March 28, 2024, 06:58:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheating but fun  (Read 479 times)
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2022, 01:49:44 pm »

So my buddy got a 1 thermal and 1 night vision, scanning crops is amazing can easily see a mile. Once we spotted hogs drove the truck to a quarter to half mile down wind drop tailgate til dogs bayed, spotted 2 groups caught 3 nice sows

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 02:28:29 pm »

One thing Im going to try w/ the next pup/s I start is to copy my other buddys training that has worked out real well with his 2 18 mo old BMC's I would call finished now. And I think the night vision will really help (this past weekend was the first time we have ever used it) so just my theory.

He does not walk hunt his dogs, he drops tail gate sits on it drinking beer if they dont role off in a few minutes he loads them back up, drives somewhere else and repeats and his 2 males cast hunt beautifully more often than not. Id imagine dropping them within a half mile of hogs bc of night vision would be good for a young dog to know when the tail gate drops its allot more fun rolling off than it is to get put back in the truck...
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 05:44:14 am »

Good hunt bud. Nothing wrong with using tools & resources available to set the dogs up. It would beat the hell out of draggin hogs around on mock hunts or going to the bay pen. I would do it in a heartbeat if I had more crop land to hunt.
-
I’ve seen a lot of bay dogs struggle to get hogs bayed in crop hunting. I’ve had success stalking in close with RCD’s, catching a couple, then dropping bay dogs on the exit tracks and baying a couple more.
-
Sounds like your friend has a nice set of cast dogs. I’m headed that direction myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 08:35:07 am »

Looks like fun. You know the old saying “if ya ain’t cheatin ya trying” lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 12:54:44 pm »

Our dogs defiantly have trouble getting hogs to bay in the open crops, we usually catch the size of hogs the 4 curs will catch out on, and using my malinois we cut him loose from way far out typically 2-800 yards, then stagger a second fresh cd in closer range to help him, despite being 3 legged he still gets their fast and puts the breaks on them but as hot as he gets using him like that I wouldnt trust him on a bad one without the dogo or a 2nd cd coming in behind him fresh to help hold...
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 05:45:49 pm »

Good hog. Glad you are still able to hunt your Mainois.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: