April 24, 2024, 07:53:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malinois CD  (Read 8448 times)
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 02:06:21 am »

I'm just referring to the question he asked about staying with the hog after being cut. Alot of the these law enforcement dogs quit pretty quick when they take a beating on the street. As far as staying  eared up I'd go with the bulldog. Jmo...
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 02:09:52 am »

Make em sqeel... the only experience I've had was running from them...lol . But seriously no ,other than my sheriff buddies and they say the same....once they take a beating they usually get soft. But hell its worth a  try.
HuntingHeritage
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 08:23:17 am »

Nemo wasn't a Malinois but this speaks to the "gameness" of herding breeds...

Waiting until the cover of darkness, in the suffocating heat of Vietnam, Air Force airman Bob Throneburg started out on patrol with his war dog, Nemo. It was Dec. 4, 1966. Sixty Viet Cong had infiltrated Saigon’s Tan Son Nhut Air Base the night before with a brutal mortar attack, and enemy stragglers remained hidden.

Nemo’s charge was to find them. He was trained to be a killer.

On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, he is celebrated as one of the most heroic of the U.S. K9 Corps, which formed in 1942 and deployed more than 4,000 dogs during the Vietnam War.

That night in Vietnam, the German shepherd’s ears shot up. His body stiffened, hackles raised, tail rigid. He sensed the intruder before Throneburg saw him. The guerrilla tried to flee, but Throneburg fired his M16.

It was the first time in combat for Throneburg, 22, from Albemarle, N.C., who had arrived in Vietnam five months earlier. He couldn’t stop to dwell on the deadly encounter. He and Nemo, alongside another soldier and his dog, continued on their mission.

“The last thing I remember, it was 3 a.m. and I was hiding behind a bulldozer,” Throneburg said.

For a second time, Nemo’s ears shot up, alerting Throneburg to an intruder.

Throneburg turned Nemo loose.

The Viet Cong fired several shots from his AK-47. Throneburg took a hit in his left shoulder, knocking him to the ground. Nemo took one on his nose and lost his right eye. Nemo continued fighting, giving Throneburg time to call for backup.

The other U.S. soldier pulled Throneburg to safety.

“Then I started fading away,” Throneburg said. “Nemo came back and crawled on top of me.”

And there Nemo lay, guarding his handler the way he was taught, refusing to budge. “On a good day, he was just a normal laid-back sentry dog, easygoing,” Throneburg said. But when you got him mad, “he was about as mean as a brokeback snake.”

It took a former handler to finally pry Nemo off.

In a 1967 article in Air Force News, the base veterinarian was quoted as saying: “He was in pretty bad shape. I had to do skin grafts on his face and perform a tracheotomy to help him breathe. His right eye had to be removed, but even this didn't lessen his ability. It only made his other senses – hearing and smell – more sensitive.”

Nemo and nuclear worker Bob Throneburg
Nemo. Bob Throneburg today.
Throneburg and Nemo were reunited one last time at the base hospital. In a photo taken that day, Nemo leans in toward a smiling Throneburg as the handler scratches his companion’s neck. They never saw each other again.

Throneburg was airlifted to a hospital in Japan and underwent five surgeries over seven months to repair his shoulder. “It hurts every day of my life,” he said. “Every day. It never goes away. It always hurts. I’m starting to lose quite a bit of mobility.”

Nemo recuperated at Tan Son Nhut before retiring from active duty. He became the face of the K9 Corps, used to help recruit thousands of dogs into the service. He died in 1972 at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, where his kennel stands as a memorial.

Throneburg received two Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star medal. Back in North Carolina, he earned a degree in architectural drafting and took a job in 1976 in the drafting department at McGuire Nuclear Station. He retired from Duke Energy in 1999 but returned in 2001 and works as a contractor in the planning department at the Catawba Nuclear Station in South Carolina. He is 73.

https://nuclear.duke-energy.com/2017/11/07/a-soldier-and-the-dog-that-saved-his-life

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2020, 01:54:51 pm »

Got him on a big fat sow this weekend. He was the only CD and was caught about 7 or 8 minutes, I had to pry him off the ear a few minutes after the hog had bled out. He was locked on solid again, this sow was working him pretty hard as I was watching his catching style for a few minutes before legging it. He is defiantly a "clean" holder or as Ive come to understand the different types of holding that is what I call it, meaning as the hog would position him against trees etc he would move his body out of the way but not let go of the ear, that said he was fighting the hog more than I like trying to rip its ear off, but that was mostly after I stuck it and it was lying down. But so far so good in this experiment Im doing. There bone structure is so much lighter than a bulldogs Im still curious how they will hold up long term.. but seems to have no issues with lugging up on an ear. His speed did come in handy as I cut him from about 30 yds and it broke as soon as I did and he had it stopped in less than 100 yds.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2020, 03:36:54 pm »

Please keep giving the updates, this something that has interested me in several years. I had some brief messages with a guy that hog hunts, as well as trains k9’s for various SOF units. He said he has seen a few Mals make good strike dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »

Please keep giving the updates, this something that has interested me in several years. I had some brief messages with a guy that hog hunts, as well as trains k9’s for various SOF units. He said he has seen a few Mals make good strike dogs

will do, im liking what Im seeing so far, and am hoping to keep straight mal/dutch sh.'s as a cd but im convinced it would still be a better cross (if needed) than any other type of dog ( for catching ) to a bulldog type breed bc you dont loose the bite instincts while adding the endurance of a cur type. I know for a fact you can get these dogs striking, they use their nose allot but, have not personally considered letting one hunt bc Id assume they would be caught to far off instead of bayed, in general but idk...so far the one im hunting now and the 2 ive owned in the past as pets (never hunted them but used them in a pen/trap a few times) Ive never seen one bay, straight catch in he 3 ive owned.
Northstar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 11:51:02 pm »

You don’t think you could give a command to do a hold And bark?

What do you mean the bite? You don’t mean the bite harder then a bulldog or pitbull do you?
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 01:30:45 pm »

That guy I’m talking about said that the ones he hunted started getting rangy because once they figured out they were there for pigs their drive pushed them to hunt harder. This guy is also working dogs that are coming from overseas and are a completely different caliber of dog than what most of us would see here in the states. Special operations imports most if not all of their dogs from overseas. I would like to see one crossed with a really nice pit, and then an offspring crossed to a cur.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 09:32:18 am »

That guy I’m talking about said that the ones he hunted started getting rangy because once they figured out they were there for pigs their drive pushed them to hunt harder. This guy is also working dogs that are coming from overseas and are a completely different caliber of dog than what most of us would see here in the states. Special operations imports most if not all of their dogs from overseas. I would like to see one crossed with a really nice pit, and then an offspring crossed to a cur.

I would say the ones I have would defiantly hunt if allowed, I just wont let them for the same reason I keep any cd on a lead to the bay bc I dont want them caught with me 30 minutes away. The caliber of my mals are not like his but still the breed likes to bite and use its nose from the ones Ive seen.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 09:39:37 am »

You don’t think you could give a command to do a hold And bark?

What do you mean the bite? You don’t mean the bite harder then a bulldog or pitbull do you?

Im sure someone who works with them all the time could they are real smart, but someone like me who is just avg hunter probably not, when mine hear a bay they get stupid excited like any cd

No I dont think anything can bite harder than a bulldog breed including these shepherds, imo they can hold almost as hard though with much more endurance and speed though. Not sure what your referencing but I think I just meant these dogs are bred to catch humans or do bite work so its a natural instinct to them just like pits catch, birddogs point etc. They often are referred to as maligators for good reason, if you ever are around them even while they are being sweet playing etc they bite your arm chomp there teeth love to tug etc

Northstar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 11:26:16 pm »

I have been around them a little bit. I was asking what you meant by it.

I am glad to hear you are happy so far. The only person a dog has to satisfy is the one buying the feed.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2020, 02:15:34 pm »

Quick update: Caught 3 with him, 1 nice boar, 1 nice sow and an 80 lb shoat. He gutted the shoat. UNFORTUNANTLY for my experiment of using a pointy eared catch dog I didnt love what I  saw bc he was caught on the leg. 1st 2 he was on the ear, the last 2 he was on back leg.(only caught 4 hogs so far not counting shoats)

In his defense and why im going to try a few more times to see how it plays out is I sent him in from 100 and 200 yds out in real thick briars to settle the bay, the curs were walk jog baying and we couldnt get within 50 yds bc of the pigs not baying up solid/ constantly walking (very dogged, thick area) He defiantly put the breaks on them and after walking for hours to the bay from one side of the 4 acre pond to the other I was glad to end the race and drink a beer on the 2 200lbers. All that said I have had some straight ear bulldogs in the past that when used to stop a runner instead of sending them into a bay that would catch on the leg or other odd spots but be on the ear like usual when it was used like normal for me of being sent to a solid still bay.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2020, 06:53:58 am »

Did you try to groom him at all the 2 times he was on the leg?

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2020, 12:36:49 pm »

Did you try to groom him at all the 2 times he was on the leg?

No but I should have, it was so thick, I was worn out from belly crawling through the briars & crap, all 4 of the curs were on head kind of a cluster f.  I just stuck it
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2020, 12:55:00 pm »

I understand that. We’ve probably all had that sentiment before. Another thing is, if there were 4 cur dogs on the head and depending on which way the hog was facing etc., he may not have been able to get on the ear in that kind of thicket.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2020, 01:03:17 pm »

I understand that. We’ve probably all had that sentiment before. Another thing is, if there were 4 cur dogs on the head and depending on which way the hog was facing etc., he may not have been able to get on the ear in that kind of thicket.

Thats defiantly what I was thinking, I barely had room to stick it. I bet and hope he gets back on the ear, time will tell. He defiantly stopped them though, even though they were bayed solid the hogs were moving faster than we could walk through the thickets, we couldnt get within 50 yds until I sent him in. I didnt want to cut him from farther than that bc of how slow it was getting through it but sometimes you got to say F it and cut em  Grin Worked out good enough this time...
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 01:49:26 pm »

I expect a cd to knock a bay dog off the pigs ear, but the ears were defiantly swallowed up
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 03:07:06 pm »

Lol good deal

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2020, 09:54:00 am »

I wouldn’t get discouraged yet. Every one of my dogs will catch on the ear if they have the opportunity, but if the ears are taken they’ll grab what they can. If it seems to be a persisting problem you can work with him on targeting the same way a k9 handler would train him to target certain areas of the human body. As smart as those dogs typically are, I would think that would prove to be fairly easy.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 07:06:27 pm »

Update # 5 hog. Got him on a good rank 150ish lb boar today with a nice set of all 4 dog cutters. 3 loose bay dogs, not mine, but different than mine they didnt help catch at all. He was on the ear like pit, solid, the more the boar slammed him in the tree or the briars the harder he held the ear. Love what I saw today  Sad Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: