March 28, 2024, 05:11:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Severed tendon  (Read 2672 times)
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 05:32:03 pm »

You might actually try helping her stretch it a little everyday. You'll be able to tell how far to push it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
For sure. I have been in the morning and evening stretching it out some. I have had many fair share of casts and I remember that same deal. It come off and it almost hurt worse than when it was first broke.  I need to cut the skin stitches on the outside out but I don’t want to push it. Figure she will chew them out over time. The pool sounds like a good idea for sure. After shattering the growth plate in my ankle and tearing my CFL & ATFL and we did a lot of PT in the pool working it back so I could get back to playing ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 07:48:55 pm »

Pool would be an excellent choice, might can put your thinking cap on and look around the ranch at what all you got to work with and might can come up with some sort of tank taller than her that you can secure a piece of pipe or something to reach the dead center and attach a harness to it and put her in it, you know her better than anybody, go easy first few times and read her body language and pull her out when she starts showing signs of consistent pain and soreness...
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 05:36:27 pm »

Well boys. Sketch will live the rest of her days with just 3 good legs. Surgery was successful in reconnecting the tendon, but the scar tissue build up and swelling didn’t do us any favors. There a lot of extra slack in that hock. I’ll have to get a picture of it, she can plant off of it, but at the point where it becomes stable, it’s over extended by a good bit. Regardless, I was confident it is a strong as it’s going to be. Have been swimming her a few days a week and letting her run loose some. She has had some sure enough hurt feeling watching us load up since she went down so I decided it was as good a time as any to break her back out.

Short story shorter, she is plum out of shape, and the one good back leg ain’t up to speed on having to pick up the slack for the bad one. All that said, she has never had the most ability in the world, but she’s got enough heart for a whole string of dogs and She will die that way. She hit the ground, took a little for her to figure out how to travel, and you could tell she got sore quick. But about an hour or so of hunting, her and rocky cut out a few hundred yards and hit some hogs in a hay field. Hogs wanted to run but they eventually ended up with a little hog caught in the open.
  Don’t know if I’ve smiled so big for such a little hog since I caught my very first one 5.5 years ago. Even my buddies were happy to have her back. We’ve all missed the spunk she brought and the confidence that came with her being out. Little condition ahead and I don’t think it will be too long before I can post a picture sitting behind a big ole bad one she put up bayed for the last time. Fingers crossed she comes in the fall, we damn sure need some more pups off her.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 10:41:47 pm »

Good luck brother. Not the result you were looking or hoping for I know but you should find some comfort in the fact that it could've been worse. I hope you have better luck with the next litter.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2020, 05:47:31 pm »

I’ve used cbd drops for pain management for my dogs, it seems to help.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 02:04:57 pm »

Hey Slim,
The hog findin-est dog I’ve ever owned had hers cut smooth through many years ago and I didn’t have the money to even do what you’ve done. Mine just got retired to the back yard for a year. She developed thick scar tissue and will act like she uses the leg, but she’s only using it like she would a crutch or a prosthetic.

After a year of retirement, I took her along one night. She bayed a rally, which busted before we got there, and she went on the relay, baying about 8-10 more singles and ultimately on the last hog she was leaning waaaaaay out over her front shoulders, using the good back leg to bounce forward. It was definitely super strange looking and I still can’t quite figure out how she managed all that.
I’ve let her come along a few more times over the years, but mostly she is just retired.

Give yours plenty of time to heal on her own and I bet she’ll make herself useful again someday!

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 02:06:57 pm »

Hey Slim,
The hog findin-est dog I’ve ever owned had hers cut smooth through many years ago and I didn’t have the money to even do what you’ve done. Mine just got retired to the back yard for a year. She developed thick scar tissue and will act like she uses the leg, but she’s only using it like she would a crutch or a prosthetic.

After a year of retirement, I took her along one night. She bayed a rally, which busted before we got there, and she went on the relay, baying about 8-10 more singles and ultimately on the last hog she was leaning waaaaaay out over her front shoulders, using the good back leg to bounce forward. It was definitely super strange looking and I still can’t quite figure out how she managed all that.
I’ve let her come along a few more times over the years, but mostly she is just retired.

Give yours plenty of time to heal on her own and I bet she’ll make herself useful again someday!

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 09:36:04 am »

Hey Slim,

T bob we rehabbed her pretty hard, she’s been back at it pretty regularly for a little while now. This was the last hog she bayed for this year. She is due to drop a litter any day now. She can put the leg down and really go off of it pretty well. I’d say it’s probably at 80% or so of what it was before the injury. After 5-6 miles of tracks it definitely gets a little sore on her and she will favor it some, so I try to keep her from putting pointless miles on it. She casts well enough for the country we hunt so we load her between casts or don’t drop her unless we’re confident it’s a hog around.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: