April 25, 2024, 03:36:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last weeks hunt  (Read 747 times)
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2021, 12:25:27 am »

Haven't had much luck all summer mainly been toning back when we did get on hogs because of land or slow cold tracks the hounds could barely move. Well that finally we broke the dry spell. Road all the way down this dirt road to a river and dropped maybe 500 yards away. I casted my walker slick playboy the bluetick my pup rooster out of ranger and a pointer and my dog possum. I just climbed back in the truck to finish my biscuit. And didn't pay much mind especially the way things have been going I was mainly there to let that pup get some time. I looked up after a few minutes and my dog possum was acting antsy in the road like he could hear something. I get out of the truck and I could hear them locked down. I only had my catchdog chief with me because he has the best handle but most people would of honestly culled him. Today if anything was bad enough to roll him I had my 20 gauge. My dogo is put up from fighting and my female was in heat. So me and him head that way. I could only hear three dogs so I knew something was up I get in close enough through this low limbed swamp and send chief and get in as fast as I could. Well I seen my pup rooster and walked over him to get to the bay. He had passed. Chief was getting walked around with and I couldn't get myself in there to leg the hog so i crawled in about 6 foot away and shot him his ass end hit the ground and my damn mossberg jammed up I shook it around some while this hog is still somewhat mobile and popping his jaws at me and I shot him in the head. Hate I lost a good pup I had bred but it's part of it and he died doing what he was created for. 

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 09:10:16 am »

Man that’s a tough go. Hate you lost your pup. Sounds like you need a big umbrella. That black cloud following you around is sure enough raining on you. It will get better.  Keep plugging away. Had your pup been on hogs before or was this first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 09:35:01 am »

Oh yeah for sure. He had been on a few in a pen just nothing with cutters.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 12:46:04 pm »

good thing that gun un jammed!
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 12:52:47 pm »

Man I sure hate to hear hunts like that with a pup involved..  You either get lucky with pups and they learn cause of the hogs that they are put on gives em a chance or they get thrown out in the surgery room to preform brain surgery when they aint even went to college yet..   I had that happen to me while I was young ,,  thats why I never throw out a pup with more than 2 more dogs on the ground..  if the ones you hunt is rough at all.. them good rank suckers will find the weak link in the pack and that pup will catch the worst of it every time..  Sorry again for your loss on a good up & comer..   

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 05:44:41 pm »

Nice hog bud. Tough break on the pup. I hear ya on the tough summer hunting. It’s been a tough one for me and my pack as well. Summer hunting in thin, educated hog populations will make you wonder if you need a new hobby! ……or in my case, new dogs!

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 07:37:53 pm »

Sorry to hear about your pup, it’s always the good ones that get killed young

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 03:08:24 am »

Yeah I know it that things about as useful as captain jack sparrows compass. It just works sometimes. And yeah it was bad. He looked and walked just like his dad.. but I still got a half sister to him that's looking good. I had planned to cross them two over but now we're at restart. And shotgun66 your preaching to the quire. It came to the point my wife stopped asking when I got home haha. I'm just ready to get back out there with this semi cooler weather moving in.

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 03:09:23 am »

Thanks austesus when you gonna make a trip south

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 06:09:50 am »

Sorry to hear about your pup. I never even got to hunt this summer. That's a good hog tho.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 03:01:47 pm »

I’d love to but I’m currently trying to save all the extra money that I can. My companies contract with the government expired last September and we got an extension, now we’ve got another extension until December but after that I’ll more than likely be out of work since my company is closing up shop in SC.

After I get all of that figured out I’d like to make some trips to hunt in some different places. I could care less about killing a hog, I’m more content to take the pictures and let someone else kill it. I just enjoy having a good time and watching dogs work

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 12:04:15 am »

Thank you and yeah I've been pondering selling a few dogs so I can get a dual sport and do some adventuring

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: