April 19, 2024, 10:19:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a Cuban cur  (Read 1152 times)
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2022, 06:20:59 pm »

I got to ask I seen the ad for Cuban cur and I don't guess I ever heard of or seen a Cuban cur

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 06:45:05 pm »

Lol. I didn’t know they had hogs in Cuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 07:08:51 pm »

The Cubans in South Florida have them you see a lot of them around the sugar cane.They are usually a tight built ticked up dog usually white with very heavy ticking they say they're good dogs but I have never hunted with one.I can tell you one thing if they consistently catch hogs in sugar cane they're good dogs because I have hunted it and it's no joke.Yes there are hogs in Cuba there's hogs on most tropical islands in the Caribbean and Atlantic.I used to send dogs to a buddy who lived in the Bahamas the hogs over there in the mountains didn't get really big but have really big teeth.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 07:10:08 pm »

My son just told me about that.  Lol.  I don’t get out enuff I guess

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 08:12:14 pm »

Obviously they were created but is it known what breeds were used? Do you know anything about the style of dog they are?

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 06:34:45 am »

I have no idea what makes up the breed I would definitely say they have a very heavy pointer influence as well as cattledog of some sort like a kelpie.They are consistent in build and color variations so there's definitely been some time put into them.From what I've been told they're gritty bay dogs but I have never owned or hunted any just talked to people who have.Once again I only have second hand info on them and everything I'm saying could be totally wrong lol.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 08:01:16 am »

I have hunted with some Cuban guys in S. Fl for 20+ years. Never heard of "Cuban Curs" till I got on facebook hog hunting pages a couple years ago!LOL

There were/are good dogs mixed with cur,hound,pointer and bulldog. They alway called them Cuban dogs along with everyone else. Some worked cows....most hog hunted them. They guys i now are from South Florida.

Had some, and have some of the blood mixed in. Just like everything, the guys that hunted hard had good dogs. They kept them pretty tight to a close knit group of guys.

I think what most are now, are a sales pitch. (No offence to whowever posted the add)

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 08:02:09 am »

I made a half hearted attempt to find out about them. Found a few pics but everything kept saying “just ask Cracker”! The biggest difference I saw in the pics was different color wrappers. They seemed to be consistent in type like you say.

cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 08:14:14 am »

Cuban dog I had about 12years ago. Unfortunatly, I lost her to the highway at a young age. Her littermates caught a bunch of hogs in S. Fl ranches and in the cane fields.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook 15 (CB5-571, C910) using Tapatalk

Bred4DaGame
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 07:03:52 am »

There different types most em look all same spotted but from different people ya get different line well these are pure import and some are mixed here in the states Cuban cur. From what i been told Cuban cur is mostly herding guard and find type dogs used to guard Goats and find loose hogs in fields also to hunt deer and rodents
First dog is pure Cuban import buddy dogs
Second pure Cuban import
Pointer mix Cuban cur

Bred4DaGame
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 07:14:27 am »

From what sum say I’ve been told Aussie heeler cattle and braco italiano with terriers many many years ago ever has crossed in mayb imported but mostly braco and Aussie heeler with terriers erróneo has different story depend on part of island but cattle dog mix hound type makes these with sum terrier

Bred4DaGame
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 07:16:16 am »

Bred4DaGame
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 07:24:07 am »

Half Cuban cur Black mouth cur naturally bobtail