April 20, 2024, 02:59:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pink nosed cur dogs?  (Read 1973 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 07:05:54 am »

Speaking about the yella dogs going blind, the daddy to both of the males I’ve got is probably going on 9-10 years old now... he is owned by a guy that got wrapped up in a bunch of stuff and burned bridges with everybody I associate with, so I haven’t been around him in several years, but from what I was told that dog is completely blind now (I think just from hunting 4-5 days a week for his whole life and getting tore up in briars) and he apparently still hunts and produces pigs. He was a freak superstar dog in his prime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 09:11:49 am »

Doesn’t matter but does this male have pink pigment or is he the standard black trim. That’s pretty interesting that he’s still producing. Tells me he likely has partial vision anyway. I don’t know the history but if he’s all that and kin to your dogs, I would at least try to buy a collection or two off of him. Depending on your goals and determination, it would likely pay off down the line. Freaks don’t usually produce more freaks, but it’s always been my philosophy to breed to the extreme to get the high end of average. It doesn’t make sense not to breed to a freak if everything else is right. JMO

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 09:16:09 am »

In the catahoula/leopard type dogs the lack of pigmentation is usually closely associated with deafness and blindness. Pink pigment and no hair color on the head is almost a guaranteed that the dog will be deaf or blind or both. I don’t know how far away from that the pink pigmented yella dogs are.

To my knowledge these dogs have never thrown a dog with any substantial amount of white, both pups out of sketch with pink nose were yella dogs. One looked just like the pup the OP posted, and the one from this litter is yellow/fawn brindle

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 09:31:25 am »

Dogs being blind from "albinism" and going blind, or partially blind in old age from say, cataracts due to continual bruising, or just plain old age eyesight deterioration etc is totally different. I, like t-dog would not think the 9/10 yr old dog would genetically pass any problem to his offspring.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 12:24:26 pm »

T-dog, that freak superstar was a Ladner dog with standard black trim. He was bred to another Ladner with black trim and produced pink trim in half the litter. The man that owned him is not on good terms with me or anyone else I know anymore, so unfortunately there’s no chance of getting any sperm from him. Before the man burned bridges, my mentor bred that dog (he completely made that dog. The owner brought him to him at 11 months old and my mentor hunted him and kept him at his house for years. The actual owner would only come get him if he wanted to hunt once every few months and would bring him back after the hunt) to a really nice game bred pit and produced amazing pups. My old lead dog Dum Dum  was produced in the last of 3 litters between those two dogs. I had every intention of breeding him to try and develop my own dogs off of him, and it never worked out. Now I have his full littermate sister retired for breeding. She wasn’t nearly as good of a dog as Dum Dum, but every single one of their littermates made a dog, some were average, quite a few were well above average. She was accidentally bred once before and the only pup that survived is a nice dog that I use as an RCD. I’m hoping that she will produce dogs better than herself. The RCD I have out of her has much more drive and endurance than the mom has. She tends to act more like Dum Dum did when hunting.

The cross with the original male BMC and the other female BMC did not produce great dogs that I know of. Seems like most turned out to be average. The cross with the female pit on the other hand seemed to click like stars aligning. Out of the three litters that happened, I only know of 3 dogs still surviving and one is that female that I have.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 12:30:47 pm »

Dogs being blind from "albinism" and going blind, or partially blind in old age from say, cataracts due to continual bruising, or just plain old age eyesight deterioration etc is totally different. I, like t-dog would not think the 9/10 yr old dog would genetically pass any problem to his offspring.

agreed
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: