March 29, 2024, 05:08:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MUDGRIP'S FOR MY MULE/ONE OF TODAY'S PROJECTS  (Read 1325 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2020, 06:48:46 pm »

I had dummied up and let both of our mules feet get away from me while I wasn't hardly riding them for a while, and finally just before I got down in my back I trimmed them once and then was not able to again until late spring. (To hard headed to hire it done haha) anyway the yellow mules feet are back to normal and in great shape, the dun mare mule has one hind foot normal and the other almost, on the front one is really good and the other has not came around as I would like it to, so I decided to try some corrective measures. I am aware of multiple ways to work on this but don't like to ride a mule in steep rocky country with iron shoes unless you go to the effort to put drill tech or borex on their shoes. So I decided to cut a pad or shoe out of the tread of a tire and build up a "frog support" in it as frog pressure is the best way to take care of contracted heels, and originally hers were so bad she had broken out at the quarters and the heels had caved in completely covering her frog, the frog had shrunk until they were about as wide as your finger is. Anyway here is the redneck/hillbilly effort at correcting the problem. Did do both front feet so she wouldn't be lop sided haha.

FROG SUPPORE UNDER THE COMBO PAD AND SHOE

COUNTERSUNK NAILS WITH SMALL WASHERS SO AS TO NOT ALLOW THEM TO PULL THROUGH THE RUBBER

JUST PUT 4 NAILS IN TO ALLOW HEELS TO FLEX AND EXPAND

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 07:28:18 pm »

I figured Cajun would get a kick out of this haha.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 07:48:01 pm »

Clue that is thinking outside the box. As you well know Mules have a lot more heel then horses and it is easy for them to develop crushed or collasped heels if they are nor trimmed regular. I used to shoe some trail riding mules and I would cut the heels down a little more if I shod them then when I just trimmed them so they would get some frog pressure. Looks like a good job with the insert for frog pressure. My only question is did you use Michelin or Goodyear? lol

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:10:40 pm »

That was actually a big lawn mower tire, I didn't want steel belted tires haha. To get the frog support I used two pie shaped pieces or old conveyor belt glued together and then glued to the shoe.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 07:50:57 am »

Let us know what kind of mileage you get out of those. Had a fella tell me once that I was a horse shoeing S.O.B and that was his go to from now on. I asked him why is that. He said it’s been 16 weeks and them shoes you put on are still on. Guess I did better the next time because he still hasn’t called. It’s been a few years lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 01:19:07 pm »

Clue you might really be onto something there, it’s solutions like this to problems like that where change and innovation comes from, have you ever heard of anyone doing this before, not that I’d think it would help but we use to “scuff” the tires on dirt late model race cars to give the tires more surface grabbing ability, doubt it would have any effect on an application like this but certainly doesn’t hurt to entertain the thought....
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 07:39:02 pm »

Heck yea I like that hope they get good mileage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 01:41:39 pm »

Thats awesome
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 04:46:45 pm »

Hey Clue, On the first picture with that crack in the heel, there is only one way to get rid of it and that is to dig it out to solid hoof. I am sure he has White Line Disease but the only way I have had success getting rid of cracks is to dig it out to solid hoof  and treat it. White Line disease is very common down here where it is wet so much of the year. Just a suggestion and worth what you paid for it. lol
  Also if those nails do not hold you could try screwing it in to the hoof if your mules have decent feet.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 06:58:39 am »

Cajun have you ever used cotton on a crack? If you dig all the dirt and mud out you can take cotton and pack it in the crack. Put a little in then put some iodine on it. Do this until the crack is full of cotton and iodine. It will help dry it out and prevent dirt from getting up in the crack. It’s been my experience that the continuous packing of dirt into is what causes it to continue to grow. The cotton will usually stay and can be removed and repacked each trimming. If it’s white line this isn’t going to fix it.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 04:00:32 pm »

No t dog I have never tried that. In most places in the south if they have a crack, they have WLD. The only way I have had success is to dig the crack all the way to new hoof. I have ran the gauntlet digging cracks part way out, filling with cotton and packing copper sulfate in the hole but no luck. In the one picture with the hoof on the stand with no shoe we grew a new hoof in 7 months and that mare went back to the show ring. Other 3 pics are the same horse. Took a little longer but still grew a solid hoof in about 8 months.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 04:17:04 pm »

Was there a good bond or connectivity between the lamina and the hoof wall where the WLD was when the regrowth got to the ground?

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 04:20:11 pm »

Yes, If they are treated. I have had several where they were not treated by the owners and WLD will come back.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 06:00:10 pm »

With the bad all cut away as pictured could you put some of that form-a -hoof or a like product in place of the natural hoof to seal it up? The reason I ask is I've never used any of that type of product.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 06:23:10 pm »

Clue sometimes you can. I use Equilox to rebuild a hoof wall. On the hoof where I really dug the wall away, you can see a lil blood.You cannot cover that up until it really heals, otherwise the horse will abcess.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: