March 28, 2024, 09:27:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable Runs  (Read 546 times)
sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2022, 09:22:03 pm »

Anyone have any pictures or details on their cable run setups? Looking for different options other than kennels. Thanks
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 09:53:26 pm »

This has been topic on here a time or two. I had some cable runs and I loved them. I tried several ways and I think my favorite was with the cable about 3 foot off the ground. I dug a hole about 12” deep and 18” in diameter then centered and drove a piece of drill stem down about 3 more feet in the ground. I filled the 12 x 18 hole with concrete. I did the same on the other end about 35-40 feet away. I put long stemmed i-bolts all the way through both posts and used them to put the desired tension on the  cable. On one end I put the dog house and water bucket right up next to the post so that the dog couldn’t get wrapped around it and on the other end I put a stop on it so they couldn’t get wrapped around that end. I used a heavy duty pulley (no plastic) and a swivel at the pulley and heavy duty snaps. I don’t remember what size exactly the cable was but seems like it was like 3/8 maybe. I used power line cable. It’s twisted really tight which allows the pulley to travel smoother and isn’t going to rust and deteriorate as easy. I used 8-10 foot length of chain which gave them 16-20 foot of side to side room. I spaced the runs so that the dogs on the runs couldn’t get within 3-4 feet of each other. The runs I had low on the ground more or less wore the hardware out faster and they drug up and mounded the dirt to the center, under the cable. The ones I put 6-7 foot high took more chain to give them range and it hurt a Lil bit when you walk under one and the dog slaps you up side the head with the chain or pulley. The three foot high is up enough that the dogs can run under them with ease and you can mow under them easy. You can also step over them. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 10:18:57 am »

Anyone have any pictures or details on their cable run setups? Looking for different options other than kennels. Thanks

I got mine off chewy.com. I defiantly like them but wondering if I should have just done the typical chain set up. they didnt work well in the ice storm
sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 08:06:58 pm »

This has been topic on here a time or two. I had some cable runs and I loved them. I tried several ways and I think my favorite was with the cable about 3 foot off the ground. I dug a hole about 12” deep and 18” in diameter then centered and drove a piece of drill stem down about 3 more feet in the ground. I filled the 12 x 18 hole with concrete. I did the same on the other end about 35-40 feet away. I put long stemmed i-bolts all the way through both posts and used them to put the desired tension on the  cable. On one end I put the dog house and water bucket right up next to the post so that the dog couldn’t get wrapped around it and on the other end I put a stop on it so they couldn’t get wrapped around that end. I used a heavy duty pulley (no plastic) and a swivel at the pulley and heavy duty snaps. I don’t remember what size exactly the cable was but seems like it was like 3/8 maybe. I used power line cable. It’s twisted really tight which allows the pulley to travel smoother and isn’t going to rust and deteriorate as easy. I used 8-10 foot length of chain which gave them 16-20 foot of side to side room. I spaced the runs so that the dogs on the runs couldn’t get within 3-4 feet of each other. The runs I had low on the ground more or less wore the hardware out faster and they drug up and mounded the dirt to the center, under the cable. The ones I put 6-7 foot high took more chain to give them range and it hurt a Lil bit when you walk under one and the dog slaps you up side the head with the chain or pulley. The three foot high is up enough that the dogs can run under them with ease and you can mow under them easy. You can also step over them. Hope this helps.

Thanks t-dog! Always enjoy reading your posts even if a never put my 2 cents in lol. Yes sir i knew i had seen the topic before somewhere but couldn't find it back. Sounds like you have plenty of experience dealing with these. I always figured you'd want them higher but makes sense that 3 or so feet is about right. This will definitely be helpful when i go to set some up. Have you ever tried putting another cable running to the dog collar?
sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 08:09:18 pm »

I got mine off chewy.com. I defiantly like them but wondering if I should have just done the typical chain set up. they didnt work well in the ice storm

Never gave any thought to that but makes sense after seeing how the power lines fared in all that lol. Definitely something to consider. I'll take a look at those thanks!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 09:42:43 pm »

I have never used cable instead of chain. No particular reason just didn’t. I would assume it would work just as good.

sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 08:20:27 pm »

Thank ya t-dog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: