April 26, 2024, 09:34:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4/3/21  (Read 579 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2021, 07:11:07 am »

After my solo hunt Friday afternoon, me and two of my good hunting buddies made a round at the same place Saturday morning. We met up at my house, Zach brought his German Shepard dog Pup and Jake brought his Roscoe dog, his young gyp CoCo, and a green bulldog. I grabbed Punk, and my two male pups Ranger and Red. Loaded everything up and got to the property around 8:15-8:30am.

After about 2 hours of walking and not seeing any fresh sign or tracks, we finally come across some rooting. Looked like it was maybe a day old, best looking sign we had come across. We kept moving and it got in to some hotter sign so we stopped and hung out for a minute to see if the dogs would do anything. After a few minutes we hear a few yips that sound like Pup, look down and him and punk are at 287yds and rolling out. They go to around 900yds and sit down treed. As we are going to them I can hear Pup is baying, Punk is caught.

Well on the way to them, Roscoe and my Ranger pup ear up on a little 20lb piglet 180yds short of getting to Punk and Pup. Right as we are getting to this piglet, CoCo and Red run a pretty little red colored shoat past us. CoCo nipped it on the rear end and spun it around, and it looked like she was about to back up and bay but right at the same time, Red came rushing in and the pig spun and broke. I didn’t have time to mark the piglet on the garmin because I wanted to get to Punk, so I asked Jake to hangout there for a minute and that I would track back to him as soon as me and Zach got to the other dogs. I said if Red and CoCo stop the shoat, just let them stay on it since we knew it was small.

Me and Zach get close and I can tell that they are on the edge of a little half acre grown up field that used to be a food plot. Right as we get close it breaks, goes about 60yds to our left and tries to cross a creek. Punk catches it again in the water and Zach was the man of the day and swam out to grab it. I get over there right as he’s about to get in the water, and can see it’s a pretty good sized hog and is giving Punk a run for her money, putting up a good fight. Zach manages to get ahold of a leg and bring it back to the bank to stick it. It was a nice pregnant sow, she cut Punk’s ear pretty good and I guess she must’ve bit her on the mouth because the bottom left side of her mouth and lip was swole up pretty good.

Get back to Jake and find out that the little shoat ended up making it to another creek and losing the young gyp, the pup, and the green bulldog that took off after it. We worked our way back to the truck, still hunting for another 2-3 hours but didn’t have any more luck after that. I’m stoked on how my male pups are doing though. They are just now turning 7 months old and have figured out what we are there for. Of course they are still puppies, but Ranger was out at 280yds by himself hunting after getting on those last few pigs. You can tell that he perks up every time the wind blows, lol. Went through some water and the pups swam good with no issues. We also went through some real thick nasty stuff and they got through it without slowing down or missing a beat. Hopefully in another 6-7 months they will be running lead.

Last pic is Zach coming out of the deeper water, trying to get behind a tree real quick. That Sow didn’t like him and started charging him so I said to bait her in to coming closer to the bank, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 09:24:27 am »

Buddy bait is good bait! Those are nice looking red dogs.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:07:30 am »

T-dog,

I love when Zach can make a hunt. He’s one of the few that I’ve met that will go where a dog is, no questions asked. Ice water, briars, miles and miles, it doesn’t matter. The hog started after him and I said make it easy and get that ole rank girl to come back to the bank lol. I’m pretty fond of that red myself. My original dogs were black and I swore that all I wanted was black or yella, but there was some red in the gene pool that came out and I hope it continues.

I’m curious to see how the Ranger pup holds up to hard hunts, as his feet are extremely flat and huge with heavy webbing. I think for these swamps it will serve him well, I just hope it doesn’t hurt his performance on harder ground, say roading him on a hard clay road, or hunting in pines where it’s a lot harder ground. Red has “cat feet” which is supposed to help with endurance from the little bit of info I can find online. Doesn’t seem to be too much info out there comparing different types of foot structure and since I have plans of tightening this blood up with future line breeding I want to make sure I’m breeding off of the best traits if all else is equal.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:34:16 am »

Good hunt. Yall were lucky on that dog that got bit on the lower jaw. We had a big sown in the water and that sow grabbed that pup on the lower jaw and shattered it. It was hanging by skin when we got the sow off. good looking dogs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 01:29:25 pm »

Cajun, that’s a rough deal there! I was telling my buddy that I’ve got to get a vest for Punk ASAP. She just turned 3 not long ago and is making a really nice dog and is suicidal. She’s pretty much a RCD but she is a great overall pack dog. She stays busy hunting at 300yds and she will stay step for step with a good lead dog. She was an accidental breeding between my old bulldogs brother and my older female that I’ve now retired since she’s the last living dog of that blood. I was in Afghanistan when
Mine (that’s her name, Punk’s mom) got bred and my uncle had been keeping her for me. I didn’t know until after I had my cousin go get her and the pups that they were extremely malnourished and in horrible shape, Punk was the only pup out of the litter that survived. She’s a small dog and I haven’t found a vest to fit her, I need to just take measurements and get one custom fit for her.

Her mom actually had the same situation happen with catching a sow in a canal 2 years ago, big pregnant rank Sow that was fighting like a boar. Her momma is a straight catch, suicidal dog, that catches on the nose usually. She got chewed up pretty good and had all kinds of cuts and punctures under her chin.

Thanks for the compliments on the dogs. I hear you have some pretty good hounds yourself!

fish4food
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 10:29:17 am »

Awesome hunt Sir.

Good story and nice pics.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 01:57:40 pm »

Fish, thanks buddy!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: