April 24, 2024, 05:08:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malinois CD  (Read 8446 times)
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2020, 03:35:36 pm »

Just got my 18 mo old malinois shepherd to his first bay. Led him in to about 75 yards and cut him to a nice fat sow and he was lugged up on the ear holding good like a cd should. Do any of yall know anyone else using them a CD's? If so are they hard enough to stay caught even when it gets western? (obviously I know some are/ but are they generally hard enough)

IMO having quality cds speed and endurance is key when hardness is equal.  Ive had some real athletic scott bred ABS, dogos, and game bred pits but I can promise you none of those breeds can hang with the endurance and speed of a dutch or malinois shepherd. I hope there hard enough, they are on people
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 08:16:08 am »

Time will tell on the hardness. I agree with your important points. One more essential point for me is brains. I would question the hardness of them like you. My other question would be durability. With their size and frame how much are they going to be able to take if used consistently on hunt after hunt of multiple hogs. Of course 2 catch dogs at a time will make things easier but I want dogs I can use solo for a long time. They are a freakishly athletic animal with a ton of drive for sure. I'm interested to see how they work out for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 11:12:20 am »

I would also have questions about their excitability, will they be able to calm down after the catch and not grab a bay dog or a person. If they can do that it goes a long way towards being a good catch dog.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 01:00:52 pm »

I would also have questions about their excitability, will they be able to calm down after the catch and not grab a bay dog or a person. If they can do that it goes a long way towards being a good catch dog.

have had no issues with any agro at all. even with my other ones in yrs past I used in a pen to start pups. Ill keep yall updated on my Mal/Dutch CD experiment. They defiantly have the drive, speed, agility and endurance. I to wonder about the durability but I only hunt 2 or 3 times a month so probably wont matter much with my schedule. So far so good, he defiantly caught solid on the ear his first chance/time he saw a pig. He had only seen shoats before and he would kill/gut them but not catch them, he was on the ear like a cd should be on the first one he saw over 100lbs
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 06:12:30 pm »

Been tossing this thought around for several years now about using a mal as a cd, I’m sure there’s just as many hard ones as there is soft ones but what first got me to pondering the idea was the train ability and athleticism these dogs possess, if they are stable minded enough to go into battle along side our soldiers then I’d like to believe they can be trained and conditioned for catch dog work, my cousins ex husband was in a military unit that had a canine sector and the things he said he saw these dogs do and go through during actual combat would put their “gameness” and loyalty to handler right there amongst the APBT, w/o going into detail on the net and to make it short he said that a lot of them would literally be taking their last breaths while still trying to complete a commanded task, I have some pretty good connections with the canine unit at a local state prison just down the rd from my house and have been given the opportunity to get a mal on a few occasions but they’re not using the phenotype I’m looking for, there’s seem to be a bit more bulkier and thicker coated than what I’d like....
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 10:18:43 am »

Been tossing this thought around for several years now about using a mal as a cd, I’m sure there’s just as many hard ones as there is soft ones but what first got me to pondering the idea was the train ability and athleticism these dogs possess, if they are stable minded enough to go into battle along side our soldiers then I’d like to believe they can be trained and conditioned for catch dog work, my cousins ex husband was in a military unit that had a canine sector and the things he said he saw these dogs do and go through during actual combat would put their “gameness” and loyalty to handler right there amongst the APBT, w/o going into detail on the net and to make it short he said that a lot of them would literally be taking their last breaths while still trying to complete a commanded task, I have some pretty good connections with the canine unit at a local state prison just down the rd from my house and have been given the opportunity to get a mal on a few occasions but they’re not using the phenotype I’m looking for, there’s seem to be a bit more bulkier and thicker coated than what I’d like....

Interesting & thanks for the input, a friend of mine was in Iraq with his and said you couldnt physically beat it off a person while they were alive and struggling, his verbal command was only way he would let go. The freak athletic ability of these dogs has me wanting to see how they do. youtube the amazing malinois, only like 5 min but speaks for itself. The previous 2 I owned before this one im catching with now never got tired, even in summer would pace the 2 acre fence all day. I am going to try straight mals for now but even if used to cross to a bulldog it seems better than a stag or greyhound to me for our cd purposes, bc they are bred to use their mouth and nose dont mature late and are as fast imo.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 10:20:14 am »

FYI he is a male if any of yall want to breed to him, I dont want a pup or anything for it other than feed back. Imo a half mal half game bred pit would be a scary dog lol
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 11:46:02 am »

Gary Hammonds ended up with some of those crosses and tried several times to get me to take one and I went out and looked at them on a chain and they did scare the bejesus out of me. It might be different getting one as a pup but these full grown psycho acting beasts had me buffaloed. They were some physical specimens.
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 03:23:40 pm »

a budy of mine switched from german shepards to these, for the endurance.. but his german sheperd was on point!!
PLOTS. lol

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 04:10:55 pm »

a budy of mine switched from german shepards to these, for the endurance.. but his german sheperd was on point!!
PLOTS. lol

They defiantly have more endurance than GSD's. Was he catching hogs with his GSD successfully? Similar breeds for similar uses but I would just keep my dogos or abs compared to a GSD
Northstar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 05:50:14 pm »

I hope they work out for you! I would ask why has no one in Europe done this? The reason I can come up with is they have been culled and tested for bite work on humans for few decades.

How do they handle hard work in high heat?
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 06:11:58 pm »

I hope they work out for you! I would ask why has no one in Europe done this? The reason I can come up with is they have been culled and tested for bite work on humans for few decades.

How do they handle hard work in high heat?

Their heat tolerance, speed, and endurance just cant be matched by a GSD or any bulldog type breed. One reason is a 2nd undercoat making them more heat tolerant than a GSD. Ive owned one most of my life and would compare their heat tolerance/endurance to a cow dog like a BMC or Catahoula.  My last female would pace a 2 acre fence line ALL day in the middle of summer, my males are a bit lazier by personality but could if they wanted to.
Northstar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 11:14:16 pm »

That is great to hear we imported a few dozen in the early 2003-2006ish. From Europe speed and intensity was desirable but not close to the level of a Gamebred apbt as far as endurance and the humidity would cut work sessions down. Seemed to me that it was all go and no pace to them. Once it was on there was no pacing to them. You can’t compare them to a GSD has to be to a APBT.

Keep us up to date. 
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 10:32:26 pm »

yes his dog was the real deal. payed 30k from Sacramento SWAT to get it and then payed about 15k a year to mantain his training... never seen anything like it before or since.. could hunt, bark, catch,  bite,stop,  all on command..

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 11:00:42 pm »

Put em in the box with a game breed dog,that tell you right away. Nothing is gonna stay hooked like a bulldog cut down or healthy.  I see no comparison...just my thoughts.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 12:59:18 pm »

Put em in the box with a game breed dog,that tell you right away. Nothing is gonna stay hooked like a bulldog cut down or healthy.  I see no comparison...just my thoughts.

do you have any experience with mals or dutches? I know a real pit will never let go but that doesnt mean there are not other breeds that catch right, ie my scott bred ab's or ppc dogos. I honestly dont know bc Im the first one I know using one of these on hogs. so far so good in a pen and the woods, hopefully a few more over thanksgiving to update.  The military friends I have say pain wont make them let go of people
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 01:03:31 pm »

plus a dog fight to the death or cur out is a different world vs catching a hog and not letting go. I will put my dogos etc against any hog in any terrain vs any pit and they will be as good or better but imo a 40lb pit in a pit fight would kill them most the time
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 09:44:51 pm »

I dont know the percentages but just to throw a figure out there, probably 90% of the pits used on hogs are not game to the death in a pit. I for one dont need a dog that hot and even tho I have had a couple of pits killed on a hog, that just makes them game enough to hang on to a hog until you get there.  Whole different story where you are rolling dogs from 1/2 hour on up. That is where true gameness shows up.  There are quite a few breeds of dogs that make good catch dogs for hog hunting.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 11:31:20 pm »

Totally agree with you Cajun, I got my first APBT in 79 and have been immersed in them since . It is my opinion that making a truly gamebred pitbull a catchdog is a crapshoot. So many of them are gonna be too excitable and or too dog aggressive to make a good catchdog and too many are too small. Now if you start with a good one and selectively breed for the good catchdog traits like some of the guys are doing you will get there. There is a good chance that some of these Malinois can make a hand as a lot of breeds have made catch dogs that are no where near as athletic and intense as this breed.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 08:26:07 am »

I totally agree with you Cajun and Joel. There isn’t a breed out there that is 100% stay when faced with adversity. I have seen several pits quit in the heat of the moment for anything from getting a tooth knocked out, getting cut, to just getting their butt kicked. We recently caught a really rank boar that had about 2 1/2- 3” teeth. He was about 180-190 pounds and bad. He had already wrecked another fellas bay dog in there. Sent the catch dogs into a ridiculous briar thicket, literally curtains of briars. One hit but was tangled and a hell of a fight took place. The hog broke and that was his mistake. He made the jewels available for the bay dogs. The other guys bulldog ( all pit) got there and took a thrashing and decided he would help bay. The other bulldog (lab/pit) got there, he was the one that was tangled up, and went in and caught it. He was cut all to hell in front of the vest where the jaw meets the throat. I’m sure this happened because he was reaching for the hog when he was tangled up. By the time we got the dogs off the hog and the hog dead so was the pit/lab.  This is just an example to show that catch dog game is a case by case basis in my opinion. The true game bred dogs are more likely to be more consistent in catch dog game ness but as we all know, catch dog game is only one of many traits needed to be a good catch dog. Game don’t mean didly if they can’t catch a paper sack or make more trouble than you can fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: