April 24, 2024, 09:44:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Ranger  (Read 813 times)
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2022, 07:21:19 am »

Made a round yesterday afternoon and caught 4 hogs, dogs worked good. Ended on a sad note, lost my Ranger dog. Him and another dog went back to a dead pig while we were still hunting and they got in to a fight, I reckon over the pig. It’s out of character for both dogs so I’m not sure what sparked it. He was in shock when I got him and I got him home, did everything I could to get bleeding stopped and ran him on an IV but he died between midnight and 3am. I had him at the foot of the couch and I woke up to check on him and he was gone.

Talk about a hard loss. Born and raised on my yard, he wasn’t quite 2 years old yet and was just one of those dogs that had it. He looked good in any company and he would find a hog for sure. By far the best dog that’s currently on my yard, and the best young dog I’ve owned or hunted around. I was really hoping to start my next set of pups with him, but as Murphy’s law goes, that’s not happening now. Back to square one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 08:19:20 am »

Dang I hate that for you bud. He was sure enough a nice looking dog and sounded nice in your hunt stories.

Bred4DaGame
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 08:29:54 am »

Dang sad bro hope ah ya can replace the lose remember em is all u can do at this point try raise another my condolences

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 08:36:06 am »

Thank you Thomas. He just had a knack for making it look easy solo, he hunted like a 3-4 year ole dog and if he rolled out on a pig he was gonna make sure you were looking at it before he was done.

B4DG, thanks for the kind words. He’s going to be a hard one to replace. I have 2 sets of puppies right now that are well bred. One pair I bred, the other pair are off of Mr. Larry Parker’s yard. I hope to start them in 8-10 months, but as of now don’t have a solid lead dog to run with them. If I can’t get something going good by then I guess it’s back to starting pups from scratch.

cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 09:50:18 am »

Hate to hear it......was it a rcd he fought with?

I'd make sure the other dog didn't do it again also!

That sucks, good luck with your pups?

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 10:17:28 am »

Cajun, no it was just one of my buddies older hunting dogs. Never seen that dog be aggressive and they’ve hunted together quite a few times so I’m not sure how it sparked off. All I can figure is they both tried to eat on the pig because my buddy had cut out the back straps. He really wasn’t banged up all that bad, he just had some punctures on his legs and had a few on the inner leg and up in his armpit and I was having a hard time getting the bleeding stopped. He was in a vest so all of his vitals and throat were untouched. They had been over at that pig for about 45 minutes while we dragged a sow back to the buggy. Ranger wouldn’t come out when I was calling and toning him so I walked in and found him laying on his side in shock, I guess he just bled too much. Just a crappy situation. I can’t blame the other dog because nobody was around to see what started it all and neither of those dogs start problems with other dogs.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 11:18:48 am »

Hate to hear that

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Muddy-N-Bloody
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 12:29:33 pm »

Tuff luck
Maybe it be something to learn from to -
Dogs staying - going back to- won’t leave - etc etc-at  or on a dead or caught hog for any length of time is going backwards in my opinion - I stay glued to my gps at all times and know about what dogs are doing - take it for what it worth but may save you in the future
You probably know this but just friendly advice

Thank God for Mama and Daddy and for the whoopings I got that I needed
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 12:38:23 pm »

Sure sorry to hear this. Makes you sick to lose a good one.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 02:24:36 pm »

Pretty serious fight to end like that. Other dog would be gone from my hunting circle.  Was he crossed with any bulldog?
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 03:11:05 pm »

Muddy, you’re right. I’ve been kicking myself for it. Ranger used to be bad about sitting on a dead pig and for a while now he has been good about leaving it once I do. They had went out and started hunting and came back to that pig after 20 minutes or so. We knew they were on it but we were trying to get a tied sow in the buggy before going back to get them and keep hunting. Lesson learned is I won’t wait before going to get them off of one if they go back.

Jsh, no it wasn’t a bulldog cross. Just a big crossed up cur dog. It actually didn’t look very serious based off the bites, it looks like they were just in a real bad spot. The ones up around his armpit wouldn’t quit bleeding. I thought I had it stopped several times and then it bled through the dressings. My buddy felt horrible about it but I can’t just blame that dog outright, for all I know my dog was the one that started it. My buddys dog had already left the area when I went in to get Ranger. I think they separated and then the bleeding got the better of Ranger. The way he was laying down looked like he had been walking and just fell over on his side. I won’t run any of my dogs around that other dog again just to be cautious. Just a bad situation and no real certainty on what happened. We were about 700 yards away when they went back to that pig and never heard anything from them.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 03:12:10 pm »

Cajun, yes it does. I feel like I’ve been punched in the gut over this one. It could have happened to any other dog on my yard and I would have been upset about it but not like this one.

Bred4DaGame
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2022, 03:31:49 pm »

Cur dog sure got good bite enuff to bleed one out in 24 hours accident can’t prevent some times

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2022, 08:46:12 pm »

Sorry for your loss Asteus

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 07:36:06 am »

Sorry for your loss Asteus
Thank you buddy, seems like everyone has been losing dogs here recently.

The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 08:10:21 am »

That sure is a bad way to lose one, especially since he was probably the best find dog you've had. Sorry to hear it. Hindsight is 20/20 but a couple of bumps with the electricity rather than just a tone once you saw him back to the dead hog may have saved his life.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 09:51:20 am »

Old man, you’re right. I can’t help but second guess a lot of things about the way it unfolded and how I could have potentially prevented it. It’s a huge blow to my yard but an even bigger blow to my upcoming pups that I planned to train using him. My other dogs have some bad habits and traits that I don’t want my pups exposed to. I reckon I’m in the market for a finished or good going dog now, something that I can use to start my pups with in 8-10 months. If I can’t find anything by that time I’ll have to start them from scratch by themselves.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 06:45:56 am »

Sorry to hear that

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: