March 28, 2024, 11:38:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pics  (Read 396 times)
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2021, 07:16:59 pm »

Had a nice young couple join me on a hunt

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 07:59:24 pm »

Man Alive, that lady had a sword, could stick all the way through one and heavy enough to chop down trees, haha good hunt.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 08:22:34 pm »

Looks like they enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 08:54:54 pm »

Man Alive, that lady had a sword, could stick all the way through one and heavy enough to chop down trees, haha good hunt.

Thank you.  Yeah that's one of my knives.   It has a 10 inch blade.  I prefer an 11 inch blade like my main knife i used for years.    I find that the 10 and 11 inch blades do a much better and faster job of killing than a shorter blade.     Most of my guests bring their own knives.  I usually have to hand them mine so we can get the pig killed quickly after they have already stuck it pretty good with theirs.          The quicker i get the pig killed the quicker my dogs role off which decrease the distance i have to run to the next catch.           I see a lot of knives brought out by guests.   All  around 7 or 8 inch blade usually.     Most of my quests will leave their knives sheathed after the first pig and just use mine from then on out.     Also i put an edge on the top portion of the blade as well.   The double edged knife penetrates a lot easier than a blade with only 1 cutting edge.         Its a lot easier for a lady to sink a sharp pointed double edged sharp knife into a really big boar.     Plus it makes them feel good when that big boar is on its side kicking in just a few seconds.    Usually its their first experience as was the case with this lady and the lady before her.   They don't like to see the pig suffer and start thinking they did something wrong if the pig doesn't fall in the first 4 or 5 seconds.  So good knife and a good clean quick kill on a big ol boar keeps the thrill in it for the lady and the husband or boyfriend thinks their ladies have done a tremendous job and exceeded the expectations they had for their wives or girlfriends.         I have never bought a blade i liked.  Always have to modify them to my liking.       I personally hardly ever have a pig on its feet longer than 5 seconds after i have stuck it.  I just let the dogs hold till the boar falls.          I tell my quest the same, just let the dog hold the pig.  Walk up to the pig, grab it by the scruff of the neck so you can keep your balance and use that leverage to push the knife in.      Then  back up and let the dog hold it till the pig falls.        
Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 09:15:18 am »

I always enjoy your threads Dean, thanks for posting.
Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 09:20:24 am »

I always enjoy your threads Dean, thanks for posting.
Well thank you!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 09:48:59 am »

Dean, I agree completely on the knife. I had a 6” Schrade dual edge knife that had a needle point. I loved it… until I had one dog holding a 225lb boar in some knee deep water that was bound and determined to swim across the big creek we were in. I was trying to pull him back to the bank with no luck so I ended up going western new jumping on his back and I must’ve stuck him 75 times in both sides before I finally killed him. His shield was so thick I was having a hard time getting to vitals. While I was stabbing him he was walking out in to deeper water and about to swim with me on his back and the dog still on an ear. I now carry a 10” knife that I had a buddy make for me. Dual edged for the first 3-4” on the top makes a huge difference in how easy you can stick it in. I also like it because when I stab one I will bury the knife to the handle and then rock it up and down real fast, pivoting off of the top of the blade. Like you said, it only takes seconds to kill one. I have to kill the hogs I catch, but I still don’t like to see one suffer unnecessarily.

A friend of mine uses a pocket knife and also kills them quickly but he has to make a hole big enough that he can almost reach his hand in it to get deep enough on a big hog. That’s his method and works for him, but I much rather have a knife that’s a little bigger. Makes it a lot easier to get a good stab in to the vitals if you’re in kind of an odd position trying to reach over/around stuff in a tight spot where you don’t have easy access to the hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: