April 23, 2024, 12:35:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunting memories with your kids  (Read 1009 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2021, 10:14:14 am »

Every time I see folks on here and they speak about their kids hunting with them and the pictures it makes me think about my kids. I feel extremely blessed to have been able to raise my boys as country boys. Lots of simple memories pop into mind like the one Cracker just mentioned about his little one waking up disappointed about the hunt being over. It’s simple but he will probably remember that for a long time.

I remember once when we were loading dogs, my oldest wasn’t but about 5 or so. I had a green bulldog named Trooper. I had him on a leash and Jr wanted to lead him to the trailer. I said Jr if he gets loose I’m gonna get your butt so don’t take him if you can’t control him. I said if he sees those hogs in the bay pen he’s going to try and go to them. “I got him daddy, I got him”! So I let him take him. Sure enough he saw them and sure enough he tried to go to them. When I tell y’all it looked like a cartoon...it did! That dog hit the end of that leash and jerked that boy off his feet so quick that the first thing to meet the ground was his chest. The dog never checked up and Jr was skipping across the ground chest first. It didn’t stop until the dog got to the hog pen. Jr got up and popped that leash and swatted the dog and scolded him. Ole trooper dropped his head and Jr led him to the truck and handed me the leash and said  “I didn’t let him go daddy”! Lmbo I’ll never forget that.

I remember another time Jr and I were hunting with an older gentleman. The dogs got over on a big ranch that this fella had access to. Well as luck would have it the gate was locked.  He couldn’t get ahold of the ranch foreman and we were closer to the dogs where we were than we were from the main gate so we drove back around. About the time we got back the foreman called and he was out of town but said we could foot it. It was drizzling rain and had been raining on and off for several days. This was in black land farm country and the old black land saying “you stick with it when it’s dry and it’ll stick with you when it’s wet” never rang truer. It was a mile one direction to the dogs so me and Jr headed out. Our feet looked like they had black basketballs on for shoes. I led the bulldog and about 3/4 of the way put Jr on my shoulders. He hadn’t said one word but I could tell it was kicking his little butt, heck it was kicking mine. We killed the hog and caught dogs. Jr led the bulldog and I led the cur dogs.  So another mile back to the truck through the same stuff. Again the little fella never once complained. I picked him up, put him on my shoulders, and snapped the bulldog to my belt loop for the last 1/3 of the way. I was sure proud of him. Most of my grown hunting buddies would’ve been crying the whole way.

Another memory was my youngest Slayde. We had cast dogs and they were hunting good but just nothing there so I told my buddies we could call them in and hit another spot. Before I could say anything my little 4 year old is out front of the wheelers calling dogs, “woooo here dogs here dogs here here here”. It was perfect. We laughed because he knew what he was doing and he had it down pat. Not only that, they honored him and he caught and loaded them as they came in. He was officially a hand. He’s 10 now and I would just as soon have him with me as most grown men.

I remember my nephew when he was about 4 or 5 coming over to the house. I had a pulling harness for my my old Simba bulldog and a sled. I would hook it up and it was all Dillian could do to hang on to that sled when Simba would take off across the yard in a run. Of course the dog enjoyed the attention but Dillian NEVER got tired of it. He’d be grinning and laughing the whole time. I think ole Simba was glad for him to go home.

Let me hear y’all’s hunting memories with your youngins.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 11:36:39 am »

T dog those are some good memories.
  We were hunting one day and came to a slough we had to get across. My daughter Summer was about 8 years old at the time and it was cold. We walked down and found a branch hanging over. I put her on it and she was like a squirrel hanging upside down but she crossed it and dropped down on the other side. I crossed it and then it was Jeff's turn. He was only about 20# heavier then me but for whatever reason the branch broke and jeff came tumbling down right in the middle of that slough. I have never heard anybody who laughed as loud or as long as she did and to this day she brings it up once in awhile and just laughs like crazy.
  Another time we got into some shoats and caught one and as soon as we were there the dogs rolled out and had another caught about 120 yards away. Summer was about 10 and we left her sitting on about a 75# shoat and went and got the other one. she was as game as they came and loved the dogs and hunting to this day.
  She could walk all day from a early age and never complained. It's a good thing her Momma never found out about 1/2 the things we did or I might have got skinned.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 11:47:04 am »

lol that’s awesome Cajun. I have no doubt she made a good woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 05:42:16 am »

Got tons of stories, but this little turd has put her hands on more hogs than most people will ever see in their lives. Her and her buddies have been with us every step of the way. She’s older now and still goes, just not as often. Hopefully I’ve laid a good enough foundation that she’ll come back to it one day.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 06:33:12 am »

Good stuff fellas. I got tons of memories with my kids the funny thing about it is they usually stop doing what we think is fun and start doing what they want. My oldest son which is 35 hasn’t been hunting or fishing since the day he moved out. My daughter pretty much stopped when she met her husband. My middle son stopped the day he seen his wife at the swimming pool. His wife won’t let him hang any of his mounts at his house lol. And my youngest son goes on his own from time to time he would probably go with me if he lived closer. I guess every thing runs its course.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:34:52 am »

I’d be willing to bet all these kids are some of societies more level headed and practical adults. Judge most of yours may not hunt anymore but for sure they are good, hard working, and respectful adults. At the end of the day, to be those things and God fearing is all we can hope for. Nah she’s a beautiful young lady. Looks like she might be card too.

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 07:36:17 am »

My youngest is in college and gonna graduate this spring, she is engaged to be married in June. I have scrolled back in my mind at the many memories we have shared, huntin, cowboyin, playin ball and hope she remembers them as well and fondly as I do.  Beginning at a very young age she has been party to lots of adventures, but since she was raised doing those things, because that's just what we normally done, she was never excited about them or think it was out of the ordinary, it was just another day in her young life.
She'll still go huntin with me once in a while when she is home, and rode her green horse a lot this summer, but for the most part she is grown and gone. Of course if we didn't want them to grow up and become independent we shouldn't ever wean them and potty train them haha.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 08:10:24 am »

That was supposed to say jsh not nah, lol.

I remember the expressions on my boys faces when they got to leg their first hogs. Man they were 10 foot tall and bullet proof after that. I just about had to leash the oldest one. He was wide open and fearless and tough as nails as a little fella. I spent more time making him get back than the bull dog. The younger one isn’t much different but he thinks things through a little more before he gets in a fix.  For example my oldest boys senior year we were in the football playoffs. The day before a game he goes out and catches a boar hog with a couple of buddies. While trying to put a rope in the hogs mouth, the hog got his thumb. At the ER the doctor is telling him he’s gonna be out for a week or two. He told the Dr oh no I’m not. I have a playoff game tomorrow night and I’m going to play. The Dr  looked at him and said are you serious. He said yes sir, do what you gotta do but I’m gonna be out there. Of course it was a national tweet conversation amongst college coaches. I want to say it it was Nick Saban that said “ only in Texas will a star linebacker get his thumb bit off by a wild hog the night before a playoff game”, lol. He played, we won, and he was the leading tackler that night. I won’t lie, I wanted to choke him myself on that one. They were hunting on the assistant principal’s place to top it off. Believe me when I tell you, the head coach made it clear there was no more hunting on his place until after football lol. The principal told me “he wasn’t very happy with me” and I told him “I didn’t tell him to stick his hand in a hogs mouth”. Lol we still laugh about that.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 08:13:58 am »

Old man is she at least engaged to a good one or are you gonna have to feed him to the hogs,lol?

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 10:10:39 am »

He is a fine young man, graduated a couple years ago and is a Physical Therapist, but no cowboy background and not real country. He's game to try though so I'll be able to put him in some predicaments and watch the reactions as time goes on haha, I'll have to have him off away from her so she can't warn him about what is coming next.     They will do well but probably not live the lifestyle I am accustomed to or that she was raised in.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 10:23:03 am »

I started taking her huntin horseback when she was 3 "she could ride her own horse and keep up in the rough" back then I didn't have a catch dog, was just catchin them off the bay so I would get her off her horse and set her up on a limb where she could see, by the time she was 5 she could keep up walking. We were strictly catching hogs alive but when she was 8 while we were hunting With Bob Owens, David Rigney, and Jim Bob Owens in Texas she crawled in an east Tx briar patch and stuck a hog, no big deal to her just another day, I guess she just isn't real excitable haha.
We were hunting here around home on mules by the time she was 8 and she could and would ride her mule where the fellows that hunted with us would not, I would tease them, tell them look it's not bad my little girl can do it, they'd say yes but she don't know any better you trained her haha.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 02:30:59 pm »

Old man you said a lot. Whether you realize it or not you set the bar pretty high. What she thinks a father should be will be high standards for her husband. That’s a good thing in more than one way. Her thinking the caliber of horses/mules and dogs she grew with will also allow her to see what standards are. It’s likely second rate just won’t be ok with her. Being good and being the winning type benefit her whole life. So whether or not she rides and hunts anymore, you’ve already molded her while you made great memories doing it. I sure hope you record those predicaments too! Your grandchildren will love it one day! I wouldn’t mind seeing it either lol.

WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 05:55:14 pm »

Thomas, I remember way back when Jr was 5 or 6 and we were hunting a big open ranch and got into a sow and a bunch of pigs. Jr. caught several of those pigs before we got a bay and then he lit out for the bay and darn near beat Clementine there. You were hollerin at him but he wasn't checkin up. We we got to the ravine, there he was legged up on a sow way bigger than he was. His little hands wouldn't go all the way around those legs but she couldn't kick him loose. That was my first taste of Jr's tuffness.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 06:32:04 pm »

Lol I remember that

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 07:20:56 pm »

Well Jr.  sure sounds like he was my kind of kid, one where you have to work on the whoa rather than the go haha. Hey I like that in my pups too haha.
   My oldest child was my only boy, he was a full out predator when it came to hunting, nothing was safe, had no back up in the cowboy deal, but...... these days he has a masters degree, big paying job and prefers big city life, big house, muscle car, going to the events in the city etc. I was very surprised, even shocked at his life's choices, but not disappointed, he has done well and is free to choose his own life style.   
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 07:58:48 pm »

Funny how a lot of us return to our roots before it’s all said and done. Your son sounds like a pretty smart fella. As for Jr, he’s 21 and I still have to tell him to slow down lol.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: