April 18, 2024, 05:59:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9/4/21 Hunt  (Read 528 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2021, 02:12:43 pm »

The fella that owned the male dog we bred to my black female sent me a message and asked if I wanted to make a run up near his house this morning. We’ve known each other for a while now but still hadn’t made a hunt together so I got up at 3:50am and loaded up my two young dogs Red and Ranger, their momma Copper, and my RCD Punk. Left the house at 4:30, to get to his house by 6:00. We rode 10 minutes over to the land and met the landowner (first time he has hunted this place) and the land owner had a game plan for where he thinks we should turn out based on his corn piles and where he has seen hogs on camera.

We walked the dogs in for probably 20 minutes and they were hunting a few hundred yards out but not hitting on anything yet. Ranger and Punk ended up stretching out and they were running one for probably 20-30 minutes and we got up towards where they were, then they looped back around and were up towards where we started. Desmond asked what I wanted to do so I said let’s just hangout for a few minutes and see if they get it stopped or if they come back towards us again. While we are sitting there BS’ing my garmin buzzes, shows Red barking 20 barks a minute. A second or two after that he pops treed. Desmond had one or two dogs that popped treed at the same time, all of them 220ish yards from where we were.

We listened and couldn’t hear anything so we start moving to them and they ended up having a nice little boar caught in a briar bed on some power lines, probably 70-75lbs. Caught that one at 7:43am. We get it killed and leash the dogs up and walk up a few hundred yards to where the landowners buddy drove down to pick us up. My other two dogs Punk and Ranger were working back towards us and actually got on the road that the guy had just drove down. I tried to call them out and when they were 250yds from us they broke a hard left and went 700yds up a creek before they finally ended up turning around and I was able to call them out. They had probably been on that track for close to an hour by that point.

We then go to another side of the property where they put corn out last night. All corn is gone and they pulled the card on the camera and had a picture of hogs at 8:45pm last night. At this time it’s about 8:30am so we cast the dogs at the wallow. My Ranger pup goes down to the bottom of the field with a few other dogs and cut hard to the right. He splits off from them and goes to 280yds and we hear him start baying. We start towards him and once the other dogs honored him they caught out immediately. Ended up being a nice little toothy boar, I’m guessing between 150-175lbs with some good little shanks. I was happy as can be that the pup went in there solo and had him bayed for a few minutes by himself, caught him at 8:59am.

The landowner was having a ball and said he wanted to try one more spot, so who am I to turn down another drop lol. We go to a different spot of the property and walked the dogs down a long shooting lane and just hung out for a few minutes. A few of the dogs made some loops but didn’t seem to hit on anything. Ranger starts rolling off by himself and picks up a pretty good pace. I lost track on him around .7, then picked it back up around a mile and and he was going straight towards a highway that wasn’t far at all so we made the call to load dogs up and try to get to the highway and cut him off. Once we get going down the paved road I picked him back up, he had made it about 100yds from the highway and then cut back away from it. I thought he was about to back track and he ends up popping treed. 4-5 minutes later we get as close as we can and he’s still sitting there showing treed 385yds off the road. I grabbed Copper and Desmond grabbed his dog and we eased in and sent them to the bay from about 250 yards. They got in there and hammered another nice little boar that was probably around 60-70lbs, right at 10:30am.

All in all it was one of the funnest hunts I’ve had in quite a while and was a great one for the young dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 02:22:47 pm »

Nothing wrong with that. I bet that landowner was a happy camper. Good hunt.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 02:25:11 pm »

Good hunt, nice to see progress on your young dogs!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 10:51:43 pm »

Nice dog work bud. Glad you made a showing.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 07:15:31 am »

Thanks fellas, I sure had a great time and was glad to be invited. The landowner was having a blast, he was with us the whole time and was hollering and encouraging the dogs every time they had one caught, lol. I’m glad it worked out that way, he told us he will put out more corn and get them baited back up and call Desmond to come do it again.

Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 03:05:52 pm »

Those small cutters on small hogs are bad on dogs.
Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 09:01:03 pm »

That’s sweet man!

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 09:57:59 am »

I was actually surprised that he didn’t cut any of the dogs. When that pup first bayed him he started walking, I was watching the garmin while we were listening to the bay, and before the other dogs got there he moved about 20-30yds and managed to get underneath a fallen tree to make his stand. My RCD punk somehow was caught on the bottom of his jaw so that they were basically nose to nose, and got put in a bad spot where he was jerking his head straight up and down with his teeth going up and down in the side of her shoulder. I don’t have a vest on her because I’ve got to get one custom made to fit her because she’s pretty small. I couldn’t believe he didn’t cut her at all. She was the one wearing the tracking collar with the pink strap that almost got cut in half. After I got home and was unloading dogs is when I found out that the collar was cut and that my other pup that was wearing a vest got a few good nicks on the side of the collar part

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 10:06:35 am »

I don’t know how to post videos on here, but here is a screenshot of the catch. It’s kind of hard to see it good with just the screenshot. Desmond’s white dog is actually on top of the hogs back straddling him. It’s hard to tell in the picture but it was in a little ravine in some pretty steep hills, a ditch where water comes down the hills and dumps rain runoff in to a creek. It was a bit of a pain in the butt getting him out

Form 4 Function
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 08:38:44 pm »

Thats a nice hunt yall had.   Always a great time when the landowner is having a blast and keeps wanting more. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: