April 20, 2024, 01:55:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foggy Barr  (Read 1164 times)
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2021, 07:58:18 am »

My neighbors brother is down from Kentucky again and wanted to go catch some meat.We headed out from ramp at 10pm got to the first spot and cast Hambone and Copper they go 600 and bay this nice Barr up get him caught and by the time we drug him back to the boat the thickest fog bank you ever seen rolled in I explained that we was gonna have to call it and we'd be lucky to make back.It was a sketchy Ride to say the least but we made it back alive and he was happy with the meat.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
williamsld
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 08:05:56 am »

Good hog! And good looking dogs! Hate it got cut short but making it home alright is more important than catching a hog any day of the week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you cant be smart quote smart people

the more i learn about people the more i love my dog - Mark Twain
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:48:31 am »

Glad you had a good hunt. Boats and fog can be a risky situation.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 11:05:21 am »

Good  deal Cracker, I don't know much about boats or the hazards related to them, but the one thing I thought about while down hunting with Cajun was falling out of the boat in deep water with those  hip boots on and a ton of clothes on those cold mornings. I used to keep a ring of rubber inner tube on them at ankle height and if I was gonna have to wade a slough or something I would pull that rubber ring up high on my thigh and it would seal the water out of those nylon waders pretty good.
Cajun had a real neat inflatable life vest that a fellow could wear without bulk and one day he was taking it off at the truck and set it off haha he puffed up like a frog. I believe if I was gonna hunt down there out of a boat on a regular basis in the winter time from a boat I'd get me one of those.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 11:55:56 am »

Old man a airboat is a completely different animal you can't just let off the throttle in deep water or the backwake will overtake the transom and instantly sink you all your engine weight is in the transom also in shallow water when you let off the throttle you only loose steering and don't slow down just loose control.You have to run a airboat with throttle and that can be difficult when only running on the garmin.It was so thick last night that I had to navigate 12miles or so with zero visibility and rely soley on the Garmin all the while having fogged glasses that kentucky boy didn't know how much danger he was really in lol.

WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 12:02:47 pm »

Man thatmakes my sphincter tight just thinking about it. Thank goodness for Garmin.
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 01:09:03 pm »

Nice barr hog

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 07:20:15 pm »

Nice hog cracker. Sure glad things worked out for you.

HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 08:03:47 pm »

Man y’all got my respect with all that night hunting y’all do with them boats.   Fine Barr hog man. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 08:05:19 pm »

I appreciate it y'all.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 08:16:13 am »

Cracker I got to thinking about this hunt and it hit me.....do you have a will? Either way you might revise it if it doesn’t already mention that ole Hambone is to come to Texas if something unfortunate happens. I’m wishing you the best but your making me nervous with the fog and big lizards.

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 08:26:29 am »

Haha T-dog you'd have to scrap it out with ol Rowdy over Hambone he's really his dog that he let's me borrow to catch hogs.You know I regularly deal with fog and have my whole life from fishing to hunting but that was the worste I ever seen the other night I'm sure it was also because the moon was underfoot and it was dense cloud cover so it was a pitch black night to boot.

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 08:30:15 am »

There was zero silouettes if that makes any sense lots of times when the fog gets thick you can turn off your lights or point them down towards the ground or water and see silouettes to navigate.Not the other night.

RBz_OFFROAD
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 08:48:29 am »

Real nice hog man.. I agree the fog and a boat isn’t a fun combination. 
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 08:55:23 am »

I’ll bet your butt was sure enough hanging on to that seat. A pretty permanent mold I’m sure. I know mine would’ve.

Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 09:08:29 am »

Yea I know a lil bout tht fog to and it ain’t no good
Glad y’all got back and nice hog to boot

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 10:35:42 am »

Glad it ended without incident! Lately I’ve been getting in to hunting by boat a little more and have really been enjoying it. I still don’t have one so I have to rely on buddies to take me out, thankfully one of my good friends enjoys tagging along to kill the pigs and he has a boat so he will take me out fairly often. We hunt the Congaree area so we start on the river itself which is fairly safe as long as you don’t have an accident with another boat... once we turn off and start going through the swamp it’s a lot of guts and creeks, and driving through sections of water with big trees all over the place that you have to weave in and out of. One of the main dangers here is stumps right below the water that you can’t see (the water here is almost pitch black even on a bright sunny day) from where they timbered parts of the swamp back in the 50’s or 60’s. And when trees fall and block access to areas, the older guys will cut them and drag them out of the way but it seems like the younger guys will cut them and just let them float out, so it’s pretty common to hit floating logs that are bobbing right underneath the top of the water. If you’re not expecting it; it’s pretty easy to get knocked around in the boat, especially if the motor has power trim and doesn’t have a kick plate.

It’s a lot of fun to me, but it definitely can get hairy. The water level can change by up to 3-4ft in there over the course of 10 hours, and it’s all a flood plain so when the water level changes all of the “islands” have big flats that will flood so you may be able to find a finger of land to get around it, or you may be forced to wade through the water. It’s not uncommon to get out of the boat and within a few hundred yards you’re having to walk across 300yds of water, might start knee deep and then have a ditch that runs through there or a dry creek that’s now flooded so all of a sudden you take a step and drop in to a 5ft hole. It’s one thing during the day but it’s a completely different animal trying to get through there at night.

Here’s a few pics that kinda show the environment. You’re definitely getting wet on every hunt, if you have a race and don’t get that hog stopped where you first find him, you’ll probably be swimming too, lol. Silent and violent dogs are really the best way to hunt here, trying to shut them down before they can initiate the run.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 12:35:32 pm »

Glad it ended without incident! Lately I’ve been getting in to hunting by boat a little more and have really been enjoying it. I still don’t have one so I have to rely on buddies to take me out, thankfully one of my good friends enjoys tagging along to kill the pigs and he has a boat so he will take me out fairly often. We hunt the Congaree area so we start on the river itself which is fairly safe as long as you don’t have an accident with another boat... once we turn off and start going through the swamp it’s a lot of guts and creeks, and driving through sections of water with big trees all over the place that you have to weave in and out of. One of the main dangers here is stumps right below the water that you can’t see (the water here is almost pitch black even on a bright sunny day) from where they timbered parts of the swamp back in the 50’s or 60’s. And when trees fall and block access to areas, the older guys will cut them and drag them out of the way but it seems like the younger guys will cut them and just let them float out, so it’s pretty common to hit floating logs that are bobbing right underneath the top of the water. If you’re not expecting it; it’s pretty easy to get knocked around in the boat, especially if the motor has power trim and doesn’t have a kick plate.

It’s a lot of fun to me, but it definitely can get hairy. The water level can change by up to 3-4ft in there over the course of 10 hours, and it’s all a flood plain so when the water level changes all of the “islands” have big flats that will flood so you may be able to find a finger of land to get around it, or you may be forced to wade through the water. It’s not uncommon to get out of the boat and within a few hundred yards you’re having to walk across 300yds of water, might start knee deep and then have a ditch that runs through there or a dry creek that’s now flooded so all of a sudden you take a step and drop in to a 5ft hole. It’s one thing during the day but it’s a completely different animal trying to get through there at night.

Here’s a few pics that kinda show the environment. You’re definitely getting wet on every hunt, if you have a race and don’t get that hog stopped where you first find him, you’ll probably be swimming too, lol. Silent and violent dogs are really the best way to hunt here, trying to shut them down before they can initiate the run.

Austesus, Looks like you have been poaching my spots. lol Good looking dogs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 09:49:50 pm »

Dang good Barr hog cracker that fog sure rough some times

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 07:58:11 am »

Cajun, what state are you hunting in? The Congaree is an amazing place here in the midlands that not many people outside of SC know about. It’s the biggest tract of old growth bottomland hardwood forest in the country I believe. It’s hard to describe to people that haven’t seen it, but it’s almost unreal. The water level changes by an average of 10ft every year with flooding during the winter. Because of how often it floods and how quickly the levels change, the swamp is constantly changing. There’s 27 thousand acres that make up the monument, which is the federal park. There’s no hunting allowed there, but I frequently hike and kayak in that area. Going down river you will pass the confluence with the Wateree on the left and everything past that on the left side is public land, which is roughly 11 thousand acres there. Not many people hunt here because of how difficult it can be. Almost everywhere you get out of the boat, you will have to get wet. The best way I can think to describe it in the swamp is you have a bunch of channels of water, and the edges will be trees and grass that are in standing water, you may see bits and pieces of land way back behind those, but pretty much everything is flooded. You continue down the channel and you may come up to good ground on one side. So you stop there and get out and after only 150yards in you come to water every direction in front of you. Most people will stop and go back to the boat here, and this is why many people won’t continue hunting here. But if you follow the bank long enough you will normally find a part of land that goes around the water. Or, you can wade through the water until you hit land on the other side, but you have no idea how deep it is or how far as most the time there are enough trees that you can’t see far enough to see land, so you’re just going in blind. These low spots are like pools that are on islands. Sometimes it might be 300yds of knee deep water. Other times you might go 300yards in knee deep water and you still can’t see ground anywhere so you keep going and it turns in to chest deep water with still no ground in sight and you have to swim for several hundred yards. Sometimes there isn’t ground on the other side, it just continues out until it hits big water again. It takes a lot of trial and error to learn this place and know how to travel through it. Just because there’s trees in the water doesn’t mean it’s shallow. If the water level is high there might be water full of trees but it’s actually 12ft deep water. Wayyy back there were native Americans that lived in here, and some runaway slaves did as well. Some of Francis Marion’s men even operated out of this area because the British couldn’t figure out how to travel through it without getting lost.

The environment has a few drastic changes too. The areas that are low and flood a lot are pretty open with hardwoods and either a mud ground or some grass. The higher spots that don’t flood as often will have pines, palmettos, thick bamboo, and some nasty briar beds. Here’s a few pics I just pulled from google to show some of the beauty here. Anyways, I’ll stop high jacking the thread now! Lol

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: