April 28, 2024, 01:15:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's hear some Cold Trailing stories  (Read 1584 times)
Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2020, 04:20:33 pm »

I’m gone jump on this one with y’all
But mine ain’t near as good as y’all’s I’m sure
I’ve had a several hunts that stand out but this is my best cold trail I remember

One Sunday morning couple boys wanted to go- I weren’t all into it cause we had a pretty good Saturday morning and caught several... they talked me into it and I said we will go try “ol three legs “
He had a reputation around here . He had been shot and dogged several times to just keep living.

I thought to myself self this gone be a joke although I had good confidence in my dogs at the time-
I was hunting two Red dogs - male and a female
Ol Red and Jesse - they passed about the time I joined this board but hunted ol Red many years as he lived to be 13 and Jesse didn’t live me bout 4 years before she went out doing what she was pretty good at anyway....
I told them boys we only turning loose if the big hog crossed the dirt road - they said ok
Well sure enuff “ol three legs” crossed and I know for sure it weren’t there the day before but one truck had been over his tracks- not a road used that much and not really clear when the hog came across but put Red and Jesse down and could tell they could smell it but no great - just waited ..... 30 minutes they had only got bout 100 yards and I said to the guys wait here they didn’t go a 100 yards for nothing let me push it a hair- well I got to em and it was like they understood me cause I had done this time and time with them on numerous occasions just track hunting - well the left 200,300,400,500, on and on 900 , 0.5
This is a cotton field and they got out of the field at about 850 and went into a big bottom with big creek

I told them boys they got it but I don’t see em crossing the creek with it - the creek was about .85 from us and the hogs almost never bedded on our side of creek- they got to .85 right at the creek and I was watching Garmin like a tv- showed Red in the Creek then showed Jesse in the creek- they crossed y’all I told the boys - I said if they go several hundred more and make a right bend down the creek might better head there way - well took em awhile they never stopped kept easing away from the creek and looked like they was bending to the right kinda like I wanted em to- dropped communication then at bout 1.2 - so we headed to em and got in bout line where I dropped em at - we still in the field - couldn’t get em- could t get em picky for crap- we went down in bottom and finally got em- picked up they were 750 from us headed straight Down the creek - they headed for his bedroom - they keep going and we now start following em - we had been on four wheelers we get on foot and take the bulldogs with us . We get within 500 of them and they have not said a word yet- these dogs trail silent and bark when jumped- at this point I’m getting pretty excited and don’t remember how far they were when I heard Ol Red let out his ol locate baaaaaaawwwwwwllllllll with followed chopping and Jesse was right with him like normal with her  high pitched hhoowwllls with many chops to follow- I said I be dang boys they got him - they showed sitting down on the garmin- Let’s roll boys and it started pouring rain bout that time - which was ok cause it was pretty warm- then he got rope put on his feet- it was a good but sad day - good hog good dog work no cuts everything safe but end of the “ol three legs “ story   This hog had killed several dogs in his day a lived through a few rifle shots but I had to take him out - farmers orders

I went back that afternoon as I had been thinking out the hunt and took garmin back down there and measured out from the dirt road to the creek to cutover to his bed - right at 2.1 miles
 Not bad for my ol potlickers

I do know and believe conditions have a lot to do with hunting and seems they were right that morning it when things like that happen you can’t take it away from them just enjoy it
I will always miss them two dogs they weren’t the best but they were consistent and I like tht

I like all y’all’s stories hope u like mine here is “ol three legs
 “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: