March 28, 2024, 09:40:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next generation  (Read 5268 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2023, 02:08:22 pm »

I’m not gonna quit having those stay put, do what it takes types. Places have gotten smaller and will continue to. Technology though has improved and so if my dogs get on a place they shouldn’t be or gonna get into trouble, I’ll mash that tone button and reel them in. If this president gets his way it won’t matter for any of us if we have a 5 minute or five hour dog. This country is doing its best to become third world like. My nephew and several more officers were in a gun fight last night trying to execute a search warrant. The suspect and another officer were both killed. Makes hog dogs seem pretty irrelevant in a sense. I say this not to high jack the thread, but just to feed into the insanity out there and we gotta be careful especially if we find ourselves somewhere we might or might not be 100% ok being. If you don’t have a handle on your dogs it’s probably a good idea to change that if for nothing else but the safety of us and our dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2023, 04:19:13 pm »

make sure deputy dawg keeps his head down.....the crazies aint worth it!
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2023, 06:09:24 pm »

I second that….

The world is becoming a much smaller place.

The ‘great wide open’ has shrunken into the ‘good few private’.

I’m glad the deputy dawg came out unscathed but feel for the family of his brother!

I had little experience with hunting with some them mellmans, they will get you in a bind lol. Really good dogs tho, in todays world probably better as a outcross unless your ‘freedom rings’ cause the can get gone

And yeah… the crazies ain’t worth it. I see it every day…
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2023, 06:15:55 pm »

Good luck with the pups slim. If the work as pretty as they look and follow in their progenitors steps you arta be set up good.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2023, 10:50:55 pm »

I’m not gonna quit having those stay put, do what it takes types. Places have gotten smaller and will continue to. Technology though has improved and so if my dogs get on a place they shouldn’t be or gonna get into trouble, I’ll mash that tone button and reel them in. If this president gets his way it won’t matter for any of us if we have a 5 minute or five hour dog. This country is doing its best to become third world like. My nephew and several more officers were in a gun fight last night trying to execute a search warrant. The suspect and another officer were both killed. Makes hog dogs seem pretty irrelevant in a sense. I say this not to high jack the thread, but just to feed into the insanity out there and we gotta be careful especially if we find ourselves somewhere we might or might not be 100% ok being. If you don’t have a handle on your dogs it’s probably a good idea to change that if for nothing else but the safety of us and our dogs.

We certainly aren’t shortening our dogs up any and I swear by the tone button and having dogs who understand what it means. That’s one of my biggest things about the mentality I want my dogs to have. Need to be focused on the hog and the task at hand, but also keep their Witt’s about them enough to sense all the other things going on around them. Such as me crawling in there and setting up for a shot over them, or toning them out because they’re somewhere we can’t go do our part for them.

We have done our part to make sure we have good relationships with land owners, and a good reputation as young men in the community in general. The day before a hunt I am liable to make 10 different phone calls to people to let them know we’re in the area. Seems these days as small town kids who have done some growing up we find people that used to turn us away in highschool, now calling, asking us if we can come put some pressure on the hogs.

Around the precon yard I manage here, I have over 4k acres blocked up, it is probably somewhere between 20-30 land owners. It’s a lot of work to make sure you communicate with that many people effectively enough to stay in good graces with everyone, but if we don’t do it. We’d be sitting at home wishing we had somewhere to go.

I guess what I meant by my above post was in country with enough hogs, if you’re simply trying to get young dogs kicked on and going the right direction. Understanding what we’re asking of them, I’d have to say I feel a caught hog, and further more multiple in a day or short time frame, can do more for a young dog, than catching one or 2 a week at the end of mile(s) long races. We know what our seasoned dogs are capable of and love when they go and remind us and we get to latch hold of a good hog after a long race, just feels like sometimes we didn’t accomplish as much when the dust settles if the year old pups got left behind or fell out half way through and didn’t get to see it from start to end. Once you get them sure enough going and they flip that switch. Then comes the fun part “how good are you?”

I am still after a kennel full of “you hear them bark, we’re gonna see the meat at the end” dogs.  Hopefully this cross is another step towards that.

As for the shooting Thomas, I saw the headlines when I woke up for work this am. Heart breaking. I know Dillion through mutual friends/acquaintances. I love a good small town LEO who is out there for the right reasons, he sure seems like one. Hate he had to be apart of an event like that. Everyday it’s another headline make me truly think I won’t ever have kids. I can’t hardly stand this world anymore. Certainly not anything I want to bring children of mine in to. Not a world where I don’t even think I can protect them from someone who wishes to do them harm.

I just wish everyone would leave everyone the heck alone. As long as you arent taking from or hurting someone else, I don’t care what you do. Don’t shove your beliefs and opinions in my face and I promise not to shove mine on you. Even if I think mine are better lol.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2023, 11:02:02 pm »

Good luck with the pups slim. If the work as pretty as they look and follow in their progenitors steps you arta be set up good.
Thank you sir. She had 10 and we are down to 8. Runt didn’t make it through the first night and there was a 2nd that was about 2/3 the size of the others that expired yesterday. Really sucked. For first time, ignorantly, I made the brainless decision to grab a bale of shavings from the horse barn at work and put it in her welping pen. I think it is what cost me for sure the 2nd one if not both. Beat myself up pretty good after fighting for an hour to keep the 2nd alive. Not forsure it’s what happened, but sketch is a great mom so either she knew something was up and they weren’t viable, or I made a mistake with the shavings. 39 pups now and knock on wood she’s gonna wean 37 of them if these 8 make it.

Sadly I’m a huge gyp man. I’ve gotten along with them better, they’ve made the better dogs in this blood it seems, and I just always seemed to pick them. The litter was split at 5 and 5 and both she lost were females. The remaining 3 ain’t leaving, and looks like we’re keeping some males for ourselves too instead of sending them to buddies and other dog men we foster relationships with to really test these dogs. Part of it, but sucks none the less.

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2023, 11:04:54 pm »

Here they are. 2nd pic is whats left. Freaking shavings. What was I thinking.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2023, 06:13:19 am »

We certainly aren’t shortening our dogs up any and I swear by the tone button and having dogs who understand what it means. That’s one of my biggest things about the mentality I want my dogs to have. Need to be focused on the hog and the task at hand, but also keep their Witt’s about them enough to sense all the other things going on around them. Such as me crawling in there and setting up for a shot over them, or toning them out because they’re somewhere we can’t go do our part for them.

We have done our part to make sure we have good relationships with land owners, and a good reputation as young men in the community in general. The day before a hunt I am liable to make 10 different phone calls to people to let them know we’re in the area. Seems these days as small town kids who have done some growing up we find people that used to turn us away in highschool, now calling, asking us if we can come put some pressure on the hogs.

Around the precon yard I manage here, I have over 4k acres blocked up, it is probably somewhere between 20-30 land owners. It’s a lot of work to make sure you communicate with that many people effectively enough to stay in good graces with everyone, but if we don’t do it. We’d be sitting at home wishing we had somewhere to go.

I guess what I meant by my above post was in country with enough hogs, if you’re simply trying to get young dogs kicked on and going the right direction. Understanding what we’re asking of them, I’d have to say I feel a caught hog, and further more multiple in a day or short time frame, can do more for a young dog, than catching one or 2 a week at the end of mile(s) long races. We know what our seasoned dogs are capable of and love when they go and remind us and we get to latch hold of a good hog after a long race, just feels like sometimes we didn’t accomplish as much when the dust settles if the year old pups got left behind or fell out half way through and didn’t get to see it from start to end. Once you get them sure enough going and they flip that switch. Then comes the fun part “how good are you?”

I am still after a kennel full of “you hear them bark, we’re gonna see the meat at the end” dogs.  Hopefully this cross is another step towards that.

As for the shooting Thomas, I saw the headlines when I woke up for work this am. Heart breaking. I know Dillion through mutual friends/acquaintances. I love a good small town LEO who is out there for the right reasons, he sure seems like one. Hate he had to be apart of an event like that. Everyday it’s another headline make me truly think I won’t ever have kids. I can’t hardly stand this world anymore. Certainly not anything I want to bring children of mine in to. Not a world where I don’t even think I can protect them from someone who wishes to do them harm.

I just wish everyone would leave everyone the heck alone. As long as you arent taking from or hurting someone else, I don’t care what you do. Don’t shove your beliefs and opinions in my face and I promise not to shove mine on you. Even if I think mine are better lol.

I agree on all points. It is getting harder and harder finding places to run these Plotts and other long range dogs. Tritronics and Garmen have brought dog training to a whole new level. I myself do not know why anyone would want to be in law enforcement in todays world when it seems so many hate groups are putting a target on them. That being said coming from a family that has several law enforcement people in it, and friends,  I have the utmost respect and admiration for them.
  Slim those are some pretty pups.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2023, 10:23:11 am »

Nice looking pups, I had a mother and daughter that I raised 4 litters off and never lost a pup. A good brood bitch is worth her wt. in gold. I was running different dogs before that with bad mom's and it just sucked to have to worry and fuss with them. I have never used shavings till they are older. Always used blankets and changed them regular. I put a 2x4 on edge about 3" above the floor so the momma couldn't squish one against the wall. Good luck with these pups Slim.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2023, 11:48:34 am »

This is a whelping box I built for a buddy. It’s made out a air handler box, so it’s metal and insulated. There’s the door for the gyp to go in and out and to the left of that there is another cover that can be removed so that a fan can be put on it. There’s a screen on the inside to keep the dogs off of the fan. One end has a handle all the way across so that it can be moved by one person and wheels on the opposite end. There is a full size door on the end with wheels so that you can in and out pretty easy to get pups or clean it. There is a bumper rail around the bottom as well to help prevent pups getting mashed between the wall and the mother. There’s also a place to hang a heat lamp inside.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2023, 11:51:18 am »

And thanks for the well wishes fellas! I know he and I both appreciate it. He’s family of course but way more than that to me. He’s a good man and I’m proud of him. Don’t think I don’t give him hell though! No free passes here, lol.

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2023, 05:47:40 pm »

Nice pups Slim hope they live up to yalls standards.

That's a terrible thing that happened out there and yall ain't lieing the world is about as messed up and volatile as it can be these days it sure does make me worry about my kids and the next generation as a whole.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2023, 09:24:24 pm »

Unfortunately momma has lost 3 pups. All females. She’s doing her damndest, but she’s got a few bad tits and I guess there just wasn’t enough to go around.
 Seems she’s down to a manageable 7 and is taking care of them. This weather surely hasn’t helped. She’s been moved into the garage in a crate the last few days. Not ideal but the weather just isn’t playing fair. She’s got one left that is bit smaller but I’m helping him along with a bottle as I can. Seems he’s doing good. If we can get them all to the 2 week mark this Sunday I think we will be in the clear. Tough deal as we were hoping to move to all females between me and my two hunting buddies. Luckily Rhett and Tim have a litter on the ground a bit older than these out of some good dogs and we got plenty stock to raise to keep us where we want to be come next spring. I think I’ve got my 3 picked barring any of them demanding they stay here as they get closer to weaning. Last 2 females are the sure enough bigguns of the bunch and they will be staying here.

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2023, 11:49:39 am »

This is a whelping box I built for a buddy. It’s made out a air handler box, so it’s metal and insulated. There’s the door for the gyp to go in and out and to the left of that there is another cover that can be removed so that a fan can be put on it. There’s a screen on the inside to keep the dogs off of the fan. One end has a handle all the way across so that it can be moved by one person and wheels on the opposite end. There is a full size door on the end with wheels so that you can in and out pretty easy to get pups or clean it. There is a bumper rail around the bottom as well to help prevent pups getting mashed between the wall and the mother. There’s also a place to hang a heat lamp inside.

That's a sweet dog yard right there, and a really really nice whelping box too!
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2023, 11:59:22 am »

Unfortunately momma has lost 3 pups. All females. She’s doing her damndest, but she’s got a few bad tits and I guess there just wasn’t enough to go around.

Hey Slim I ran into this exact issue too when I bred my very best bitch who was 7 years old last year. She delivered 7 and we had to give her a shot to induce labor to get the last 3 out (still born). She only had 4 or 5 good tits, and so she picked two she didn't want and moved them out on her own. Pretty crazy that she knew, we ended up losing her due to a uterine infection but I was able to save and raise all 5 pups.

Best of luck to you with the pups, they sure look nice. I've been following along with your dogs progression and it's been fun to see. Stay after it!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2023, 12:27:07 pm »

Rednose, this guy is rich so he has the best of everything! He hunts coast to coast and north to south borders. He’s got the best of the best blooded dogs from the who’s who in that world. Some people just have it made!!!

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2023, 06:01:09 pm »

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2023, 06:07:03 am »

Nice pups bud