physical traits can emediatly be seen.     Flat footed dogs, cow hockey, under bite, eyes that don't reflect light at night often seen in blue eyed dogs,  etc etc.         Knowing a breed standard and judging dogs by it can quickly determine a dog not within the standard which encompasses everything from looks, behavior, color, movement and more.     A dog thats been neutered is an emediate cull to me do to the health problems that dog is more than likely going to incounter.         An experienced dog that doesn't hunt off the truck and just lays down all the time is to me a cull.  This doesn't take hours to see in a new dog.  This can be observed almost emediatly.     
       Pups on the other hand should not be culled for this as most will go on to exhibit this behavior with minimal to some hunting experience.         Puppies at play with one another that fight the rear instead of the head are culls (catch dog pups)             A ton of stuff can be seen emediatly for those with understanding and an eye for things.    Other things such as a dogs desire to hunt for its new owner in my opinion should not be culled so quickly.     Sometimes trust and respect must be in place before a dog will hunt for just anybody.        I have a comical story about one of my dogs holding a pig but wouldn't allow a guest to leg the pig it was holding and  allowed the pig to trot over to me about 150 yards away where I was tying another pig  held by a different dog.  When that pig reached me, my dog held it in place there.        I doubt anyone else could take that dog without me and go catch pigs with him the first day or two before building a bond with the dog.              Sooo much stuff can be emediatly seen but, some stuff takes time to see.         Learned behaviors should not be culled for quickly  but inherited traits can and should.   
       One should not confuse breeds with types.  There are no breed standards for types. 
A dogs hunt style may be appropriate and appreciated by some and scoffed at by others.    Is this a cull?     Well to some it is but to others its a great dog but just more appropriate for someone else.   
      What is a cull?      A cull is safely anything that doesn't fall within the breed standard.     Others my define it further down than that.           For types, there is no breed standard and a cull is safely determined by that of the breeder and their standards I would say
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: