March 28, 2024, 03:24:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next generation  (Read 5258 times)
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2023, 06:13:19 am »

I’m not gonna quit having those stay put, do what it takes types. Places have gotten smaller and will continue to. Technology though has improved and so if my dogs get on a place they shouldn’t be or gonna get into trouble, I’ll mash that tone button and reel them in. If this president gets his way it won’t matter for any of us if we have a 5 minute or five hour dog. This country is doing its best to become third world like. My nephew and several more officers were in a gun fight last night trying to execute a search warrant. The suspect and another officer were both killed. Makes hog dogs seem pretty irrelevant in a sense. I say this not to high jack the thread, but just to feed into the insanity out there and we gotta be careful especially if we find ourselves somewhere we might or might not be 100% ok being. If you don’t have a handle on your dogs it’s probably a good idea to change that if for nothing else but the safety of us and our dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We certainly aren’t shortening our dogs up any and I swear by the tone button and having dogs who understand what it means. That’s one of my biggest things about the mentality I want my dogs to have. Need to be focused on the hog and the task at hand, but also keep their Witt’s about them enough to sense all the other things going on around them. Such as me crawling in there and setting up for a shot over them, or toning them out because they’re somewhere we can’t go do our part for them.

We have done our part to make sure we have good relationships with land owners, and a good reputation as young men in the community in general. The day before a hunt I am liable to make 10 different phone calls to people to let them know we’re in the area. Seems these days as small town kids who have done some growing up we find people that used to turn us away in highschool, now calling, asking us if we can come put some pressure on the hogs.

Around the precon yard I manage here, I have over 4k acres blocked up, it is probably somewhere between 20-30 land owners. It’s a lot of work to make sure you communicate with that many people effectively enough to stay in good graces with everyone, but if we don’t do it. We’d be sitting at home wishing we had somewhere to go.

I guess what I meant by my above post was in country with enough hogs, if you’re simply trying to get young dogs kicked on and going the right direction. Understanding what we’re asking of them, I’d have to say I feel a caught hog, and further more multiple in a day or short time frame, can do more for a young dog, than catching one or 2 a week at the end of mile(s) long races. We know what our seasoned dogs are capable of and love when they go and remind us and we get to latch hold of a good hog after a long race, just feels like sometimes we didn’t accomplish as much when the dust settles if the year old pups got left behind or fell out half way through and didn’t get to see it from start to end. Once you get them sure enough going and they flip that switch. Then comes the fun part “how good are you?”

I am still after a kennel full of “you hear them bark, we’re gonna see the meat at the end” dogs.  Hopefully this cross is another step towards that.

As for the shooting Thomas, I saw the headlines when I woke up for work this am. Heart breaking. I know Dillion through mutual friends/acquaintances. I love a good small town LEO who is out there for the right reasons, he sure seems like one. Hate he had to be apart of an event like that. Everyday it’s another headline make me truly think I won’t ever have kids. I can’t hardly stand this world anymore. Certainly not anything I want to bring children of mine in to. Not a world where I don’t even think I can protect them from someone who wishes to do them harm.

I just wish everyone would leave everyone the heck alone. As long as you arent taking from or hurting someone else, I don’t care what you do. Don’t shove your beliefs and opinions in my face and I promise not to shove mine on you. Even if I think mine are better lol.

I agree on all points. It is getting harder and harder finding places to run these Plotts and other long range dogs. Tritronics and Garmen have brought dog training to a whole new level. I myself do not know why anyone would want to be in law enforcement in todays world when it seems so many hate groups are putting a target on them. That being said coming from a family that has several law enforcement people in it, and friends,  I have the utmost respect and admiration for them.
  Slim those are some pretty pups.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: