March 28, 2024, 09:12:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short Stout Boar  (Read 828 times)
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2022, 02:14:28 pm »

Been hunting my bay dogs solo and refining a few things on them lately. Got them both operating on their own pretty good. I decided to pack hunt this morning. Sent Rousty & Click up a creek that’s the only water on the place. They blew up bayed almost immediately. Garmin said 193 yards. I started vesting the catch dogs and thoroughly enjoying hearing both dogs bay. About half way through the second vesting, I noticed my 2 dog bay had dwindled to a 1 dog bay. Click wasn’t baying and showed to be coming back in. Rousty was really hammering now. Headed to him and met Click half way there. He had taken a pretty good hit. Got 30 yards out and sent Jet & Carlos to the bay. Jet over ran it but Carlos hooked a right and hit the hog. The fight was on! Rousty, Carlos, and the hog tumbled down the creek bank. Both dogs came off during the tussel but Jet was there to hammer the hog as soon as he gathered up and turned to run. Carlos covered the other ear quickly while both bay dogs piled on. It was close up, live action to watch!
-
Got the hog dispatched and both CDs unvested. Grabbed Click, got him stabilized and to the vet. He should be fine with some R & R.
-
Much respect for this rank little boar hog. He made sure we felt him while he went out on his shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Rough curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 08:53:49 am »

Nice hog
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 09:19:59 am »

Those hogs are usually the most destructive it seems like. I like to hear that you’ve been solo hunting your dogs. I don’t think many do that anymore, I haven’t in a while. I sure need to though. It sure makes them better dogs.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 01:10:13 pm »

Yes sir them hogs there will put you out of business for sure lot of people will tell you that you can't take one dog and bay hogs I have caught a pile of big hogs with one cur dog and a bulldog if I can't take one dog and go bay a hog chances are they will not be eating my feed you don't need more dogs to go bay hogs you need quality not quantity to bay hogs like they are supposed to and keep em there till you get there good hog sounds like your dogs been working for you

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 02:07:26 pm »

Your exactly right NLA. I feel the same way.

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 05:09:47 pm »

those can be hard to kill, fast lil boars
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 05:42:07 pm »

Good hog Shotgun. Like others have said, some of those lighter boars can sure do some damage to the dogs. Hope yours heals up ok.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 07:10:47 pm »

Thanks fellas. Appreciate it.
-
TDog, NLA - I see it the same way y’all do. I like huntin a dog alone. You learn a lot about them this way. It requires some patience but it does make them better if you commit to it. Its not uncommon for a young dog to quit a bay and come out to you. Don’t get mad. Be patient, walk em back in and send em back after them. You g dogs getting singled out can also get intimidated by sounders. Ease in to them and encourage them.
-
It’s very challenging for the catch dog if the dog bays loose and only barks sporadically. To consistently catch educated hogs this way you need a bay dog that really gives alot of mouth along with an athletic catch dog. It probably works best if the bay dog likes to catch when the cd arrives.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 07:28:43 pm »

I agree sometimes it's hard on bulldog to go to loose baying dog I like a bulldog that is hunting for the hog when you send him if they got much since and you hunt em with loose dogs all the time they will learn to slow down start hunting for the hog this young male I started late this year was almost like that from the start he goes up in briar patch and looks for the hog and he is real accurate especially for just being started

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 11:00:25 am »

That’s the style of bulldog I like NLA. Y’all are right about the confidence of young dogs. It’s everything and determines wether or not they are hog dogs or me too dogs. I’ve seen a lot of people get frustrated with young dogs because they weren’t striking very many hogs. I always tell them the same thing. If that  one year old or 16-18 month old dog is finding hogs ahead of your 2 1/2 year old and older dogs, then you need to consider shipping the older dogs. A young dog that hustles is going to strike first every now and then and they may bay their own hogs after a sounder breaks up and all, but if your older dogs are up to snuff, that young dog isn’t supposed to locate first. It’s your job to put that young dog in a position so that they can strike first. Give them the chance to learn something instead a chance to follow the old dogs or go honor a bay. That’s my opinion anyway.

Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 03:54:28 pm »

Sounds like a nice bulldog NLA. I’ve had good success with some stag/bulldog crosses using the 1 bay dog method. They were first shot accurate if the hog stood. If not, they ran them down on the break a high % of the time. 2 of the 3 I’ve hunted were straight ear dogs that were lock, drop, or die trying even if sounders rallied on them. I’ve also seen some AB’s & Dogos that were big & athletic that could do it consistently. Haven’t gotten the same results with small pits. I really like the Athletic CDs with first shot accuracy.
-
TDog you are 100% correct about giving prospects a chance to shine & grow. Dogs are pack animals by nature. They will settle into “ help dog” mode behind the lead dog. A lot of us have to wait for something bad to happen to our lead dog before we realize the others are capable. I think one has to evolve past being catch crazy in order to be willing to really tune & refine individuals in their line up.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 04:34:35 pm »

That is such a true assessment. We have to decide what’s most important, good dogs any time you need them or catching hogs
right now.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 11:32:31 am »

Good story man, sounds like that work has been paying off for you. I hope the click dog makes a full recovery for you. Those smaller boars sure can do some damage, and they can do it quick and disappear it seems like.

Some good knowledge on these comments too. I’ve found that hunting one good strike dog at a time is more enjoyable to me. It’s easier to focus on them and learn/observe all of their little quirks and mannerisms, and it sure is a lot easier to get dogs collected up when you’re ready to go or trying to move spots. I think the additional time spent with the single dog helps them out a lot.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: