April 19, 2024, 02:17:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious  (Read 1718 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2021, 10:03:16 am »

Does anyone use Dane/Pit crosses for catchdogs? If so is the majority of them hard solid catchdogs, and do they have good dispositions? A long time ago a friend of mine got a black Dane, was a well made dog and we were going to breed him to a pit female,. But he got loose and was after some horses in a big pen and my friend was having trouble getting him off, in the end the dog sort of bowed up on him and he shot him.
You just don't hear of them being crossed or used around here.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:19:28 am »

My nephew has a 3/4 Dane 1/4 American that we are waiting on to get grown. If she works we have a couple of breedings planned for her. One to my American male and then WOW has an extremely nice pit pup that I am watching. She is put together and a real good disposition and brains. I know Dean ( form4function ) used Dane in his dogs. He had a harlequin male that he said was really nice. We tried some half and half’s once. They were athletic and they caught pretty good but the male Dane passed his poor disposition to them and we didn’t continue any further with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 12:05:51 pm »

I’m all ears on this post guys. I’m in the market for a catch dog. I’ve always thought Danes would be way too big for my country but I’m never too old too adjust. I like what works. I’ve never met anybody who didn’t appreciate a big, durable, good natured catch dog with a good handle.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 06:02:46 pm »

Extremely good looking dog Tdog!
shadygrovehawgdawg
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 06:42:15 pm »

Old man, there’s a fellow that lives real close to you that had one. He was a good looking dog. He said he caught good.  I can give you his name and number if you want to talk to him. He’s a great dog man and likes to talk dogs.  I haven’t seen the dog in a couple years now.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 10:45:35 pm »

Okay Mark, who is it? I thought I at least knew of everyone around here that hog hunted, haha guess not, that or maybe I know of him and just didn't know he had a Dane/Pit. Actually I would expect the cross to be bigger, leggier, good hard catching dogs but with the limited experience I have with a Dane was wondering about their general disposition. I realize there is no cookie cutter rule and their disposition is heavily influenced by the way they are raised and handled.

For the way I use one I get along with my Dogo real well, this 2 yr old is the second one I have had and liked real well, both the old one and the young one have been used strictly for catching, "not find and catch" both have been solo solid catch dogs that are a pleasure to be around, handle great, no leash necessary, zero dog or man aggression.
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 11:30:58 am »

My nephew has a 3/4 Dane 1/4 American that we are waiting on to get grown. If she works we have a couple of breedings planned for her. One to my American male and then WOW has an extremely nice pit pup that I am watching. She is put together and a real good disposition and brains. I know Dean ( form4function ) used Dane in his dogs. He had a harlequin male that he said was really nice. We tried some half and half’s once. They were athletic and they caught pretty good but the male Dane passed his poor disposition to them and we didn’t continue any further with them.

Ummm? Poor disposition and didn't continue any further?   I've got 3 pups by two different litters from my old Danes here.  One a Dane × Bull Terrier the other two are Dane × bull lurcher.       I'd not discontinued anything of the dane blood except the harlequin color gene that was in my full danes.      Can't line breed responsibly if you got the harlequin color gene expressing itself in your breeding stock. 
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 11:57:56 am »

Does anyone use Dane/Pit crosses for catchdogs? If so is the majority of them hard solid catchdogs, and do they have good dispositions? A long time ago a friend of mine got a black Dane, was a well made dog and we were going to breed him to a pit female,. But he got loose and was after some horses in a big pen and my friend was having trouble getting him off, in the end the dog sort of bowed up on him and he shot him.
You just don't hear of them being crossed or used around here.

A fool will breed a junk Dane to decent pit.   That results in fair dogs usually but some are still junk so careful judging a cross by the few representations you might find.   If the Dane was functionally good and structurally the way a Dane should be which is racey and athletic  and hard  and has good withers then the resulting offspring are pretty good and good looking dogs.  Usually making a good utility dog and catchdog.       Most people prefer a smaller catch dog though and the Dane pit cross is not something that usually comes to peoples mind.         I have started preferring the bull terrier blood over the pit blood for a host or reasons.           You want a catch dog that will blow your mind and change the way you view crossed up catch dogs, get you a good Dane × bull terrier cross.  They probably won't be the utility type mind that a Dane × pit is likely to be because they are more of a high drive type dog and more intense
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 11:28:38 pm »

I had a few yrs ago. First thing is they where very yard dogs as a dog goes. They where very game dogs not much hunt to them but would catch what ever they found. I wouldn’t look to the cross as the next best thing but if someone had some that where good I wouldn’t discount them.

Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 06:49:09 am »

Tdog told this forum these dogs do not exist. These are 6 month old pups from 2 different litters.  One a bull terrier dane and the others are 5/8 dane.        This Tdog (thomas) does not know my dogs, has never seen them, has never met me, or spoke to me at length in private.  Thus person has no experience with anything relative to me nor understanding of anything relative to me and should not be talking about me or the dogs to others as if he does.           

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 04:05:20 pm »

I have been around 2 half dane pits many yrs ago before I got into dogos, and owned 1 pure dane. They were all good cds but the crosses were really cool. In the yard and the woods very solid looking, catching, and house pets. The straight dane was to big for my preference, not really hunting issues just at the house, dog box etc. Dont have much experience with them but the one's I was around a decade + ago would make the cut for most standards. And were easy on the eyes...
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 04:14:16 pm »

Ummm? Poor disposition and didn't continue any further?   I've got 3 pups by two different litters from my old Danes here.  One a Dane × Bull Terrier the other two are Dane × bull lurcher.       I'd not discontinued anything of the dane blood except the harlequin color gene that was in my full danes.      Can't line breed responsibly if you got the harlequin color gene expressing itself in your breeding stock. 
[/quote]

I did not know that about the harlequin color. Please expand if you get time. The pit dane mixes we used were off a black dane, my straight dane was harlequin and a good cd but never bred it...
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 07:09:47 pm »

Here are a few of the  6 month olds.        Rumor and gossip has it that these dogs have already matured and catching pigs and have been discontinued for poor disposition.   These are littermates to some of the other pictures I shared earlier disproving the lie that was told by someone who has no knowledge of me or my dogs yet think they can speak on my behalf about what I got going on my own yard.       These are my 3 personal dogs I kept for myself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 07:59:10 pm »

I did not know that about the harlequin color. Please expand if you get time. The pit dane mixes we used were off a black dane, my straight dane was harlequin and a good cd but never bred it...
[/quote]

The harlequin or merl gene can be associate with deafness and blindness.    If you breed two Dane together and both have that color gene then often times you will get an abundance of white and probably blue eyes or some kind of off colored eye like a yellowish greenish color.          Often times these blue eyes in Danes don't magnify or intensify light.   So their ability to hunt at night and navigate  the woods or brush or anything for that matter is worse than humans trying to pick their way through the brush with no light source.            Also their is a good chance a pup or two or more in the litter will be deaf.  Wither in one ear or both.            I bred an exceptionally awsome Dane male that was harlequin to a pretty fair fawn female.  She had a small white stripe on the back of her neck.     The resulting litter had deaf pups, white pups, blue eyes and none reflective eyes etc.       However some pups were really good and correct coloring.          I kept 3 of them.   One had yellow greenish eyes.  He was a phenomenal dog but couldn't see at night to save his life.   Sent him to pet home.     Other male was a beautiful harlequin.  He was pretty good and fantastic disposition like my Tuff dog.    Utility type disposition since we are throwing that term around on this thread trying to seem smart lol.      Anyway nothing wrong with that dog.   Bred him to a wolfhound based blue bull lurcher ( blue was from the wolfhound)   resulting litter was 13 all healthy pups and some of the prettiest pups ever but still I had mostly harlequins and fawnequins.      I was done!  How can I line breed with a color gene like that.   So I kept 2 pups out of that litter and both solid colored fawn pups which are the two your seeing in the last pictures I just posted to this thread.     I need the same harlequin Dane to my bull terrier I had at the time and bred her also to Tuff  3 or 4 days later.     Result was a split litter.  3 Billy Danes and 4 from Tuff.  2 of the bully Danes were very beautiful harlequins.       The other a mantel color pattern which is the bully dand I kept for myself that you also see with the other two fawn Danes from the other breeding.           So even when a Dane is a solid color like a black, it could have a parent that was harlequin or merl.       Same with fawn Danes.    If both parents are black and the litter is black then good to go for breeding that to a harlequin.        I think many harlequins are doubled up.  People trying so hard to get harlequins that they are breeding harlequin to harlequin or merl to merl or harlequin to merl which I bet my paycheck is what my old harlequin stud was.      I was pleased with my Danes I just had to get away from the harlequin gene since I breed loosely related dogs usually.         You can research it.  Just put in something like deafness associated with harlequin gene in Danes or something along those lines.      Same for piebald pits and stuff I believe. 

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 12:54:27 pm »

Good looking dogs thanks for explanation, keep us posted on there catching progress, id bet that they make a hand.
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 01:21:36 am »

Hey Dean why dont you read Tdogs post again.  Yes he mention you but be said he used crosssss before and dane passed on bad disposition. He never said anything about your dog. The word "he and we" have different meaning. You pal are most certainly an arrogant asswhole. I have no quarrels with you , i enjoy reading your bs and i really enjoy yours pictures... But you have some major attitude and problem with the way you talk to people and hold yourself and your dogs so high. You must really enjoy reading your own post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: