April 15, 2024, 11:13:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pup  (Read 1589 times)
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2022, 08:08:44 am »

Clue, They were in the barn on the right in that kennel.

T dog, Some of the main differences were the Weems were much more hyper then the Swampland. Also the Weems were more streamline built with the Swampland dogs had more muscle. Still get both out of the same litter. Ability and speedwise they were about the same. Two of the main dogs I bred around was a Black with brindle legs female Blackie (Weems bred) and Trapper (mostly Swampland). Both dogs claim to fame were the ability to trail tracks that other dogs could not smell and run away from other dogs. They just had that all day stamina where a lot of dogs are fast for about three hours, these dogs could maintain that topend speed all day. I'll see about  digging up some pics and posting them in the comments.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 03:07:57 pm »

That’s awesome. Sounds like those two should’ve been the focal point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2022, 08:26:15 pm »

Black withbrindle trim is Blackie (Weems Bred). Trapper (Curley tail-mostly Swampland breeding)

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2022, 09:35:59 pm »

Those are both really nice looking dogs. I’ve raised a couple (Country and Briar)  out of my dogs that could’ve been Blackie’s pups or siblings.

Do you prefer the type of one or the other more?

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2022, 06:14:14 am »

I prefer the laid back mentality. You never knew Trapper was on the yard. Quiet, never said a word but was all business once you turned him loose. I dont know how many volts I have sent threw Blackie over the years trying to shut her up. I really dont think she was a very smart dog, just so hyper and ran a chain day and night but boy could she coldtrail and once jumped very few dogs could stay with her.
  Was looking for better pics. of her but most of them she is all cut up. In that pic. she had two broken ribs on the side you see and the other side she had a rib bit off her spine. Bear really did a number on her.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2022, 07:31:18 am »

I’m like you, I would have probably picked trapper between the two for the same reason. She sounds like she was all drive.

Just curious, but does one or the other of them give more mouth on track than the other? I know your dogs usually give mouth on track, I just wondered if their different natures were reflected when then they were trailing. I know with my dogs, sometimes they will give some mouth when a hog breaks. It’s usually a dog that is one of two things, either higher strung/more excitable or a dog that is maybe not quite as fast on track. Usually 150 yards is about as far as they’ll do it or if they can see the hog but just can’t get up on it to stop it.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2022, 07:12:21 am »

Cajun,

Do you put more emphasis on breeding around your males or females?

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2022, 08:21:55 am »

T-dog, They were both open cold trailing and really gave a lot of mouth when jumped. That being said I did not raise Blackie but got her when she was about a year old. all my Plotts if you do not start on them early, you will have a bunch of barking fools. people are amazed at how quiet my dogs are when they come over and ask how I keep them quiet. simple answer is I just do not put up with it.

Austesus, Not really. What I strive for is nose and drive and of course speed and more important is dogs that can get it done by there selves.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2022, 09:18:35 am »

more important is dogs that can get it done by there selves.

I like to hear that.....that is the most important part. Better dogs not more dogs! lol
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2022, 09:19:39 am »

Sharp looking pup Mike!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2022, 12:54:30 pm »

That’s real sound breeding strategy.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2022, 08:51:29 am »

Thanks for the reply Cajun. Are you typically breeding around one top dog until you get another one that you want to breed around, or do you just keep making crosses between your family of dogs to keep progressing the line forward? Not sure if that is worded how I’m thinking in my head… but I know some guys will focus their line around a top notch dog until they produce another dog that they decide to focus around, and they continue that cycle going down the line. And it seems like some guys will keep it a little looser and instead of focusing on one individual dog they’re focused more on the family as a whole and they cross the slightly distant family members (ie. Cousins, uncle, aunt, etc.) I can see some theoretical pros and cons to each way, just curious what your methods are if that makes any sense?

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2022, 09:36:58 pm »

I am basicly just breeding to the best in a family of dogs and when I fill like some traits are lacking then I will try to find a dog that will reproduce it. Truth is, everyone including myself wants a litter of superstars but if you can produce a 75% litter of good useable dogs you are doing good. I am pretty hard on dogs and can always find something wrong with one. There are no perfect dogs out there and when you are satisfied with what you have, your breeding program will go downhill from there. jmo 

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2022, 07:22:33 am »

Thanks Cajun, I like the mindset about producing good dogs and not superstars. If I can ever get my yard to where I want it to be, that’s my goal. Not attempting to produce a freak superstar, but attempting to keep myself in good dogs that will make me proud consistently with their performance no matter what company they’re in.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2022, 09:11:28 pm »

. I am pretty hard on dogs and can always find something wrong with one. There are no perfect dogs out there and when you are satisfied with what you have, your breeding program will go downhill from there. jmo .   

That is the truth there

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: