April 20, 2024, 07:47:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice Boar  (Read 1439 times)
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2021, 06:53:02 pm »

I decided to take my lead bay  dog and the catch dogs out yesterday morning. 55 degrees and just a beautiful morning. Headed to a spot that I usually bay Sounders on. Red dog took a track off the road and drifted 300 yards to the southeast, got on his horse and went 900 yards west and fell bayed. Beautiful solo dog bay. Got about 60 yards out and sent the catch dogs to him. Got to the catch and this rank ol boar was backed under a root ball with dogs on both ears. I had to do a little fancy footwork to get him legged and stuck. New bulldog did a nice job. Unfortunately my bay dog has taken to helpin catch and got cut again. Back on the injured list……

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 06:54:08 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 06:59:37 pm »

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 07:39:33 pm »

Sounds like a good hunt. Hope he heals quick. The bulldog has a nice head shape

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 09:38:35 pm »

that's a good looking hog and dog. Hope your dog heals up.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 06:34:38 pm »

Thanks fellas.
-
TDog I really didn’t want to mess with that little bulldog but he has turned out to be a dam nice catch dog and just a pleasure to mess with. He hunts off the lead and will wait to be sent to the bay. Stamina for days and durable as they come. All bulldog. Only thing I’ll knock him on is athleticism but he’s not a plug. I’ve gotten used to these RCDs and he’s just not as fast or agile as they are. Best temperament on a “pit” bulldog I have ever seen. Turn him loose in the yard with other dogs. He’s a cool dude. He will never be left unattended because I can see he won’t let anybody run over him….just a good natured confident dog.
-
I’m in a bind on my bay dog situation. My 1 year old prospect is a nice little gyp who hunts and finds hogs consistently at her young age. Unfortunately she’s the bay bustin est dam dog I’ve ever hunted. I can’t hunt her anymore like she is. I’m gonna send her to remedial bay pen/mock hunt school during deer season. I’ll probably end up moving in from her but I really like her and don’t mind givin her some extra tlc.
-
I’ve got the stud dog I want to start breeding off of but I can’t find a gyp I like enough to breed him. I’m seriously considering just taking deer season totally off and finding a gyp I like to start my breeding program.
-
Tough decision for me because I’m a hunter, trainer, handler by nature. I’ve pushed the envelope as far as I can with him. I gotta put him up before he gets killed. Hope he reproduces himself.
-
I have access to some nice dogs a little north of me that I might hunt during goat season. I’ve never been good at Sutton at the house!

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 06:50:26 pm »

Refresh my simple mind shotgun, what kind of strike/bay dogs are you hunting? That bulldog sounds like a nice dog.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 06:53:41 pm »

Good hog nice looking bulldog hope your dog gets healed up for you soon

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 07:10:26 pm »

Thanks NLA. Much appreciated.
-
T Dog - at this point in my life

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 07:14:42 pm »

Thats a good hog bud! Hope your dog heals up quick for ya.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 07:15:58 pm »

I like a dog that hunts 300 to 500 in no sign. Leaves out consistently in sign. 45 minutes to an hour of bottom. Dead Silent until bayed. Willing to work alone or in company. Handles to commands they are allowed to learn.
-
I have fallen in love with the front end style bay dog that circles on large groups. Stock Sense I guess it’s called.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 08:16:09 pm »

Shotgun, sounds like a great hunt. I really enjoy the hunts with just one or two dogs where you can watch them work the whole time. That was a nice boar, sounds like you have a nice dog as well, I wish you the best of luck on reproducing him. I’m starting down that path now and it’s been several years of setbacks before finally getting to this point of really being able to start. Hopefully that young gyp will make a turn around for you

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 05:19:16 pm »

Thanks Austesus. The little gyp doesn’t use teeth to bust bays. She actually gets a little intimidated by Sounders & mature boars that charge her. She will turn away from them and then close back in on a small hog. She gets run over by a big hog and squalls. After that they bust and she runs after them yippin every breath. I think she wants them to run so she can single out a shoat to catch. She also feels safer running behind them than she does facing them to bay. She’s been on at least 10 good solid 20 plus minute bays with my red dog. Only on mature solo hogs though. Shes bayed her own solo hogs a few times. I was close with the catch dog and got them caught. She’s busted every group she’s been on. I figure her only hope us to spend a lot of time around hogs and in the pen with them. Maybe she can relax and learn to bay. She has a good nose, good mouth, handles good, hunts well. The hard stuff comes easy to her and the easy part is hard for her. I’m gonna spay her and give her some bay pen/mock hunt time. If she learns to bay, I’ll feed her and hunt her. Probably wasting my time but I like her so I’m gonna do it. I dang sure can’t watch her bust anymore bays. My woods time is too valuable.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 07:52:22 am »

I understand that completely. When I first started hunting I had a hard time catching hogs with only started dogs and no real lead dog. That’s why I wouldn’t run an open dog for so long, they would trash and open up in a spot that had real skittish hogs and after that you might as well load up and drive a few miles down the road to a new spot because the hogs would be gone. A true lead dog could’ve obviously lined out a track out of that if he had the bottom to go, but those pups wouldn’t do it at that time. Made for a lot of frustrating hunts before I started taking less me less dogs lol. It sounds like the little gyp might make a good dog with some more experience though.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 11:01:58 am »

Thanks Austesus. The little gyp doesn’t use teeth to bust bays. She actually gets a little intimidated by Sounders & mature boars that charge her. She will turn away from them and then close back in on a small hog. She gets run over by a big hog and squalls. After that they bust and she runs after them yippin every breath. I think she wants them to run so she can single out a shoat to catch. She also feels safer running behind them than she does facing them to bay. She’s been on at least 10 good solid 20 plus minute bays with my red dog. Only on mature solo hogs though. Shes bayed her own solo hogs a few times. I was close with the catch dog and got them caught. She’s busted every group she’s been on. I figure her only hope us to spend a lot of time around hogs and in the pen with them. Maybe she can relax and learn to bay. She has a good nose, good mouth, handles good, hunts well. The hard stuff comes easy to her and the easy part is hard for her. I’m gonna spay her and give her some bay pen/mock hunt time. If she learns to bay, I’ll feed her and hunt her. Probably wasting my time but I like her so I’m gonna do it. I dang sure can’t watch her bust anymore bays. My woods time is too valuable.

Just asking, but how is it that she's busting bays but not putting any teeth on them....
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 01:29:46 pm »

She rushes into them like she’s going to bite them but turns away from them at the last second. She targets the ass end like a heeler. She does it to groups and mature hogs. She looks for an opening to single out shoats. She will catch shoats but she will not bite a hog larger than her. She’s 47 lbs. she will pester a mid size hog on the back end until it runs. A sure enough rank hog will run over her and she will jump up squalling, bark a few times and if it don’t run from her, she’ll quit. I can understand her getting intimidated and quitting a rank hog or a large sounder really rallying on her. I hate that she wants to jump and run them.
-
She just pesters and pressured them w/o biting them. Quite frankly it’s hard to watch.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 02:08:14 pm »

Refresh my simple mind shotgun, what kind of strike/bay dogs are you hunting? That bulldog sounds like a nice dog.

TDog ….my apologies. I don’t think I answered your question. I’m hunting a red BMC from the David Thoms line of stock dogs as my main bay dog. He’s a winding dog by nature but will ground trail some. Hunts out 300 yards in no sign. Checks in more than I like. He does his best work alone. He just grabs tracks or winds groups and falls bayed. No skipping around or runnin off. He just gets bayed. He’s quirky and shy around strange people and dogs. I’ve hunted dogs with better noses, more hunt, and more talent, but he bays me 3 times as many hogs. He just knows how to find em and stop em.
-
I like a short to medium range loose bay dog that stays busy and will roll over when groups bust. They don’t have to be finished. I can work with them. I run a small operation. 4 dogs. 1 finished bay, 1 bay prospect. I finished catch, 1 catch prospect. I treat them very well and only ask them to give me effort and some level of production 2 out of 7 days a week!

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 03:53:48 pm »

I see. Hey if you like him that’s all that matters. I’ve been around lots of black mouth dogs that are natures like that. I’ve always liked the red ones best but it’s hard to beat some of them yella ones for purdy. Purdy is what bays hogs ya know!

Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2021, 05:16:03 pm »

I see. Hey if you like him that’s all that matters. I’ve been around lots of black mouth dogs that are natures like that. I’ve always liked the red ones best but it’s hard to beat some of them yella ones for purdy. Purdy is what bays hogs ya know!

Thanks T. From my experience the good ones from these dogs are super nice BUT I’ve also seen a high cull rate. It seems like they are either real nice or duds. Not much in between with them. Again, I HOPE he reproduces but I have my doubts. I’m afraid he’s that “freak” dog that don’t.
-
To be clear, I have hunted with his father, mother, paternal aunt, and maternal aunts. All nice, consistent dogs. Mixed results from his litter. 5 out of 8 made “feedable” dogs. 2 of them are special. Both red. Both Favor the father who was by far the best I’ve seen go. Mother was nice but average.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 05:28:25 pm »

Thanks T. From my experience the good ones from these dogs are super nice BUT I’ve also seen a high cull rate. It seems like they are either real nice or duds. Not much in between with them. Again, I HOPE he reproduces but I have my doubts. I’m afraid he’s that “freak” dog that don’t.
-
To be clear, I have hunted with his father, mother, paternal aunt, and maternal aunts. All nice, consistent dogs. Mixed results from his litter. 5 out of 8 made “feedable” dogs. 2 of them are special. Both red. Both Favor the father who was by far the best I’ve seen go. Mother was nice but average.

This is the dog I’m referring to.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: