March 29, 2024, 04:41:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick hunt in the soon to be Sahara  (Read 1033 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2022, 12:55:39 pm »

Myself, the nephew, and or buddy Kohl made a quick round this morning. Of course it’s hot right now. Everyday is about 104 degrees or more with the heat index being 116 and more. It’s still over 100 at 7:30 pm most days. To say it’s dry is an understatement. Most of the creeks are dry and stock ponds are drying up quick. Lots of people are hauling water to their cattle and the grass is crunchy and brown. We turned out more dogs than usual just because we can’t hint long enough to rotate them. We normally have about 3-4 but today we had seven. I decided to cast near a pond that is tucked in up against a set of woods. The dogs (all family), split up into 3 groups and were combing the woods. Zeke (nephew’s dog), Outlaw (mine), Uno (Kohl’s and father of the 3 brothers Outlaw, Ranger, Timber) were about 500 yds west. Timber (Kohl’s) was about 200 north, and Ava (mine full sister to Ken and half sister to Outlaw, Timber, and Ranger), Ken (kohl’s), Ranger (nephews) all went East. Timber started baying and Outlaw went to him. About 20 seconds later, Ava, Ken, and Ranger were bayed at 700 north, so a split bay a little over 400 yards apart. About the same time both bays broke and they went the exact same direction. All the dogs except Uno got together down in the bottom where I’m sure the hogs both crossed. At this point the dogs all got split up and grouped differently. Zeke and Ranger were about 400 from where had moved around to. Uno was .6 west and Ava and Timber were over a mile and those two were bayed but separately a couple hundred yards apart. Since nobody else was bayed and those two were getting close to the highway, we drove around to them. The hogs kept on breaking bay when we got around there so we finally picked the two of them up so they didn’t end up crossing the highway. Zeke and Ranger had come bayed back where we left them and Outlaw and Uno had made it to them. They were telling him what he was and wasn’t gonna do and he was telling what he wasn’t going to do right back. We could hear them from a mile away lol. It sounded really good. By the time we got back over there they had moved about 100 yards or so. When we got in there, outlaw was hurt pretty bad. I was trying to look and decide which way to send the catch dog ( JJ ) in because it’s a pretty bad thicket. He’s green but making a real nice dog. My nephew got him from Ole Britt. Anyway, while I’m trying to figure this out, the hog (250ish)
rushes two dogs and turns thinking he was fixing to get nailed from behind. It was too thick though and the dogs had to work to get through to him from their side. When he realized it, he turned and deliberately ran down a dog this literally put him a few feet from me. The other dogs had gotten through and they were pulling hair getting him off of that dog and then ole JJ swallowed an ear. I legged him and we had him dead pretty quick. Outlaw was the most seriously injured but a couple others had some battle scars too. A whole lot happened to catch one hog but we got him and he won’t cut another. At the end of the day I was proud of the dogs and the effort they gave. They worked hard in terrible conditions and that’s all I can ask for. There definitely things I would do differently myself but it is what it is I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 01:20:18 pm »

yeah yall worked for that one man..  My hats off to yall for braving the weather..  way outta my league rite now..  dont want no part of it  LOL... Good hog and hope the dogs heals up quick for you ..

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 01:47:55 pm »

Good hunt per the conditions, and great dog work. A fellow has to get done and out early this time of year.   I went a couple of days ago and was all caught up and headed home by 11:00 and the dogs were not dangerously hot but extra warm. Unless I hit a lick real early I don't even try for another strike.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 02:38:12 pm »

Good dog work considering the weather.  Real good hog and hope the dogs heal up ok. I have been laying low. Overheated my Hank dog twice so far and Showtime once. We just now started to get some badly needed rain.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 03:25:20 pm »

I worry about dogs overheating every time I turn them loose this time of year.  Watching these dogs work is just amazing sometimes. I told the guys once this morning when we over trying to catch Ava and Timber’s hogs to listen to the brush. The hog ran within a few yards of us and we could here it of course breaking brush and really trying to leave. He was probably 15-20 yards ahead of the dogs but they were breaking brush harder and faster than the hog. I said listen to that. Those dogs aren’t tip toeing though there. They are driving that track hard and putting some pressure on that hog to either turn and fight or run harder. Either way, 9-10 times neither choice ends in the hogs favor. If he stops he gets caught and if he runs harder we get his wind and he makes a mistake. Today was that 1 out of ten for the hog. Temperature and location saved it but there will be another day for sure. When caught those two dogs up we were literally brushing and pulling briar thorns out of their eye lids and the rest of their head. I LOVE THAT KIND OF WANT TO!

Y’all are right about dumping and getting it done early or going to the house. That’s my same thought. Not going at all has been the box I’ve checked a couple times lately too.

Cajun I hope you dogs get healed up and over the overheating. Sometimes it takes a while and sometimes they don’t ever.

I don’t know what precautions anyone else is taking but one thing I’ve started doing is feeding soaked feed. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to feeding dry kibble. Once in a while maybe but not often. I feed half of the amount I was feeding by soaking it. The dogs love it. They look good. They have less stool. They get more water. And I buy less feed.  I feed at dark or after because of the temperature outside. So the feeding before a hunt I feed it just a little soupier and I give them a tad bit more. It seems to be working well so I’m not gonna fix something that isn’t broke. I knew an old pit bull man that told me once that dogs NEVER drink enough water. He carried 2 buckets when he fed. Each dog got a cup of feed and a cup of water in the same bowl and when we came back by them, every drop of both was gone out of every bowl. I feed out of a 3 gal bucket. For 7 grown dogs it takes three scoops from my red paint cup soaked to feed all 7. The scoop is about equivalent to a pound coffee can. Those 7 dogs include 2 big catch dogs. So if those 3 scoops fill the bucket 1/3 of the way full, then I fill it to the 2/3 - 3/4 full mark with hot water. It only takes a couple hours to soak up completely. I like to soak it in the morning and leave it inside though so that it is cool when they eat it. When it gets cold next week I’ll feed it to them warm.

WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 08:06:49 pm »

Good hunt T, you putting the nephew that far back so he don't look so big? Lol
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 08:23:51 pm »

Nice hunt, hog, and dog work T Dog. Hope Outlaw makes a full recovery.
-
I take the same approach that you guys do this time of year. I soak my feed year round and cut them way back in the summer.
-
I try to get them out at least once a week. Up at 4AM, dogs loaded & leaving by 5AM, on the ground by 6AM & picked up NLT 8:30 or 9:00AM. I try to hunt around water (hogs are there anyway) and we get 1 shot in hogs. We get it done or we go home. I have really put alot of time getting a handle on my dogs so I can call/tone them off a busted bay. Very important for catch dogs! In my experience, busted bays & hard going dogs with no handle are where overheating problems occur.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 08:47:46 pm »

Sounds like pretty good hunt for the heat

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 10:46:43 pm »

Thanks guys. Shot gun I agree that handle is important. That tone on the garmin is a very valuable tool in my opinion. WOW I think the nephew is gonna look big from
near or far lol.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 09:40:15 am »

Great dog work as always Thomas. This heat hasn’t been as bad as yours but has been wearing me down. We were holding high 90’s for a while. I’ve got a bunch of corn I’ve been hunting every other day or so, some of the fields are 20ft from the river so it’s hell trying to keep the hogs out. It takes almost constant pressure and when they come in they hit it hard and then slip back across the river to where they don’t get much pressure. The heat the past few months has had me starting at 10ish pm and even then it’s hot. We’ve had a bunch of nonstop rain the past 3-4 weeks and some flooding so it’s cooled down but been humid and a mud fest.

In the heat I try to listen to the dogs. If they’re starting to look run down I will pick them up and call it a night, even if I’m not really ready to quit. From my experience if you keep pushing them when they’re hot they don’t perform well anyways. I used to soak my feed and haven’t in a while, I quit with the raw diet a while back and then went back to dry kibble for convenience, but seeing this, I will start soaking feed again. It worked great and I’ve really just forget about it.

Killed my first Barr hog a few weeks ago, it took me and my buddy about 30 minutes to get him from the ground up in to the ranger bed hahaha. Talk about a muddy mess though, caught in a cornfield that was sloppy red clay mud

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 10:37:23 am »

That's a good hog Austesus, I bet he was slippery.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 11:53:05 am »

He was actually clean when we killed him, we had been getting rain on and off while we were hunting. It was the dragging him out of the corn part that made a slippery mess hahaha

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 02:19:11 pm »

That is a good hog. I wish we had some rain here. Hell I wish we had mud lol.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 07:48:21 am »

Thomas, maybe the rain is moving your way, it seems to have left out of here

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 12:09:56 pm »

Man I wish. Saw a guy raking hay the other day. This spot would normally yield 20+ round bales and if he’s lucky he might get 3-4 and even then it’s just dead grass. All the nutrients are long gone. People are desperate and more so every day. It’s nothing to see 8-10 loads of round bales come through town a day. They gotta cut their herds way down  and ponds are fenced off to keep cattle from getting bogged down in mud. It’s bad right now.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 02:33:20 pm »

I hope the tides turn and y’all get some good rains to bring the life back. I’m sure that is rough, especially this time of year where we are hitting peak temps.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 01:42:34 pm »

we need rain around here as well

nice fat hog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: