April 24, 2024, 01:45:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STRANGE SORT OF FOOT PROBLEM  (Read 729 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2021, 10:45:04 am »

I have a young female here (about 18 months old) that sores up pretty bad every time I take her hunting. I am hunting in mountains that are steep and rocky. Through the years I have paid lots of attention to dogs feet as when you use them hard and consistently their feet are important. Now this young gyp that gets sore footed has a good tight foot, not as deep vertically as I  like to see but about average, she is of good structural conformation, the way she sores up is different from any I have ever had. She loses a small match head size piece of pad on the very tip of the toe pad on all four feet. I can't figure out what causes her to sore up in this fashion. I thought I may not be giving her time to heal up completely between hunts but a few weeks ago she came in heat and was left home for about 2.5 weeks and there was no improvement when I started hunting her again. I have watched them through the years and have came to  believe that on flat ground and down hill they tear their big pad when hustling, on the hunting dogs, on the cow dogs leading lots of stopping turning and accelerating does it, lots of steep uphill will wear or tear their toe pads, but I have been hunting 8 dogs total and none of them except this young female are having any foot issue at all. All have the same care, usage, and terrain. The best I can come up with is genetically she has a foot problem. Have any of you ever saw a like problem?
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 12:11:16 pm »

Just curious, is she one of your plotts or is she one of your curs? That’s odd for sure. I had one that would sore up when I started her but I let her heal and then doctored her feet every 2 days with the turpentine/pinetar mix for about a week before I hunted her again and she did fine after that.  I’m with you though unless she’s one that is chewing or licking her feet constantly I would bet on her just having poor feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 12:50:28 pm »

She is a Plott and does not lick or chew her feet, it's just odd that it is only on the tip of her toe pads, almost like pressure on the toenail tears the pad. All these dogs I run in the mountains toenails are worn very short.
 I figure it is customary for a soft dog or an unhunted pup to wear or tear their pads when we first start them if they will hook in, go and stay in rough terrain but then harden up after a few outs. I'm talking about the ol'pups that go run hard for several continuous hours in their first few outs with no prior conditioning.
I'm not big on needing to doctor on or make special care for one all the time for them to be able to do their job. Generally this strain of Plott Dogs have exceptionally tough feet.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 01:35:05 pm »

I understand what you mean on the continuous special care, I’m the same way. What kind of floor is in her kennel if she’s kennel kept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 01:40:54 pm »

They are all on dirt.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 02:24:11 pm »

I wonder if you could download a camera or photo app, I heard of one just the other day that had a remarkable slow mo feature, maybe you could someone to video her in an open stride and then watch it in the slow mo and see if she's not carrying her feet right for some reason and maybe dragging that one spot somehow, if it's the same size sore in the same spot on all feet...
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 03:23:43 pm »

I'm afraid that's beyond my tech capabilities. The gyp is athletic and a fast track dog and just watching her I can't see any problems with her stride and carriage, but I have considered it could well be in the way she strides or "digs in" going up real steep places.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 03:37:23 pm »

Sounds like a cull to me. You better send her down here where I can run her in the soft stuff.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 05:03:02 pm »

I had her down there in Feb. and she done pretty good, and now that you mention it she does not do that when I am hunting the flat grounds in the winter time.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 07:20:56 pm »

I had her down there in Feb. and she done pretty good, and now that you mention it she does not do that when I am hunting the flat grounds in the winter time.

That's something I've never given much thought to, how the contour of the terrain will alter the angulation and position in which the foot lands...
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 08:25:02 pm »

I mentioned in the first thread of this post how it looks to me like the different angles either up down or flat are harder on different parts of the foot and when you think about it is makes some sense. But this gyp is different from any I have seen in all the years.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 03:46:25 am »

That's what first got my wheels to turning thinking about it, it makes complete good sense, few years ago, actually bout 7 yrs ago I used to run a garmin collar, a radio collar, and a tri tronics collar and could never figure out why I had a couple that would stay sore and crippled footed but didn't have raw or blown pads, after my paw in law made the jab about all that jewelry I had on her weighing her down, I got to giving it some thought and gotta watching the ones having issues and how they carried themselves with and w/o the collars and am convinced that the unnatural uneven weight distribution was causing the soreness and lameness...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: