April 23, 2024, 03:08:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FREEZE BRAND DAY  (Read 1208 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2022, 03:07:10 pm »

Caston Creek and I got together today and had a branding, he had 7 dogs and I done 5, plus rebranded 3 more I had stayed too long on last time.  It was my first time to brand with liquid nitrogen, this second time around just stayed on them 10 seconds so it should be just right, hope hope haha.

CLIPPED

SEDATED

TIED

BRANDED

BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 03:51:21 pm »

I’ve got a few I need to brand myself…those turned out nice!
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 04:06:17 pm »

thats cool
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 06:11:34 pm »

Yessir.   Y’all did it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 06:23:25 pm »

It's the easiest method I know for the dogs and the people.                 It doesn't make them absolutely theft proof but unless they completely leave the country with them you will be able to hear about them, and with the brand as an identifying mark it is somewhat of a deterrent.
Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 06:25:34 pm »

Old man that looks really good
I’m gone be real honest- I have never been around the branding on dogs and I need and want to do it - I would like to learn how and get the tools needed
I’m all ears if y’all willing to share
I’ve seen several cows branded but I know this should be different

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 06:38:58 pm »

Brand looks great! I bought a brand but yet to do mine.

What did you sedate with? Dex?
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 06:42:35 pm »

Looks good I been using dry ice and I think I am fixing to get me nitrogen tank to start using liquid nitrogen to

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 08:06:20 pm »

You need a brass, bronze, copper, or stainless iron. Carbon steel will work but it is bad to stick and pull hide. I made mine out of 5/16 X 1 1/4 stainless. I use Rompun of the 100 mg variety at the rate of one tenth cc/ml per 10 lbs. in the muscle. It does not knock them out completely but makes them much more manageable. I took a piece of plywood and drilled two holes at the dogs neck, heart girth, and flank area and pulled rope through the holes to tie them there. Used a semen tank to transport the liquid nitrogen and pour it in a large styrofoam cup with a rock in the bottom for the iron to set on, that cup is inside a cheap styrofoam cooler and wrapped in a towel to keep it steady and upright, I slotted the lid to the cooler to accomodate the handle of the iron, this keeps the nitrogen from gassing off as fast. That's all you need to handle the nitrogen and iron.
 Clip the dog where you intend to brand them, then I use a razor to remove the fuzz that is left, "some people just clip as close as possible", then wash the area to be branded with alcohol the higher percentage the better. Fill the cup with nitrogen and stand the iron in it, "do not  allow the nitrogen to splash or get on you it will burn you like fire would" when you first put the iron in it will bubble, boil and gas off some nitrogen, refill as necessary, when frost climbs up the handle 4 or 5 inches and the cup is not boiling the iron is ready to use. Even sedated the dog will squirm some, it is best to have 3 people present, one to hold the front end one the hind legs and one to brand, place it firmly and rock or rotate slightly to insure even contact, 10 seconds is about right for liquid nitrogen, 25 seconds if using dry ice and alcohol "for this application the alcohol needs to be 99%", dry ice and acetone, and or dry ice and gasoline. Be sure the iron does not slip you might not be able to see where it was and could have a blotched brand.
It takes 5-10 minutes for the iron to get ready for the first dog, but after that it will be ready by the time you tie the next dog if using nitrogen, we can brand one about every 2-3 minutes with the method I described.
It takes the dogs about 10 minutes for the sedative to calm them enough to brand easily and will last 30 minutes or so, if left alone they will lay around for an hour or so. Be careful that a sedated dog does not go down where they are pulling on their collar and choke.
I prefer liquid nitrogen because I can readily tell the iron is ready and it is quicker to be ready for dog number two, if you have them all clipped and have help handling them you could sedate 15 or 20 at once and get to them in time.
I do not own a semen tank but have been able to borrow one when I brand. HOPE THAT HELPS YOU OUT AND IS PLAIN ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND IF NOT ASK.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 08:16:49 pm »

P.S. when you first remove the iron there will be a frozen indention "see pics" soon it will disappear then whelp outward then that will disappear, after a few days it will scab that is all normal.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 10:03:02 pm »

I had an iron made and I lucked into a semen tank cheap. We had one dog that was stolen twice out of the woods and both times were able to prove he was ours because of the freeze brand. The irons aren’t too expensive and they last forever.

Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 06:23:59 am »

Pretty clear
Wher is best place to buy brand

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 06:59:38 am »

I have never bought nor shopped for one but have heard there are numerous ones online. I had stainless available and made my own. The fellow that was here yesterday had ordered that 3G for 85 dollars.
Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 07:17:18 am »

Pittsburghfoundry.com

I ordered two brands back in November. They were very helpful and fast with getting the brand to you.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Teaspoon
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 07:20:31 am »

Sorry I misspelled the site, there is no "h" in pittsburg...

Pittsburgfoundry.com

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2022, 01:03:38 pm »

Those came out great, I’ve been wanting to do the same thing for a while.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2022, 02:58:44 pm »

Pittsburgh foundry is who made mine to they was real easy to deal with and pretty quick

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2022, 06:40:43 pm »

Clue, Looks great. What are the dimensions of your brand. Post a picture of it.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2022, 07:03:47 pm »

It fits in a 2 1/2 inch square.

On a dog standing up

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2022, 07:23:31 pm »

Looking at my iron from the back side the corners are tight, I opened the corners up on the front with a rotary bit. You can see the difference in the imprint on the dog and the back of the iron.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: