March 29, 2024, 02:35:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wma and NWR areas in the state of Louisiana  (Read 725 times)
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2022, 12:48:27 pm »

Fellers,, I wanted to find out from the other guys on here that is familiar with the NWR and Wmas in the state of La..  The question is,, where are the freakin hogs at ?  The difference between last yr and this yr as far as the hog population goes is unbelievably noticeable..  So much so,, I dont know if the hands behind the scenes are not sneaking in their invention of poison and not telling the public..  I was raised up hunting by several Wma and Nwr and have leases that border them and I can tell you aint no other explanation for the decline in the hog population is one yr..   Not only the ones that I hunt around ,, but others in the state that I know guys are by are dealing with the same issue..  Just wondering what others are seeing around the state.. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 04:31:34 pm »

The two wma’s I hunt hard during deer season have dropped so dramatically in hog populations it’s eye opening. I’ve thought all year they’ve been trapping but trapping alone doesn’t account for the numbers. I’ve said the same thing about the poison aspect as well.  I know In Tensas they are trapping the heck along with one or two by the house, but trapping isn’t that successful.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 04:47:17 pm »

Hog numbers down everywhere I been this year and everybody I talked to said same thing we didn't have any acorns this year I ain't seen no traps in no wma I been in this year nor I have I found any dead hogs anywhere but numbers are down drastically from years past

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 08:18:39 pm »

Same everywhere. Don't know what has happened

Lets go we burning daylight
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 08:33:04 am »

Poison sounds the part except as mentioned, if that were the case where are the carcasses? I would think poison is going to hit a bunch at once so you would have a pretty good pile of hogs in one spot and I would think a pretty strong odor. I’ve seen similar things happen here and it seemed to be a migration type thing. For one reason or another they pack up and leave. Could be food, water, habitat change, but I would think those places would be because they have so much pressure from dogs. Even non hog dogs running are going to stress them. We have a hog dog under every shade tree around here. I know that those spots that are owned by some jacka$$ get stacked full of hogs because they figure out it’s a safe haven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 08:53:35 am »

I have had the same thoughts and conclusions here in my area. Figured maybe a birth control or poison of sorts was established quietly but haven't saw any evidence nor heard any rumors of that here. I have mentioned the guys with Thermal equipment having reportedly killed a pile of hogs here in the last year, but hog pops. are off 1.5 hrs east of here as well, seems to be too widespread to be Thermals. A real good hog hunter from south Tx. told me he hadn't saw but a very few small pigs and that maybe the bad winter storm last year stressed the hogs into aborting or not cycling, but there has been time enough for that to have passed here. The hogs here have pigs year round and don't really have a "breeding season" which is more common where hogs are tied really hard to the mast crop. I don't really have an idea that fits the entire scenario, but it is certainly a mystery.
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 02:15:01 pm »

195 hogs killed in 48 hours…..doesn’t take long for that to put a dent in a local population.  Helicopters, thermal, boar buster traps, habitat, weather. They are all factors in declining a local population.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 08:11:28 pm »

Lots of hunters...running a knife through every hog..... over time makes a big difference.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 05:28:09 am »

Lots of hunters...running a knife through every hog..... over time makes a big difference.
That's for sure

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 05:36:35 am »

No ethics.
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 06:56:14 am »

Couple years ago I went to Europe. In some countries they had signs around at the parks about leaving food around. They were having an outbreak of African Swine Fever that was spreading through the wild population and killing them. They like the pigs over there and wanted to keep them around!
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 10:02:05 am »

thanks for the info fellers,,,   I was beginning to wonder if I had trained these dogs too good..LOL..   

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 10:31:08 am »

Lol highwater that might just be the other part of the problem.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 02:04:45 pm »

DFW area has hogs like normal this year ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: