April 24, 2024, 06:51:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catch dogs  (Read 7639 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2020, 09:02:40 am »

Spending time with them is the key thing, if they spend enough time with you and with a little sense they’ll begin to pick up and learn what everything means and how to react and respond, I use to have a little short legged jug headed bulldog that couldn’t pop a grape but never missed a hog, he always ran loose and was around stock his entire life, I never once had any intent on trying to work cattle with him, but by just always being around and learning what my tones and commands and movements meant he eventually turned into a nice sorting pen hand, I never tired to gather cattle with him and he never offered he’d always follow me on horseback but just stayed by my horse, I never hog hunted him off horseback but scolded him one time for helping my cow dog catch a new calf I was tagging, after that he wouldn’t have anything to do with any cattle out in pasture, but in the sorting pen he’s do just as Tdog described and manned gaps, if I needed to send one down the lane past him he eventually learned what “let’er by” meant, unfortunately he was killed one night by a neighbors big mastiff/apbt looking dog, he outweighed Stroker by every bit of 50 lbs and it was a really cold near freezing night when they tied up, found
 him dead the next morning between the house and sorting pens, and the neighbors dog was never seen again either...
Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2020, 09:22:53 am »

Yea I like ol bulldog stories like that
Lotta people have good stories with good real bulldogs - would like to hear some

I got one - her name was Dixie and  this is bout 17-18 years ago
She was white and fawn spotted pit
Athletic from the start
I got her from a friend that got her from another guy that soon become our friend
I seen Dixie several times as a pup and the first time I saw her I asked if I could buy her and she wasn’t for sell- time passed seen her several times shortly after that and he finally said Luke give me 50 dollars and she is yours - I took ol Dixie home and the fun begins
She caught hogs right off the bat
No Lesh no collars - only my command
She would sit and tremble listening to the bay till I said skit em
She went everywhere with me
She was smart as a whip and I could tell her and make her do  just about anything
She climbed ladders behind me at work
Ran across rafters and would bring me just about what ever I told her to on a construction site -
I swear she was smarter than most  hired helpers -
Kept a towel tied to cooler so she could open lid to get a cold drink out the cooler for me

She would ride on the tool box of my lil hunting truck and sometimes on the roof if she seen something she liked - she would sit on top of the truck and never take her eye of me at a party
One early morning after a “ all night hog hunt “ with some friends and few ladies I come home - I was still  at my parents house and the time - my dad was cutting grass down the drive way and I stopped trying to cover the “hunt where dogs never left the truck type hunt “ and he asked me in a way I never seen him ask did I have a good time?? Knew the question was not a real question and very firm and he rode on. I thought how in the crap he find out bout this “hunt” and I look in the rear view mirror and there is Dixie on the tool box with a natural light beer can in her mouth- ol girl got me in trouble

I could go on and on bout her !
Hunting stories by the dozens -several hogs under her belt and  she needed no help!
She was apart of our team - everyone loved Dixie!
I could show up somewhere and they would ask where is Dixie lol

She got ran over one day by the worst person it could have been and it is completely my fault-
I ran over her racing out the drive because it was raining she had been hunting in the branch and nasty cause she ran the yard loose - I was going to town real quick and wanted her to stay but she weren’t having it  and she ran under the truck -that was her truck and she was supposed to be in it and I was hauling ass to out run her like I did several times but she turned wrong way that day
Young and dumb cost me a good line of bulldogs cause I had planned to bred her very soon

I just talked to the original owner of this dog the other day and we talked about Dixie- tht line got killed out eventually and still trying to get back to having one like this - only dog I remember really crying over

Good ones come and good ones go -till this day I have not owned a dog quite like that - but time spent with a smart dog makes them for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2020, 11:46:53 am »

Those are good stories too. I can’t imagine how sick you were muddy. Both of of those are tuff losses.

Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2020, 09:07:29 am »

I read on another forum once where years ago if I recall correctly it was the Miller Brothers School of Hound Training, they had a curious attraction to the stories of these extremely smart hounds and wanted to know what made these dogs so smart, every account they heard of one of these brilliant hounds they would load up and drive wherever this hound was to study it and see it trying to piece together what made these hounds stand apart from the others, they looked at a pile of dogs over time of various breeds and crosses and used for various game, the only common denominator was all these hounds were raised in the house and most ran loose at home, but every single dog they studied had been raised in or around the house as a member of a family...
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2020, 08:52:52 am »

PJ
Hes a pressa. About 90# lil on small size for the breed. Hes sweet natured..

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2020, 09:06:24 am »

Tell us a little more about him Louie, I've never been around any Presa's nor Alano's and both look interesting.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2020, 09:06:02 am »

Goose,

That makes perfect sense to me. I feel like I’m always trying to learn and change what I’m doing with dogs, trying to find the magic sauce. I’ve had some that I had sleeping inside, and others that I never fooled with in hopes of them having more range. Well my old bulldog Thorn was the first dog I had that was MY dog and not technically my parents. Growing up we always had 1-2 dogs but my parents would never let me get my own dog. I graduated Basic Training and went to AIT, and my uncle called me about that bulldog. He always had real nice pits when I was growing up and I went over to his house to fool with dogs a lot. There was an old man named Jimmy Ray that he had known for years and years, and they would pass dogs back and forth. He said there was a litter on the ground and that if I wanted one he would keep it until I got back. So he kept the most dominant puppy, which turned out to be a great pet/yard dog that would catch anything you directed him at. I got the second most dominant, a nice red puppy. He had him in a pen for about 6 months until I was home, and then I took him with me. I didn’t start hog hunting until he was somewhere around 2 years old. That first part of his life he ran loose often, was in the house sleeping next to my bed, and rode all over the place with me. I’d take him hiking a lot too. He turned out to be a great RCD. He had his quirks, he got to where he absolutely did not want to be in a dog box. At the end of the hunt he would lay down in the woods about 40 yards from the truck and I’d have to go get him. Lord knows he pissed me off a lot, but he was a smart dog and always knew what you were saying. He was a real sweet well mannered dog too. Towards the end of his life my dad had been bugging me about wanting to have him, and I kept telling him that he was crazy, that dog wasn’t going anywhere. Now I wish I would’ve given him to him. He ended up getting out of a pen, and locking up with my lead dog through the hog panel. My lead dog had his head stuck out through it and couldn’t do anything, I’m presuming what killed him was his neck being broken. I have security cameras all around my house, I went back and watched the footage later because I had to know what happened.

I think he got rabies. It had been awhile since I gave the dogs shots and something I never really thought about. On the cameras he came over and laid on the front deck of my little storage building by the kennel. After 30 minutes he randomly got up and attacked the side of the kennel. They were locked up for an hour and 3 minutes if my memory serves me right. He went back and laid down, then randomly would attack the dead body throughout the night. When I got there I thought it was a coyote, until I just happened to see Thorn laying curled up in a bale of wheat straw on the deck. I walked up to him and he never wagged his tail or anything. He looked up with the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen in a dog. You absolutely could see that he knew exactly what he had done and that he knew how awful it was. You see those dogs had been best friends for several years, sleeping together inside the house. He looked up for maybe 3-4 seconds and we just held eye contact, he laid his head back down as if he knew it was time. I went and grabbed my gun and when I came back he never even looked up again. My wife was crying and being loud begging me to take him to the vet to be put down and not to do it myself. Even with all that commotion he never looked up, it was if he knew. I lost two absolutely amazing dogs that day, and still have not recovered from it. I’ve been trying to rebuild the team since that day.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2020, 11:46:05 am »

Just picked this gyp up if everything turns out right I am going to put buck over her in spring maybe she just came off some puppies got get her in shape seems to be real smart and good natured

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Indian Valley Ranch
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2020, 08:06:54 pm »

Just a few of mine out there earning their feed. Standard Type American Bulldogs.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2020, 06:35:27 am »

Those are some good looking bulldogs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2020, 06:47:41 am »

Nice dogs Britt

Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2020, 07:38:37 am »

I like them bulldogs!
Question for you sir... how do the bites come out in most your breedings ?

Indian Valley Ranch
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2020, 08:44:15 am »

Thanks guys, tight reverse scissor predominantly, rarely do I get an under Shot bite. Those can still bite hard usually but their teeth dont last with much use.
Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2020, 10:02:32 am »

Yea sir that’s nice
I asked that question just was curious because I have a real nice AB that just turned 4 and already retired because she had under bite and last big boar before deer season came in she broke out the rest of her K9s
I bred her to a straight pit hoping for straight pups with her head sense and catching ability

TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2020, 06:26:45 am »

I recognize one of those big headed bulldogs Britt! He is still catching! Did Lee send you a pictures of one of his daughters Aspen? What a nice female she is!
williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2021, 08:03:30 pm »

New 1 yr old pup(115 lbs)  I just picked up and started

if you cant be smart quote smart people

the more i learn about people the more i love my dog - Mark Twain
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2021, 01:52:08 pm »

Ive never had or seen a dogo or cd that big, 115lbs Shocked, does he hold up in the endurance department?
williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2021, 02:08:11 pm »

Ive never had or seen a dogo or cd that big, 115lbs Shocked, does he hold up in the endurance department?
He’s definitely at the top of the breed standard haha he actually was just checked by the vet and he’s at 118 lbs he’s a big ol puppy still squats to pee
so far I have no complaints on endurance but he’s GREEN only had him on a hog a few times I cut him loose about 100 yards this past weekend because it was his first bay and at night I knew it’d take him a second to get in there because of his size…he broke the bay trying to find the hog but he ran the hog down after about 75-100 yards and caught it solid bite no regriping or anything was probably caught about 5 minutes max because we left him caught while we tied it so we could watch him make sure he was staying caught solid
so it’ll be after deer season before I’ll have a better idea of his endurance but I’ll keep y’all updated

if you cant be smart quote smart people

the more i learn about people the more i love my dog - Mark Twain
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2021, 02:32:41 pm »

Just a few of mine out there earning their feed. Standard Type American Bulldogs.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Hard to beet a good AB

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: