April 18, 2024, 10:03:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malinois CD  (Read 8048 times)
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2021, 07:13:56 pm »

Had to rip him off the ear after the pig died, solid catch. How he approached the ear and wanted it today, Im pretty sure the last 2 he caught on the leg was bc it was so thick, curs had the ears, and I sent him into runners. He was all ear today though despite the thicket he was in. Im happy 4 sure.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2021, 02:33:54 pm »

That’s good. Hope he keeps it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2021, 10:26:21 am »

That’s awesome buddy, post some pics of him!

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2021, 03:25:10 pm »

malinois/dutch sh's #6, 150 lb boar, sent him in to a solid bay from 100 yds, open country in a creek on the side of awinter  wheat field. caught solid on the ear when we got there and stuck it. Nothing special but good to see.

Biggest complaint is he pulls on a leash more than I like but rides wheeler good and is a fast sob. Caught the boar at the end of the hunt after having his leash tied to the wheeler that he trotted beside most all of the hunt and still had plenty of gas to go.

Thought it was going to be a bigger boar bc 5 curs were baying that usually catch 150-200 lbers when all together and it wasnt squealing but he was lugged up on the ear none the less. So far Im liking my experiment and plan on getting another one instead of a dogo or scott bred ab. 1st time in 2 decades I wont have a bulldog lol. My buddies are defiantly making fun of me for having a pointy eared cd but I bet they end up with one before its all over  Cheesy

one fyi is these sh's differ from German Sh's by having a 2nd undercoat making them much more heat tolerant,  IMO I could get the right pit,AB,Dogo in as good of shape or as fast as a GSD but these are different, there speed and endurance is like a cur or hound and cant be matched by a bulldog, but they catch like one from what im seeing, they are bred for bite work.
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2021, 03:44:22 pm »

I am glad he's working for you but until you see if he can stand up after 100 or 300 hogs you can't judge how well it works. And until you know if he isn't one of a kind it's hard to know how they will do. The ab and pit have been bred to be able to take some punishment,  I hope for your sake the shepherds will too. Good luck with it and keep feeding him hogs.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2021, 01:45:34 pm »

I am glad he's working for you but until you see if he can stand up after 100 or 300 hogs you can't judge how well it works. And until you know if he isn't one of a kind it's hard to know how they will do. The ab and pit have been bred to be able to take some punishment,  I hope for your sake the shepherds will too. Good luck with it and keep feeding him hogs.

I agree we need to see if their frame holds up over the long haul bc their bone structure is thinner than any bulldog. As athletic as they are I bet they do but defiantly on my watch list. IMO I dont think in any way mine is the exception to the rule regarding catching. This is my 4th one personally and all 4 of mine would catch and did, I just never let them outside of controlled situations bc they were my family pet. My other friend who has had 5 or 6 now had all but 1 of his catch, but same thing he only let them in controlled situations for fun bc he has good abs and his sh's are his inside pets. They are specifically bred for bite work ...
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2021, 02:59:38 pm »

Caught 3 more hogs with him this week in the Tx snow, power was out so made a hunt. On the ear hard had to be broke off 2 of the hogs after they were dead.
1 hog he was caught on the back leg bc the 2 other cds were on the ear 1st, I got to the bay late, it was already squealing but I cut him anyhow so I didnt have to lead him, when dogs bay his lead in calmly skills are not there lol. One of the 2 things with the 9 hogs hes caught that is different than avg. bulldogs, is if there is not an open ear he wont knock a dog off to get the ear he will just catch somewhere else, the other thing is he has not caught shoats he guts/kills them.  If there is an ear open hes on it like clock work, caught hard no regripping.
He has not broke a bay yet he didnt shut down within a short race and holds real clean keeping his body out of bad spots when possible, the meaner the hog the harder he gets, liking what I see so far, the speed and endurance is a very noticeable strength.

On the way to our curs baying (we were still 900 yds away) a pig ran out of the woods saw our atvs and ran back in the tree line, since we had him and 2 other finished cds and curiosity got to me I cut him loose where the pig ran out, he ran in the woods nose down and caught it about 60 yds from where we cut him, no bark straight ear sent my finished dogo to him bc it was grunting and not squealing, stuck it and almost threw my back out trying to rip them off the ears.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2021, 05:40:02 pm »

Sounds like a nice dog. Sounds like he’s getting it figured out pretty quick.

WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2021, 06:43:44 pm »

Sounds like he is doing what he should. But it sounds like you need a parting stick.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2021, 06:55:26 pm »

Sounds like he’s making a hog dog! That’s awesome man, looking forward to hearing more updates on his progress

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2021, 01:05:46 pm »

I will quit updating this thread until my next malinois (future pup) is starting and how it progresses, or if something that matters happens. Caught 4 more good hogs with him last weekend, on the ear breaking off with a break stick after hog dies. Hes a solid cd. Due to their speed and endurance Im officially out of bulldogs or dogos for the first time in 20 yrs, going to get another one and see how it goes.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2021, 07:52:51 pm »

I’m glad he’s working out for you. Sounds like the proof is in the puddin. Good luck

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2021, 04:20:15 pm »

Something unique happened worth commenting on. Caught 4 more with him since last post, The last 3 were good sized sows, normal situation, sent to bay from 60 yds caught ear solid. But a few weekends ago sent him to a bay on a small hog, bigger than a shoat but little, the bay broke when I cut him, went 900 yds and took us a while to get to it, pretty hot out and when we got there he was bayed solid, at first I was pissed. But after he caught solid after that on the ear Im glad he was smart enough to not die of a heat stroke
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2021, 07:29:16 pm »

I appreciate this post. Most people don’t share the challenges or shortcomings of their dogs. It took courage and honesty for you to do it.
-
I hunt stag/bulldog crosses as catch dogs. I catch more pigs with them due to their speed and athleticism. I’ll be the first to admit that they will make an occasional bad move when they are young. As they mature, they will be straight catch. I describe them as bulldogs lite! I run them
In pairs to be safe.
-
Ain’t nothing wrong with your dog. My personal opinion is that you are asking a lot of any dog to catch solo consistently.
-
Best of luck with him!

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2021, 10:12:55 pm »

That is catching like a really rough smart Curdog, I've known of a number of them that would catch at first contact, if the cavalry didn't arrive and the hog would stand they'd back up and bark until they heard or saw the boss coming and catch again.

Doc, I still favor Ol'Grip for the way I use one haha, we don't get many chances to catch one that isn't bayed. He did run one down that was loose and catch it "the one I had said he caught by the hind leg" and a few hunts ago he did miss a big sow that he had to come head to head with and got slapped but he ran it down and caught it within 50 yards, and  he got out ran on some he had winded but did not see, other than that he has batted 1000 this year and will be 2 yrs old in a few days, just barely got to start him last year due to back trouble I'd had. The first bay I used him on in Louisana he was slow to go , it was a single dog bayed and I had been schooling on him about staying with me.  He likes his job, this morning I loaded some dogs and left "wasn't going hog hunting" and my wife said he whined and howled for an hour until she went out and scolded him, he was heart broken that he couldn't go haha.
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2021, 06:38:04 am »

That is the way I like my curdogs like the old man said. You can catch a lot of hogs with a dog like that.
I use female catchdogs and when they are in heat, I can take my curdogs, vest them, and lead them in as catchdogs and they take right to it if needed. You can catch a lot of hogs with that dog.

I have mine tone broke now and over 100yds after a broken bay she comes back. Thats when bad things happen to catch dogs. She will be 10 in July.

I got a yellow bmc from texas and he has a very "looser" baying style. He is starting to bay hogs on his own and not very rough.  It has been a learning experience for the bulldog.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2021, 04:17:42 pm »

I caught 3 more decent hogs with him Saturday.  Caught on ear solid no regripping no baying etc. 2 of the bays took me a longer while than I like to get to him but was no issue with him letting go etc.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2021, 04:19:33 pm »

Im ready to get another one from my buddy and see how it starts, have  2 other friends getting one as well to add into this experiment Ill update on once we start them...
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2021, 09:55:08 pm »

You got me wanting one. My 8 month old English pointer thinks he’s a catch dog. Took a whooping and still held ear. He’s more over the top than the pointer cur crosses I have. I need to get him some backup before he and my bay dogs get cut down. They seem to be very very lightly built

Mathews mission venture
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2021, 12:47:37 pm »

After taking most of summer off made a run Sunday am. He picked up where he left off, we caught a rank, big a$$ boar with all the ivory (broke one off in the tussle) and a nice eating sow. Caught solid on the ear didnt let go until the hogs were blead out, and that boar gave him or any cd ive seen all he could handle.

The female Im breeding him to should be in heat this month/soon if anyone is interested in pups, there full blooded malinois but not papered, there is no GSD etc. in them, out of working cop, military and bite working lines. Getting the papers on him and this bitch was not worth the extra $500 per dog, especially since Im using them for catching and dont sell pups for profit, only doing this breeding bc im going to raise a pup. 

If anyone will post some pics on this thread pm me your cell so I can text you some proof of these stories lol to post on this thread.  Or if not how do I post pics on here from my phone?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: