April 19, 2024, 01:57:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunting Out Of A Buggy  (Read 884 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2022, 09:46:16 am »

Hey fellas, I know I there has been discussion on this topic before but it’s been a little while so I figured I’d start up a new one. I just finally got a buggy this year and have really enjoyed hunting out of it. I would love to do some rigging but haven’t had much luck with it yet, mainly due to the properties and where the pigs are. My dogs will rig from a boat so I feel sure they’ll rig from the buggy if the opportunity presents itself. I have mainly been casting or letting the dogs hunt in front of the buggy.

For those of you that are hunting out of a vehicle, what’s your preferred method of hunting and how do you have the best success? When you cast are you casting on sign, on tracks, just in to a block of woods, etc.? Just thought this might be a fun discussion to see how everyone is hunting these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 11:47:04 am »

We hunt however way it takes to find the hogs. In the winter it is mostly out of a boat and we rig or cast.  During the summer we hunt out of side x sides. A lot of places we are track hunting or looking for sign to put on but the dogs will still rig. Some clubs we hunt out of a truck but are still track hunting, rigging or casting. About the only way I do not hunt is walking the dogs. The only way we walk is if we are going to a bay.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 04:52:35 pm »

I rig a few hogs out of buggy but main way we hunt is casting we track hunt some but I really ain't got no track dog i don't road dogs much at all and I ain't walking em no where

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 08:10:39 am »

What kind of range do you guys like to see your dogs hit when you cast them? My dogs are by no means deep casting dogs, my main two dogs I’ve been hunting this year are only going to get out probably 500-600yards unless they hit on something and then they’re rollin out, but I have enjoyed switching it up and doing more casting now that I’ve been able to hunt some properties that have better access with a vehicle. In the past I haven’t really had an option except to walk, but that buggy sure will spoil you haha.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 06:16:42 pm »

I really like em to cast 800-1000 yards and hunt it out and circle back to me if they so get on nothing I will go cast em in another spot kinda hard to put a range on mine some cast about like that and some just want to go till they find something or you go cut em off and pick em up somewhere I want em to hunt from my feet out I don't want em blowing out and not hunting till they get half a mile and terrain plays a part in it to 600 yards is a long way in bad pine plantation but ain't really that far in some good timber

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 09:43:32 pm »

I hunt out of a buggy99% of the time. Citrus orchard, usually I'll run the entire perimeter of a block with dogs loaded up. If they don't rig or come off I'll go through the block if nothing still, I drop em. If there's no hogs they usually come back.....sometimes they make it happen on there own. Been working 2 young dogs solo lately so they been doing a lot of reading. Also working on leaving the box open and let these 2 youngish bale off when they wind 1.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 07:30:52 am »

Rough curs, that is what I have been doing lately, trying to give the dogs an opportunity to rig before casting them.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 07:33:49 am »

NLA, you’re right on the environment having an impact. We hunt some spots that are real thick, 600yds in some of these places will take you a long time to get there. I like to see a dog beat the bushes and get in that thick stuff, idk if it’s heart or determination but there’s a lot of dogs that just won’t do it.

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 11:03:03 am »

I hunt out of a truck and a SxS and I mainly road my dogs but I like rigging the best. I don't have any rig dogs right now though so I am in the process of trying to train some. I also walk hunted for years and for some weird reason I miss it sometimes. But with that being said the older I get the more I appreciate hunting out of a motorized vehicle lol.

How deep you want your dogs to cast or the way you want them to hunt in general I think will be determined by the type of places you hunt, how big they are (acreage), the hog population, how thick it is, the terrain etc. At least it has for me.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 09:53:52 am »

Red nose, how are you going about training to rig?

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 02:38:25 pm »

Red nose, how are you going about training to rig?

Disclaimer: I am no expert and do not claim to be. This has worked for me in the past (coons).

If your dogs already knows what they are hunting and already is catching game it can make things a little easier and faster. Easiest way is to have a rig dog and let that rig dog teach the rest. But if you don't depending on what you are hunting lets say hogs because that is what I assume you want to rig for here is how I would do it.

First you may get lucky and have a natural rig dog, to find out just put them up on the rig where you can see them and start rigging them in the hottest areas sign wise you can and see if they do it on their own. If not you can try this below.

Step 1: Make sure your dog is comfortable riding on the rig.

Step 2: Once they are tie a shoat up and lay a track with it crossing the road and leave it a few yards off the road where you cannot visually see it.

Step 3: Put your dog on the rig and drive slow through where you laid it. Make sure you can see the dog when you are driving through, just because he/she doesn't bark doesn't mean they didn't smell it, there are other indicators dogs use, and you will see them not bark and use these other indicators especially if you are running really silent dogs. They may whine, wiggle, try to jump off etc. So not only will you need to listen but you will need to watch the body language of your dog.

Step 4: If your dog indicates in any way let him/her down and see if they find the shoat if they do praise and pet them up, really let him/her know they are a good dog. Then I would put them up for the day.

I would then do the same thing somewhere else and drive them through again, then if they get it again do the same thing. Once they get this right two times you can probably start trying to rig them for real. Take them somewhere you know there are hogs and see what your dog does, if he/she rigs (indicates) then let them down (don't encourage them or praise them on it till you know it is a hog track for sure) and now that dog will just need reps and you will have yourself a rig dog. Remember encouragement is key when they do something right.

You can get creative with how you lay the tracks and how far off the road you put the shoats (don't put them too far off to begin with), you can also not lay a track just put the shoat back in a thicket or woods and drive by it (make sure you are using the wind). I would try and imitate your most common situation for where you hunt.

Step 5: If your dog doesn't indicate, don't get mad it's okay. Here is the way I handle that; just drive on through a little ways and then turn around and drive through it again. See what happens, if he doesn't indicate again just go home or work on something else don't over do it.

Step 6: Come back another time and try it again.

Keep in mind not all dogs will rig and like everything else in life there are levels to this game so some will be way more natural than others and do things others cannot do.  Also you do not want to over do the track laying stuff, do as little of that as possible, just enough to get the dog indicating and then I like to start the real rigging. Good luck!
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 08:20:14 am »

Red nose, good write up! Once my pups get a little older I’m gonna start them on a few mock hunts so I can compare the pups and just observe they’re natural tendencies. They should be pretty good on the wind so I’m going to see if I can get them rigging before they hit the real woods.

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 08:26:19 am »

Red nose, good write up! Once my pups get a little older I’m gonna start them on a few mock hunts so I can compare the pups and just observe they’re natural tendencies. They should be pretty good on the wind so I’m going to see if I can get them rigging before they hit the real woods.

Good deal bud, with pups it's just about laying a solid foundation in my opinion. Teaching them their name, come, no etc. Then getting them comfortable riding, then getting them baying and so forth. I bet once you lay that foundation and then your pups get a little age on them they will prob rig naturally. Keep us update bud.
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 11:23:15 pm »

Australia, your dog has to want what it is you are trying to get them to rig. If they want it ,it should come easy. Play with  a pig first load the dogs up and hide the pig. Get em on the box and drive into the wind. Like rednose said  with  coons and hounds its a little easier...jmo had God success with coon dogs do it this way
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 12:47:59 pm »

To me range ain’t that important as long as there moving around. The deal to me is if you go then go and stick it out. Don’t go 600 and come back then another dog goes 700 and bays.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: