April 25, 2024, 02:04:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best age to castrate a boar?  (Read 1052 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2020, 09:27:51 am »

Goose,

Were there any negative side affects? Did they just grow faster or was their final adult size larger? Lol you have me interested now. I have a litter of pups that should be born anytime now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I don’t know if it had a hill of beans to do with ral gro pellets or not but the 3 she had I kept and they grew off bigger than what I’d seen the sire and dame produce before and after that litter, or it could’ve been a number of factors contributing to their large size, at the recommendation from a well known and respected running walker breeder whom I’d personally see do this a number of times, I gave them 1 drop of ivomectin out of an eye dropper at 6 weeks old, and a few weeks after that I gave them some supposedly powerful probiotics that we had for the yearlings that’s called Cattle Active, factoring in as well they had an unlimited supply of bull nuts, we were pre conditioning several thousand yearlings a yr for a guy, so every Wednesday we would get loads in and from the time they were big enough to make it the 200 yds up the hill from the dog pens to the barn they would belly up till they were about to pop on nuts and got to where they would go bury them and on top of what I would bag up and put in the meds fridge and feed them everyday until I ran out, I actually started the pellets by accident, my injecting gun was messing up and a tapped it on the side of the chute and a few pellets fell on the ground and stuck to a fresh cut mountain oyster on the ground and one pup ran up and gobbled it up, I asked my paw in law what we should do and he just chuckled and said might as well give them all some, I personally believe it was a combination of things each helping the other out, I know the pups got a good bit bigger than what I’ve ever seen come from those genetics, they had a little more frame than normal but seemed to be way more thicker and more mass, we kept them all to over a yr old and eventually sold them to some hands needing some more working dogs, they were really handy on pastured cattle and driving groups but didn’t have any kinda stick whatsoever on hogs....

I personally believe ivomectin can play a factor in growth, yrs ago a good friend of mine had two litters of pups and his wife got the dosages confused and mixed up and wound up giving the pups waaaaaayyyy to much of the ivomectin, she immediately realized what she had done and called him he had her run to the store and grab and bunch of canned dog food and let them eat as much as they wanted covered in milk, she was able to save two from each litter, a litter of cur pups and a litter of bulldog pups and those pups from each litter grew off a good bit bigger than what they should’ve been, again could’ve all been just one them things that happens like the case with my pups could’ve been or could be something to do with the de wormer....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: