April 24, 2024, 07:24:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The-Most for dog tie out  (Read 1772 times)
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2021, 02:48:36 pm »

In the past, I used T-Post as tie out for dogs on chains.  I used them in locations where I didnt have a tree or something better to stake to.

I quit using them becuase I had a couple dogs that didnt stay at the end of their chain.  Those dogs tended to stay close to the T-Post and thus they would easily get wrapped around the post.

Does anyone have a picture of a swivel type solution that may slide over the top of a post and maybe keep the chain from getting wrapped around the t-post?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 03:08:13 pm »

The best thing I’ve found is old truck axles or something you can pound flush with the ground. Ive tried to make t post work but they usually always get the chain in a bind

Mathews mission venture
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:34:08 pm »

Take a t post 2 to 3 feet long weld the chain to it for at least 3 links. Drive that in the ground till it’s under the ground. If you don’t have a welder just drill a hole thru it and clip the chain to it and drive it in the ground on the end to hook to the dog put a swivel done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 05:44:32 pm »

Take a t post 2 to 3 feet long weld the chain to it for at least 3 links. Drive that in the ground till it’s under the ground. If you don’t have a welder just drill a hole thru it and clip the chain to it and drive it in the ground on the end to hook to the dog put a swivel done

Thanks Judge.  I didnt think of that. 

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:56:21 pm »

Yes sir. Some one told me how to do that many yrs ago it’s the best way to chain a dog

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:54:03 pm »

Judge that's same way I do it rebar works good to cut piece weld chain to drive it all way in ground just chain sticking out swivel on other end

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 08:01:35 pm »

Ya I have done it with rebar as well. But the t post grabs better I have had the rebar pull up when a good rain comes in. This Texas black dirt turns to soup

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 08:20:41 pm »

Yes sir I was worried about that first rebar that I used but I cut it 1 1/2' or 2' drove em in ground I couldn't pull em up with a winch so I figured they be fine have used some like if we go stay somewhere and hunt cut tpost up I don't remember exactly how long maybe 8" or 10" welded chain to em drive em in ground same way have had to to buggy get right over top of them and winch them up so they will sure hold

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 05:42:55 pm »

I’ve been putting some new chains out for my pups, my grown dogs (except for 1) are in wooden raised kennels. Real nice kennels that I built, but the dog’s chew the wood and have put a lot of wear and tear on them. Once they get too bad I plan to go to chains for all of them. Have any of you done chains on concrete? I thought it might be the best of both worlds. Dogs will get the freedom of movement with chains, but will not have a muddy mess when it rains. I was thinking of doing one big rectangular concrete pad that has an inch or two of fall, with a gutter in the back going and a septic tank on one side. That way I could wash the pad to the gutter and then wash it all to the tank. For the chains I have been looking at the product in the attached picture. It now says it’s unavailable but there’s a few different vendors selling the same thing online for the same price. If I used them I would set bolts in the concrete so that after it was poured, the swivel would sit down on the bolts and I’d tighten it down with nuts. I’d be using my own chain setup too, not their cable.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 06:47:13 pm »

You will find out who works a chain on concrete real quick cause that chain will grind down in a hurry.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 08:07:44 pm »

Yes I would think chain would wear out real quick on concrete I got load of sand and put in around my chain spots does pretty good

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 08:12:36 pm »

Thanks guys, that isn’t something I haven’t even thought about.

Northstar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 09:01:58 pm »

Dig a hole 3 feet run a thick tow chain through a cinder block leave about 6 links above the ground. Back fill it with a bag of quickrete. Back fill it. This is a hassle free cheap tie out hook up.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 09:31:22 pm »

One thing bout the chain welded to the t post is just hook it to your truck buggy jack what ever pull it up and move it and drive it right back in the ground takes all of 5 min. They will last 20 yrs

hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 07:15:40 pm »

Judge - I did exactly as you said and it worked perfect!!!!

I also thought about the chain on concrete.  I'm thinking about setting the T-post all the way into the ground with a hole drilled in it for the chain the same way I just did it. Then, take a 3" schedule 40 PVC and drive it into the ground and use it as a sleeve and keep it flush with the top of the concrete.   Pull the chain attached to the T-post through the sleeve.

Pour the concrete and the chain will only stay in contact with the PVC sleeve.

T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 08:07:16 pm »

A couple ways I’ve had good luck with;
1. Rebar- just bend the end of it over in a u shape, stick it through the last link on a chain and pound it into the ground until only the chain is above grade. (This probably doesn’t work in rocky or sandy soil)

2. Auger eyes- I get the 18 inch ones and twist them into the ground until only the chain is visible.

3. Scrap metal, trash etc. - If I can attach a chain to it, I just dig a hole, drop the junk in, bury it and ramp it in place. Again, so that only the chain is above ground

For me personally, making sure only the chain is above ground is the most important part, anything that can fail, will fail. And it will never fail on a POS dog I didn’t care for, it’ll always fail on my favorites, on the hottest day of the year.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 03:00:49 am »

I’ve tried every setup you could imagine, some of my dogs are high strung and will really work a chain until they start getting older, I took some 1” round stock and cut it 4’long, welded an old disk blade to it at 3’ with 1’ left sticking up, I measured down from the top of 1’ section 6”and welded a big flat washer, then welded an eye bolt to a piece 1 5/8” pipe cut to 4”, slid that on pipe and welded another washer to cap, drive it in the ground and attach chain to eye bolt, I tried that set up to end with the chains getting tangled, and not have the issue of the dogs working the chains and causing the dirt to mound up in the center, for some dogs it worked great and are still being used, some of the ones I had male dogs on and they kept pissing on the center post and eventually rusted the eyebolt sleeve, they were something I put together on a rainy day, Austeus the cable set up I’m about to post a pick of would probably work for a slab, I’m going to give it a try myself, I got a pile of pieces of concrete slab that I’m going to drag up and piece together to make a square pad, and fill the cracks and gaps  in with sand and top off with cement, biggest problem I’ve had over the years Is not really the chain setup but the hardware for the collar wearing out, my buddy and I had the idea of making our own, I’ll post of pick of it as well, we make them and sale them....

Machine cut shaft with a loop welded to a sleeve,  capped with a nut welded to shaft , he runs a machine shop so we made the first ones outa stuff we found laying around...

Next set I build I’m going with bigger posts, and different way of tensioning my cables, I was letting an old friend keep a few dogs at the house and he’s the one who built this set up, I sent him to another friends house who actually came up with this idea to see how his was built bc I liked his designs, I came home and he had built his version of if, it’s worked for 3 years so far, it makes
Cleaning up behind them a lot easier, each run is 15’ long and they have dang near 3 1/2-4’ of room between each dog, I found it good for them also bc they are always jumping back and forth over the cable....

End of the day the simplest and easiest way to go about it is like judge and everyone else mentioned....

Austus I’ll have to get a pick of it but same buddy I made the swivels with made a run with a bearing pressed into a piece of pipe with a shaft sticking up with a piece coming off the top at a 90 degree angle where the chain hangs from and your set up never touches ground...
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:40 am »

I would like to see the pics of that. My thought with concrete is that it will look a little better IMO, and will be easier to clean and keep sanitary instead of having the dogs dig holes and everything be a muddy mess in the rain.

Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 06:04:15 pm »

I frame up
16x16” boxes out of plywood. You can dig the hole and do it in place or you can do it above ground and
Re-use the plywood. Pour in quickcrete. Sink in a large, long eyebolt with a couple nuts and washers attached to the end furthest from the eye. Sink the eye in the Crete until half the diameter of the opening is beneath the surface of  concrete. Bury at ground level. Dirt will mound over it but the center will remain serviceable because of the dog working the chain. I put swivel on collar end of the setup.
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 06:13:34 pm »

In the ground I add water after half the crete and then add water after at ground level. Above ground mix hot in wheelbarrow then add to form all at once. Tap from pretty good with hammer. You can dig em up and move em easy wherever. Mine have lasted going in a decade
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: