March 28, 2024, 05:54:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Time Back Out  (Read 448 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2021, 01:43:25 pm »

Well I’ve been stuck at the house with hand raising these puppies and it’s been killing me to not hunt. The guy that got me started with dogs gave me a call yesterday and said he had some hogs that we needed to catch. He’s now the care taker for one of the properties he’s hunted for a long time, about 4K acres on the river with a bunch of corn and wheat fields that are probably 50-75 acres. I managed to convince my wife to handle feeding the pups at 10pm so I would have enough time for a short hunt.

Loaded up Copper, Ranger, Punk, and Sassy and met up at the club house around 6:10pm. We had to wait on the deer hunters to wrap up so we stoked up a nice fire while the guy that owns the place grilled some food. Deer hunters came out with a nice 8pt and we all ate some dinner and hung out by the fire for a little while, had some drinks and told some lies lol. About 10pm me and Donnie rode around to the back of the club to check a wheat field that butts up to the river. He just had two pups with him, one has seen a few pigs and the other was a 9 month old hot bred pit that goes back to the pit side of my Bo Betty dogs.

We slip off one of the roads and Punk and Ranger go 150yds up, run the river bank and are coming up in to the bottom of the field. Right when they’re getting to the field they split. Punk hooked left and Ranger went deeper to the right. We hear a pig grunting and I thought Punk was caught but the garmin wasn’t showing treed. I should’ve trusted my gut, after 30 seconds or so I told Donnie that she was bouncing between 187yds and 185yds on the garmin so he said let’s get to her. I start booking it that way, and notice Ranger never came to honor her, he’s still running his own pig. I get about 75 yards from her and it breaks. We step out in the field and I meet back up with Donnie and told him it broke. Punk was out at 200yds on the river bank trying to stop it again. He said the hunt was done, any hogs that get hit around this area go straight to the river and we weren’t wanting to cross it.

I told him Ranger is still up at 280-300yds ahead of us cutting knots. Donnie says let’s get some other dogs to him so we start walking that way and hear him open up a few chops and sit down bayed. I start running that way and hear punk catch again on the river bank about 150yds to my left. I kept going to Ranger and punk ended up getting rocked and honoring our hog. I get there right as she does and so I’m trying to leg the hog and end up stumbling over some vines and lose hold of the hog. Well he makes a run for it right then and used the vines and little trees to rub off Ranger and Copper. Punk was just about to hit him when that happened, and Donnie’s little bulldog pup got worked up with all the commotion and caught punk.

So it took me a minute or so to break him off of her and I was about to leash him to a tree when they stopped the hog 300yds up ahead of me. I let punk get a running head start and then sent the bulldog behind her. I get up there after a good sprint and the pup is fighting with my copper dog. Talk about being irritated lol. They are 15ft from the hog so I’m trying to break them up and right then is when Donnie made it to us, he said to leave them and get the hog killed, he would get them separated. He broke them up and put the bulldog pup on the hog and let the hog work him over for a minute to get his aggression focused on the pig. That pup had never seen a pig before and is pretty hot bred, he figured it out after that little boar hit him a few times. Shouldn’t have anymore issues out of him now and he ought to make a nice RCD. Once he figured out what the ear was he was locked on and not letting go for anything.

Was a fast little 30 minute hunt, full of some chaos and action lol. I was glad to get out of the house and glad that Ranger made it look easy. He’s the best young dog I’ve raised up until this point, 14 months old and several boars under his belt. This one wasn’t too big and with no real teeth, but I was stoked on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 02:42:43 pm »

Glad y’all caught one but don’t bet on one hog fixing that hot dog.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 03:24:13 pm »

I don’t personally like dogs that are hot like that and haven’t had a true bulldog on my yard in several years now, but I’ve seen Donnie make some in to nice RCD’s. It won’t fight for long or it’ll be in a hole if it’s on his yard

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 04:33:32 pm »

Sounds like pretty good hunt

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 08:27:53 pm »

Yessir, tried again this morning but got smoked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: