March 29, 2024, 09:30:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stags xs, airdales, dogos  (Read 1841 times)
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2021, 09:45:22 pm »

Picked up several stag hound females the other day and they are pretty different. Caught a hog with them while I was checking a trap i think the day of their trip back to sw arkansas. My plan is to cross one to my male dogo i use as a lead in and the other gyp to my friends big airdale ridgeback that he uses as a rcd and hunt the younger one that came with the pair. I was going to wait until after running them for a few months but I'm afraid to loose any of them then be back at the search of a  stagaround here. Which is like finding a needle in a hay pile. I'm looking for pics of stag hound bully crosses and other crosses. I like the big headed hairy dogs in austrailia and can hopefully build my own. Any word on them? I know most of them over there are bull arab and wolfhound or mastiff. The reason I'm wanting to make something like this is because I almost want to go back to the way I used to hunt before I got hounds. Except catch them where they find them. Sometimes I don't mind walking the dogs across a scent rather than them casting out 1000 yards and another 1000. just thought these would be pretty usful for that style even though I could probably do it with some rough yellow dogs but the two I got don't seem to want to reproduce. Thanks for the insight. I stole the pic of the white hairy dog

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 04:48:00 am »

I’ve got 1/2 stag 1/2 AB and 1/4 stag 3/4 Bulldog that do the job just fine. Been using these type dogs for 9 years now for catching.

If you’re running them on the ground you need to watch them in the heat. If you’re dropping them on sight you’ll be fine if you use common sense and rotate them out if they’re in long races.

If you are only running them in a cut collar you are going to go through a lot of dogs. A lot of times I will vest one side of the box and leave the other side with just a tracking collar and drop accordingly. Mine are nowhere near wolfhound size - my males are 80-90 and females around 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 02:17:13 pm »

Pretty intense looking dogs especially that one. How many do you generally run

maverick10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 08:19:15 pm »

We have some as well some 3/4 stag 1/4 bulldog some half stag half bulldog we’ve always use them as straight catchdogs but when we had some break out in a open field we usually drop them and let them run them down..

HARD WORK PAYS OFF!!!! REMEBER IT!!!!
maverick10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 08:26:20 pm »

Stacy 3/4 stag 1/4 bull

These were half stags half bull they had the stag size

This was Stacy son she was out of my American bulldog gave him to a friend and he loves the way he catches

The last two are full brothers learning the vest there the newcomers they are nephews to Stacy there dad was a game pit and so far they are catching in training already

maverick10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 08:28:35 pm »

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 12:29:07 am »

Howd you like the half and half. I got the chance to use mine this weekend caught two decent boars

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 03:12:42 pm »

One food for thought, imo, if a well bred dogo or scott bred ab is not athletic enough for you,  consider crossing up with a malinois or dutch sh. ( same breed imo, just color)  vs the hairy dogs. The advantage imo is they start early, have the same speed and endurance, naturally bite and hold and the 3 ive had would hunt hard if I let them off the leash, which I dont when hog hunting.

Looks like you got  good thing going though and dont need my opinion. Good looking dogs.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 06:00:28 pm »

Arkansas I think you will be happy with the stag crosses you are working on. In my experience, they distinguish themselves in two ways. They can run down and catch hogs spotted in an open field that MOST traditional lead in dogs can’t and most bay dogs won’t. They also have the ability to gather up and run down hogs on misses and busted bays that MOST traditional lead in style dogs can’t. They also listen and handle better and don’t pose as much risk in the kennel as some of the traditional lead in breeds do.
-
I’m a bay dog enthusiast at heart so I don’t run rough or catch dogs on the ground much. Although it wasn’t my style, The gyp below could dam sure wind off the box and go catch mature boar hogs solo. She was 3/4 bulldog, 1/4 stag and probably the only dog I’ve owned that stole my heart. Pure affection and love at the house. She was a literal fanatic about catchin hogs though……
-
Pic to come…..Tapatalk givin me trouble!

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 06:04:15 pm »

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 06:04:36 pm »

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 06:05:07 pm »

And my favorite…..

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 08:37:39 pm »

Make em squeel that's another breed thats hard to find. But honestly I'm not looking into adding hunt with the kind of breeding. Im trying to get some shorter range dogs and I don't want to lead In a bulldog no more. Now if they sniff one close I'm game. But I really don't even want them out there a hundred yards. I know it varies with the dog but I kind of feel like the personality and different mind set these stags seem to have can help. I feel like I could probably be pretty hassle free and not have to worry about them grabbing another dog as much. This weekend I ended up being the guy to bring a gyp in heat even after last weekend I promised to always look. And boy oh boy.

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 09:18:55 pm »

I used the white one this weekend after just splitting up with my buddies I swear I had done walked 20 minutes. I think it was my started cur pit and some other dogs kinda took off and we heard them barking. I eased around and seen his back and sent the cd  and took chase the bay broke and they took off I'm dodging trees and I'm about to get to the bay where they stopped this pig again and i see something big and yellow about to beat me to the bay. My buddy appears out and I leg the hog. They almost ran him right into my buddies. They said they seen it playing out they think my white stag is what had stopped it the second time.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 12:45:12 pm »

Good looking dog shotgun that 1/4 stag sure added some leg

Ark96 I would say the mal/dutch is not for your style, they seem to go out with the curs using nose when allowed. I use mine as a lead in so different styles

But as common as the hairy dog crosses have been the past decade im surprised more people have not used the mal to cross in instead for the same similar benefits.... Again good looking crosses I like them
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 10:30:11 pm »

Shotgun that's some wild looking land where are you hunting from? And on the half and halfs is it enough to get out some of the bulldog tendencies? Another reason whyd I'd be interested in them. If I could have 2 or 3 around my feet not have to worry about a lead, shoot off when they hear a bay with the ass to sit one down I'd be all ears. I know these will in the end be half stag quarter dogo eighth ridgeback eighth airdale but that'll be years from now. No telling on how the half stag quarter ridbevack quarter airdale will be. Hopefully it all goes through so they will be comparable at the same time. Going in the morning with just ranger lefty babygirl and the  2 older stags. I left a damn cut collar out in the woods a few weeks ago when I got my bird dog pup too hot. I had to strip him down and left it on a log. He's becoming quiet a player too. He had already caught on that biggest boar thank goodness he had the backup though.

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 10:34:18 pm »

Jsh what kind of vest are you running? I ran my little catchdogs 4rvest with built in cut collar I'd say it's about half a vest. Only issue is it rubbed her legs so I'm looking into others

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2021, 05:18:44 am »

Wild Boar USA Guardian -  I know they have the chin guard, but I run a cut collar under them as well. I like the vest a little on the looser side to allow full flex on their body when they run.

I don’t believe in the plates.   My dogs are not as tall as the Australian type dogs and maybe that’s why, but I damn near lost my good female in a plate. Not enough coverage for my taste, especially in the brush.

Shotgun got his dog from me so I will answer your question, the half breeds are just as hard. They are considerably faster than the three-quarter cross. The three-quarter crosses are bigger bodied and can hold the bigger boars easier if you have to turn them out alone.

I have had no issues with aggression in any of them. 
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2021, 07:09:56 am »

I’ve only had one stag and she was super around the house. Outside of hunting her just once or twice I have no more experience with them. She was very greyhoundy in the sense of not being super hairy and her frame was too fine.  Do y’all think it matters which way you cross them as far as the stag being the sire or the dam?

Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 08:28:21 am »

Ark96…..I’m in North Texas just a little west of the DFW metroplex.
-
As JSH said, I got my dogs from him. I agree with everything he posted about them.
-
On the bulldog stag crosses, you will not need more than 2 on any hog. They will be able to handle most hogs solo. I hate vet bills and getting anything cut so I try to cut catch dogs in pairs to minimize risk.
-
The stag influence will give you speed and the desire to catch. If you cross them with a good minded bulldog with a solid temperament, you will get some nice dogs that handle and don’t want to fight everything that walks.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: