April 20, 2024, 01:17:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You culling SOBs  (Read 895 times)
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2022, 06:04:52 pm »

I guess my ad for one of my leopard pups ruffled some feathers. Got this message today from a really kind super cool guy that seems just like the type of person I want to do dog deals with. I know there’s a few more of you sorry suckers out here.
My response was very PG. I just can’t for the life of me understand, what did you get out of sending me this message? And what did you intend to accomplish? My opinion has changed about nothing but some stranger on a forum.

when i cull a dog. I know the end. I know it was humane and they lived a good life. Didn’t go somewhere to be neglected or mistreated or not taken care of in some other situation.

I breed dogs for one reason, TO WORK. they don’t “work”. They don’t get to “dog”.

I’m less worried about letting people know you don’t believe in culling a dog. Rather, that your the type of person to send an unsolicited profane message to a stranger because his post on a forum hurt your feelings, and you didn’t agree with him.

I will never understand the general populations inability to mind their own business.

I have one message for you desertdog :

“Better worry about your own sins son, cause god ain’t going to ask you about mine.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 07:56:08 pm »

Not sure why he is upset about your culling, what I don't get for the life of me is how does someone let their phone battery get that Low?!?! Evil
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 05:20:28 am »

What’s between y’all is between y’all, but personally I feel it’s  something that can help with legislation that doesn’t work in our favor when spoken of publicly.

It’s not a practice I partake in, but to each his own. I’m not going to slam anyone for it.

Probably something I’d keep to myself.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 08:31:17 am »

I don’t much post about it on social media or things that are open for public viewing, as people that don’t work dogs typically don’t understand it and can’t fathom culling a dog. At the end of the day if you’re breeding your own dogs and you want to always work towards a better product, there will be a lot of dogs that can’t cut the mustard. Culling comes with the territory. I think part of being ethical when you breed a litter is taking responsibility for that litter. On the other side of that, I think that passing on a subpar dog is to the detriment of our dogs and is why the ratio of culls to good dogs is so high. In an ideal world I’d love to be able to have every dog that can’t make the cut get adopted and in a home with somebody, but if you’re handling more than a couple of dogs, that’s not very realistic. Add in that some dogs aren’t fit for an average pet home.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 08:48:40 am »

No matter the method, rehoming or whatever, somebody isn’t going to agree or approve. I definitely have my own opinion but I try to keep it to myself. As Willie said, if ya mind your business then you won’t be minding mine! I have preached and chewed butt and lectured so many of these young hunters about posts they make. Sometimes it isn’t even the pictures but the gory story that they paint in the minds of people that read it. I’ve tried telling them it isn’t cool or macho. All it is ammo for the enemy. This very issue is why there is basically no more greyhound racing. They have fought this for the longest and look who won. I believe once I let someone have a dog that it is up to them from that point on to make good ethical decisions on behalf of the animal. So I figure it’s up to me to only allow a like minded individual to have my dogs.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 01:53:51 pm »

My add that I just put up giving away 8 malinois/cur pups for free got allot of attention as well, several people said give them to a shelter or charge 150$ bc free pups go as bait dogs to pit fighters. I basically said the families that came and picked them up, got their shot and worming history with their kids are probably not fighting dogs if I had to bet,  and how high of a % of people in this nice suburb are into fighting dogs lol?
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 08:34:50 pm »

No matter the method, rehoming or whatever, somebody isn’t going to agree or approve. I definitely have my own opinion but I try to keep it to myself. As Willie said, if ya mind your business then you won’t be minding mine! I have preached and chewed butt and lectured so many of these young hunters about posts they make. Sometimes it isn’t even the pictures but the gory story that they paint in the minds of people that read it. I’ve tried telling them it isn’t cool or macho. All it is ammo for the enemy. This very issue is why there is basically no more greyhound racing. They have fought this for the longest and look who won. I believe once I let someone have a dog that it is up to them from that point on to make good ethical decisions on behalf of the animal. So I figure it’s up to me to only allow a like minded individual to have my dogs.

Thomas, you said it with the last statement. My job to know who is taking possession of my dogs. Lots of folks will tell on themselves given the chance.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 10:41:49 am »

Let me first just say I am not here to tell anyone what to do with their dog/s.

I will share what my original mentor who had one of the best lines of big game dogs I have ever seen still to this day, and produced quality consistently told me when I asked him how he got to that point. He said "hunt hard and cull harder". He then went on to tell me if you are going to make a breeding for WORKING dogs and you want have a successful line it's a commitment to the dogs, to the people who you share your dogs with, and to your line of dogs. He said what he meant by that is; with that commitment you have to be willing to cull dogs not up to your standard and he told me if I was not willing to do that then I should just stick to buying or being given my hunting dogs and let men who were committed do the breeding. Then he said the stricter you stick to your standards the better and more consistent your line will become and he said he always judged a breeder by their consistency not by the one off super stars or such.

Now with that said I am not saying that is the only way to do it, or if he is right or wrong that is just what he believed. Just some thoughts for people who are wanting their own line of dogs to think about on this subject.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 10:51:13 am »

Well put Rednose. It seems that all the great dog men have had at least two traits in common. The eye for a good dog, and the willingness to cull anything below their standard.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 12:51:33 pm »

That’s exactly true IN MY OPINION Rednose.  This could get to be a really deep conversation but it would be off course of the original subject. At the end of the day, there POS’s in every facet of life. No law or opinion of others will EVER change that because a POS is just that and has absolutely no respect for anything or anybody. In fact my faith in humanity is at an all time low. We as people seem to feel extremely entitled be it in the form of things we feel are owed us or the right to condemn another out of a difference of opinion. The “there is only one way” mentality seems to be an extremely prominent state of mind.  Are there wrongs that exist? Absolutely, but there boundaries that people should respect, agree or disagree and move on. MOST hunters that have been doing it for any length of time consistently have a love and respect for the animals and nature. Fad hunters, the in it today and out tomorrow only to be back at it in a short period, are usually the ones that worry me most about their respect and ethics. If hunting were outlawed, the only ones hurt would be the constants. The other type would give a simple shrug and move on to something different only to contaminate and ruin that. I’m not saying that an ultimate cull is good or bad. I will say that I have seen more than a few animals dumped on the road and left to starve or resort to killing livestock, be it calves, goats, chickens, etc. I personally think that is the worst cruelty an individual can inflict on another being of any kind. I have seen it with cats and yard dogs as much or more than I’ve seen it with hunting dogs. There are many options and circumstance definitely plays a role in my mind as to the proper method.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 01:08:00 pm »

You hit the nail on the head Thomas!

desertdog1
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 09:48:10 am »

To "cull" simply means to remove from the breeding program...It doesn't mean you have to kill the dog....
Some guys just don't give a crap about the dogs, they veiw them as "tools".
and I stand by my original analysis of you...
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 11:16:33 am »

To "cull" simply means to remove from the breeding program...It doesn't mean you have to kill the dog....
Some guys just don't give a crap about the dogs, they veiw them as "tools".
and I stand by my original analysis of you...

Well when they’re working dogs, they can be family and tools. But they gotta earn the right to eat my feed by doing their job. If they don’t do their job, no sense is giving a cull to someone else.
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 06:03:54 pm »

Nothing wrong with culling sorry dogs. With that said though, in my opinion it needs to be kept off public sites. Some stuff needs to be kept to yourself.
I know for a fact the wrong people figure out you doing it the law will arrest you for it.

Lets go we burning daylight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: