April 23, 2024, 07:08:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuff and son pics from today  (Read 623 times)
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2021, 01:48:13 pm »

Pictures of Tuff and son on a few boars

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 03:11:31 pm »

Good pics Dean. How old is the young dog and is he finding hogs on his own yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 03:33:00 pm »

Good pics Dean. How old is the young dog and is he finding hogs on his own yet?

Thanks.    He just turned 10 months old.       I don't look for my dogs to start catching their own pigs till they are in their 14th month.   They will usually start finding their own shortly before starting to catch their own.     I usually don't even start my dogs till they are 12 months old if they are bred like he is.     I have a couple of his littermates setting at home ive never brought out yet.   Will wait a couple more months  before i do so with them.     I really like one of them and dont want to screw him up by bringing him out to soon and while its so hot.  These type dogs are much different than pits.  Use same approach and likely to turn a rockstar into a wishy washy dog that  will eventually start giving the impression it is always trying hard but struggling. 
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 10:25:00 pm »

I see. Makes sense to me

Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 10:40:18 pm »

I see. Makes sense to me

I've got faster maturing and naturally harder dogs like Tuff himself that are more user friendly.  These type dogs as Lugger that are more wolfhound based with very little pit or bull blood are a lot different dog than a pit or bull terrier type mentality.      Lot of time is invested in developing a dog like Lugger and his littermates.      I only did that breeding to preserve my really good stag × wolfhound  blood for later crosses.   I was about to dilute it to much and loose it forever.  I've got it pretty well captured now in three young dogs
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 07:52:25 pm »

Does Tuff through pups with build and looks like him? And you never catch sows or little ones do you?
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 05:58:22 am »

Good hogs and looks like the young one is off to a good start. Do you let the pup loose to run with Tuff or are you spotting the hogs first and turning the dogs loose on them?

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 07:45:51 am »

Does Tuff through pups with build and looks like him? And you never catch sows or little ones do you?

Tuff has never been bred to anything yet that would allow pups resembling him physically.   However i do see a some pups with similar mentalities.    Tuff had a white star on hus forehead when he was born that faded away as he matured.   That same white star was on Luggers forehead and it too has faded.  I bred Tuff to a crazy hard and ocd bull terrier.   Those pups come out with very good minds and a little mire laid back than their mother thankfully.             I do catch sows and catch little ones in occasion especially on crop fields where the cops are so tall the dogs can't see pigs even when the dogs find them.   Haygrazer for instance, the dog catches first thing it can.   Even in real tall mature wheat keeping visual contact with a pig once its found is really hard for the dog.    The field will be saturated with scent so when the group is found and scatters, pigs start laying down running off in different directions etc.  The dog can't see what's going on so it can't pick and choose.   The dogs just catch first thing they can.    In thick brush they can't really be choosy either and will often catch first thing they can.       So i do catch sows and smalls but i seldom will take pictures or post them of small pigs unless maybe its a young dogs first few catches by itself
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 09:27:03 am »

Good hogs and looks like the young one is off to a good start. Do you let the pup loose to run with Tuff or are you spotting the hogs first and turning the dogs loose on them?

Thank you, yes i hunt my young dogs loose with Tuff.     I don't use dog boxes or clip dogs on.  I just let my dogs ride loose on the bed of my truck.   When Tuff rigs off the truck I'll stop and he will jump and the other dog will follow.  Always a fence that has to be gotten through or under also which is the very first lesson the young dogs have to learn.  Usually that takes a hunt or two and then the dog will get the hang of getting through the fences.     When Tuff rigs its usually a stinky boar somewhere close or a herd of pigs.      He wont usually rig on something several hundred yards away despite several instances of him jumping off and going distances out to 700  and lugging up on boar when i had stopped to pee or fill my coffee cup.               I hunt my dogs every way imaginable but prefer casting them in the crop fields or roading them down wind of the fields.       The young dog is always loose to  go with the lead dog.  Hunting a young dog 1 on 1 with a good lead dog seems to really get the youngsters off to a good start and provides them with a quick understanding of the ropes.    Tuff and i really click.  Somehow he knows the day im going hunting for instance.  He is really in tune with me.  .  Also he knows my style very well.  If i shift my style he picks uo on it real well.        I can also tell him to stay and set and he does and wont go hunt down more pigs from the mob.   The young dogs do as Tuff untill they mature and start caching their own.  At that point they know the ropes very well and are usually very similar to Tuff.   I put a good handle on my dogs before they go hunting speaking of.      Tuff is a good practical all around dog.   Not a special dog in any one area but what makes him special is just how general and practical he is.     I don't breed for badass finders or superstars in only 1 area.  I like a general purpose utility type dog that is a one dog show and performs ok at all methods of pig dogging and in all terriain and all year round.         Dogs like that take crossing multiple breeds and types in order to get.    During that breeding process you'll see me with dogs like Lugger for instance that are skewed  more to one style of pig dogging than others.   Thats just the nature of  crossing dogs.  Got to make certain crosses which you can then breed to other crosses you've previously done in order to obtain a good practical all purpose dog that also has form for the function.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: