April 27, 2024, 03:26:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $100 chicken  (Read 373 times)
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2021, 05:29:30 pm »

Hollered at a land owner that’s a big bow hunter about going to hunt his land that neighbors the land I have access to. he had never hog hunted with dogs before and told me he was up all night watching YouTube videos. he showed us a couple of spots and we decided to drop out and just kind of move with the dogs because they were hunting good. Well before we knew it we were pretty far from the trucks and sure enough the dogs were following a creek getting off the land heading toward the highway and a house. I tried to tone them back and did not want to shock them off a track. We make a few phone calls while we’re heading that way to my understanding the dogs are caught and ok so we started walking toward them while my fiancé and friend went and got the trucks. We get to the house and the dogs or anybody is to be found. I look at the Garmin and they’re 800 yards away hammering. Me and the landowner are looking around for somebody to ask permission to get on the property and suddenly I see her. 125 pounds of pissed off with a gun. Thankfully it was a red Ryder. Supposedly the dogs had ran hogs into her front yard and she was shooting at them all with the BB gun and they somehow killed a chicken in the process. She was not happy at all but I couldn’t blame her one bit  she had calves on the ground and the hogs have ran through before hurting the calf’s and cows. She told me I owed her $100 for the chicken named pearl and I happily agreed and went and got my dogs. I wish I knew what dog quit chasing pigs for the chicken but they all might get a lesson in it. I hate it went that way for the first time land owner but he Definitely was a trooper and took that chewing right there with me. I decided to not hunt that smaller piece of property with this set of dogs again because this is the second time they’ve gotten off of it in the 3 years Ive hunted it. Usually the hogs instead of crossing the road make a big loop toward the swamp. But after they thinned a thicket it seems like they just shoot right through. Thankfully the next day was better and I was hunting at a different spot and my dog ranger opened up
a few good times and the race was on. I guess they tracked it into the river and thankfully did not cross. They set out again and while I waited for them to strike I was sitting on a log and my cd started getting all excited and I look over and I see a piglet 30 foot away just rooting having the time of his life and I chased him down and caught him. The sob bit and shook my hand like a boar. I started easing toward my dogs and my bark signal was very faint but they were all grouped up sure enough they had caught about a hundred pound sow and we got her killed just in time to walk out and hopefully make it to the truck before dark. Get several hundred yards from the kill and ranger and slick start winding something run into a brush top and bust piglets everywhere like quail . I catch some of them and so do the dogs. Good time in the woods by myself and ran into some other nice hog hunters up the road that said they had ran something big our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mathews mission venture
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 06:05:45 pm »

I am glad it went well. A A** chewing is a small price to pay and no dogs were shot. I used to have a jack Russell and everytime he got loose he would go over to my neighbors and kill some of his chickens. Somehow it always happened to be his favorite. I dont think I ever paid a 100.00 for a single chicken but my grand total was probably twice that. lol Glad everything worked out.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 06:21:20 pm »

A real pearl for $100 isn’t bad lol. Glad it worked out for you. Hunting by yourself is the best way to get to know your dogs.

HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 07:13:11 pm »

I hate that for you man but it happens sometimes.   Don’t know how many properties I just won’t hunt because of the thought of getting off of em on other peoples property. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 07:19:16 pm »

She might’ve been like the golden goose and hopefully I’ll never pay for a hundred dollar chicken again. I just wish I could’ve seen what she seen. I’m thinking it must’ve been a sounder I never laid my eyes on what the dogs were chasing but ranger had a tad bit of blood on him and his muzzle smelled like a hog

Mathews mission venture
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: