April 24, 2024, 06:39:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pink nosed cur dogs?  (Read 2008 times)
williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2020, 09:47:35 am »

Got a pup from a cowboy buddy of mine that’s had some fine yella cow dogs for years to churn up the blood I have in the yard freshen things up and she is marked up like a traditional bmc but everything that would be black is a reddish brown color (muzzle, nails, pads etc.) man said they’ve been turning out to be the better cow dogs he has
Talked to another very knowledgeable dog man and he said they were pretty common  and they always breed back true (black markings) I was just curious if anyone else had some colored up similar
Also included a picture with her littermate sister
thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you cant be smart quote smart people

the more i learn about people the more i love my dog - Mark Twain
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 12:57:15 pm »

Ive had plenty darken up with age too. That said lighten up as well, my gyp right now looks like a standard BMC but when they were born to 8 weeks old looked like a Rottweiler jumped my fence. My male right now is out of long line of BMCs and the owner told me to cull him bc he has a white blaze on his chest and white patch on his nose but he hunts so good I cant... Line breeding brings it all out imo
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 01:18:00 pm »

That pink or red pigment isn’t going to affect her. I don’t know what the registry standards are on that but it doesn’t matter if she performs and you aren’t trying to raise registered dogs. If the breeder likes them as much as he says then you may be all the better for having her. It is a recessive trait that’s why it only shows now and then. It takes 2 dogs that possess that gene being bred together to get it. Even then it won’t produce 100% and when those dogs are bred back they shouldn’t produce it unless bred to a dog that carries the gene. As said, line breeding will expose lots of things.

williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 05:56:03 pm »

That pink or red pigment isn’t going to affect her. I don’t know what the registry standards are on that but it doesn’t matter if she performs and you aren’t trying to raise registered dogs. If the breeder likes them as much as he says then you may be all the better for having her. It is a recessive trait that’s why it only shows now and then. It takes 2 dogs that possess that gene being bred together to get it. Even then it won’t produce 100% and when those dogs are bred back they shouldn’t produce it unless bred to a dog that carries the gene. As said, line breeding will expose lots of things.

I don’t care for registered dogs I’ve owned a few and never had one worth feeding just my opinion lol

I like the way she looks, was just curious how often anyone else had seen it. with it being a recessive trait that makes since as to why I haven’t seen it before

As long as she produces hogs and has all the traits in looking for she’ll stay around I don’t care if she turns purple with green spots, but yes the two men that I had talked to prior to making the post both said she would breed back true(with black markings)

I appreciate all of y’all input and advice so far!

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 08:01:51 pm »

She looks good I feel same way pink green purple don't matter if they hunt and do there job

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 08:04:27 pm »

She looks good I feel same way pink green purple don't matter if they hunt and do there job

Yessir as long as they pull their weight I’ll feed them

I do prefer a yard full of good looking yella dogs tho

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 08:18:43 pm »

I like good yella dogs to I was raised with bunch of yella cowdogs and I have had few good yella hog dogs got some old leopard dogs now been bred here for awhile

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 09:20:47 pm »

Those red nosed, red muzzled dogs are just like anything else/the more of it you have in a blood line the more of it you will get. I have had a few through the years and don't like it, therefore I never would breed one and it has been a really long time since I had one. The reason I don't like it is because it is a "lack" of pigment, which is a weakness in most all mammals. I don't like those with a blue nose and muzzle either for the same reasons. Now with that all said I would use a good one just wouldn't want to breed or especially line breed on it. I have heard of a few people that like it and say those were typically the better dogs in their strain.
I am not a "color" breeder but do try to avoid anything I consider a potential physical weakness. Don't like bobtails either therefore don't have any here. A few years ago I did breed a bobtailed gyp for a fellow and all the puppies were long tailed and the one I got "don't know about the others" produced all long tailed dogs. In it's extreme state you will see more spinal and hip problems in bobtails.
williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 09:30:40 pm »

Those red nosed, red muzzled dogs are just like anything else/the more of it you have in a blood line the more of it you will get. I have had a few through the years and don't like it, therefore I never would breed one and it has been a really long time since I had one. The reason I don't like it is because it is a "lack" of pigment, which is a weakness in most all mammals. I don't like those with a blue nose and muzzle either for the same reasons. Now with that all said I would use a good one just wouldn't want to breed or especially line breed on it. I have heard of a few people that like it and say those were typically the better dogs in their strain.
I am not a "color" breeder but do try to avoid anything I consider a potential physical weakness. Don't like bobtails either therefore don't have any here. A few years ago I did breed a bobtailed gyp for a fellow and all the puppies were long tailed and the one I got "don't know about the others" produced all long tailed dogs. In it's extreme state you will see more spinal and hip problems in bobtails.
That’s good information to know!
My original plan was to hunt both of them and if they both turned out breed to the black faced gyp to freshen up the blood I have already not to center them for all my breeding unless they turn out to be superstars, I’m more focused on using the red faced gyp in the woods than ever breeding to her unless I run out of other options

Unless they both don’t turn out then they’ll make fertilizer

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 09:48:32 am »

I have two male littermates that are Ladner BMC’s, both of them have pink noses, whine nails, pink pads, and no mask. Both the parents looked like traditional black mouths. The litter came out with only a few black masks.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
maverick10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 02:09:57 pm »

Got a litter of pups on the ground right now that a male and female came out like that that goes back to there Daddys momma side he daddy was pink nose all in I’m not worried how they came out or look as long as they make dogs have high hopes on the pups.. there grandma was supposed to be out a dog name d.o.g he was Supposedly a 75% tank dog and was bred to a Cox chigger dog if I’m not mistaken but my stories might be wrong but that’s what I was told when I got her

HARD WORK PAYS OFF!!!! REMEBER IT!!!!
maverick10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 02:16:13 pm »

This the female with male on her left side

This the male

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 02:29:33 pm »

These leopard dogs I jack with will throw it. My sketch dog has produced one pink nose pup in both of her litters. Old man told me If i got more than one in a litter I was getting too tight and it was time to out cross.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 06:12:22 pm »

In the catahoula/leopard type dogs the lack of pigmentation is usually closely associated with deafness and blindness. Pink pigment and no hair color on the head is almost a guaranteed that the dog will be deaf or blind or both. I don’t know how far away from that the pink pigmented yella dogs are.

williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 07:52:57 pm »

In the catahoula/leopard type dogs the lack of pigmentation is usually closely associated with deafness and blindness. Pink pigment and no hair color on the head is almost a guaranteed that the dog will be deaf or blind or both. I don’t know how far away from that the pink pigmented yella dogs are.

I’m glad you brought that up that’s definitely something I’ll be trying to research I don’t want to potentially put those genetics in my dogs if it could potentially cause me to throw blind/deaf dogs

williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 07:56:04 pm »

This the female with male on her left side

This the male

Good looking pups I like their head shape and how their ears sit

maverick10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 08:02:47 pm »

Thank you if there half as good as they look I’ll be happy lol

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 10:21:19 pm »

I haven't ever known of a BMC or one of the yellow dogs with the red nose being blind nor deaf.
williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 10:45:21 pm »

I haven't ever known of a BMC or one of the yellow dogs with the red nose being blind nor deaf.
I haven’t seen it myself either mostly like was stated earlier dogs that have white heads (cats, dogo’s etc.)

I’m not saying it’s not possible tho definitely worth looking into from a breeding aspect IMO

cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 06:45:03 am »

There was a line of foundation dogs in Florida that were bred a lot to show that pink nose trait. A buddy has one know and she is a sure enough hog dogs. But Ive seen some duds with it also over the years.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: