March 28, 2024, 05:36:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been A While  (Read 516 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2020, 07:42:38 am »

Well, life has been hectic and I haven’t ran dogs in a while. I think it was about 4 months from the last time I had hunted. I took two dogs and my RCD to hunt with some new friends that got linked up with me through a mutual friend. They have a team of young dogs that they’re starting, I think these fellas just started hunting about 6-7 months ago and they are in it head over heels haha. They love it and have been running every weekend. I took em to a spot I knew would be somewhat dry with all the rain we’ve had recently, ended up catching 5 hogs. Not a bad day at all, dogs all worked well and we had a good time

Got a litter of pups on the ground right now too. They just turned 11 weeks old and are all looking nice and healthy. I kept 3 that I have really high hopes for. I took them with me to put some corn out and let them run the woods for a few hours, they’re already ranging out individually and even swam a water ditch a few times, so I couldn’t complain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 08:40:29 am »

Sounds like a good hunt. Good time and good dog work is what it’s all about.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:21:42 am »

T-dog,

Yessir. The two dogs I’m holding are the parents of the pups. Both have been sitting up for a while. The male was my young dog that got ran over last March. This was his first time hunting since then and he did great. The mom I got this year from a buddy of mine in the upstate. She’s a real nice dog that’s 1/2 walker 1/2 pit. She stays fairly close if there’s no sign but as soon as she picks up a track she takes her time lining it out and then is in it until the hog is caught with plenty of bottom. She will stay busy hunting the whole time too, checking in every 10-15 minutes. There’s no doubt when she strikes that she’s gonna have a hog at the end of it, she’s consistent and true. Helping my young dogs out a lot

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 01:21:44 pm »

They’re nice looking dogs. She doesn’t show the pit in her appearance, not in that picture anyway. Good luck with’em.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 06:39:56 pm »

That was a good hunt with some good looking dogs and pups.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 06:38:00 am »

T-dog, she definitely has more of a walker look. You can really only see the pit in the shape of her head. She used to be totally silent but as she’s gotten older she has gotten to where she will start to open up if she’s right behind it. She’s 6 or 7 now and starting to slow down a little bit, but if you hear barking the hog will usually have teeth on it within a few minutes.

Cajun, was thank ya sir! I was more than happy with them. That young male dog was really looking good before he got ran over, after he recovered I kept him put up until I had puppies on the ground. I didn’t want to set myself back like I did before after having to start over once my lead dog and catch dog were dead. He did better than I expected for his first trip back out. Some more boot time and some more swine and I think he will make a really nice dog

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: