March 29, 2024, 03:07:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greyhound/Greybulls  (Read 2481 times)
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2022, 04:21:22 pm »

Who all has messed with greyhound, greyhound/pit, or greyhound/anything crosses for hogs? I came into owning a young gyp 3/4 grey 1/4 pit a few months ago. She’s right around a year old and we just got her started this past week. She’s not catching, but she is certainly catchy and is focused on the head end. Temperament and mentality wise she is far and away different from any bulldog or cur dog I’ve messed with.

Interested in any pics, opinions, stories, advice, suggestions, criticism you may have. She is by far the first of anything like her I have been around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 09:06:57 pm »

Slim I had a buddy that some half and half cur and greyhound. They were certainly fast and definitely good watching in th open fields after crops were harvested. They were thin skinned like the greyhound though. It didn’t take a lot to make it look like they ran into a buzz saw.  Needless to say they didn’t last very long. They are tougher than they were durable or smart. I would think what you have would be a good starting point for raising some well made and fast catch dogs. I know of some people that have done the pit/greyhound cross a good bit. They all say the same thing, it takes a while to get them right because the prepotency of the greyhound genetics. The Australians use it quite a bit, or have in the past. There’s a gentleman over there named Rod Barker that has developed a family of dogs he calls “Bullzons”. They are phenomenal looking dogs. He used greyhound to help create them.

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 05:46:07 am »

Owned and tinkered with the cross for just over ten years now. Use a staghound over a straight greyhound. Bigger framed and way more durable. I have halfbreeds - stag/AB and 1/4 stag/3/4 AB crosses. Stag gene is strong in my experience. Both have their uses. All can find their own on a fresh track. You have watch the heat as they will heat up fast. In the warmer months and humidity I carry a few and rotate them.

Can count on one hand the fights I’ve had as well.
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 05:52:15 am »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 06:09:24 am »

jsh do you cross them a particular way like the stag male to AB female or just the opposite or does it matter in your opinion? What size dogs are you getting? I remember those two you posted the pictures of. They made real nice looking dogs.

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 06:17:58 am »

First cross was male Stag to female AB. From there on out I used a big paint male bulldog I had that I liked. Don’t know his lines or what he was, I know he wasn’t pit because of his size, but he worked and that was all I care about.

Females around 70 - 80lbs consistently.

Males 80 - 90lbs.

I did own a 1/2 greyhound 1/2 cur cross a few years ago. Was an absolute rock star the first two years of his life. Got cut on a hunt and never was the same mentally after that. Still found some, but nowhere near on the same level as before. Worth keeping around - he was fast as greased lightning.
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 06:21:23 am »

Grey cross on top of box

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 08:48:32 pm »

That’s a real weight. Actually my ideal weight and the type is really nice too.

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 09:16:46 pm »

Man, if she will fill out anything like these. Powerful looking dogs.

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 09:30:41 pm »

I’ll have to get a good picture of lizzo. No mistaking she’s a greyhound. She’s been on a handful of hunts last 2 months just Riding on the ranger. She Got to be around us when we killed a few hogs but never saw any action.

Showed her and 2 cur pups of my buddies a show in a trailer last week. They were already caught but she ran in there and after some looking around, found the ear and was catching and staying hooked for 10-15 seconds at a time.

Then Friday morning I go to check a camera on a bait pile for a hunt Saturday morning maybe and sketch and her slip off the truck and go bay one of my Barr hogs. She was baying her ass off lol up until I started shooting. Killed that hog. Shooting kind of threw her for a little loop but it didn’t scare her and she stayed with it.

Saturday morning we dump out on top of hog bedded. We dump lizzo with all the curs. She makes a half mile race and is caught with my buddies grown dogs while sketch rolled over 100 yard across a county road and had another bayed and 2 rough pups went and caught it. I killed first hog, she left and went straight to other hog squealing as they were waiting on me with the knife. Run in there and found her some hide to grab ahold of. She tries to do a little hunting too and use her nose some.

So far I’m really happy with what she’s shown. She’s barley a year old, we’re still new to each other as I’ve only had her for 3-4 months. The idea is for her to be a put out catch dog we can use with my buddys bulldog as help or send her to hogs in the open or even jump her into races on running hogs.

I’m not too worried about her not being straight catch yet being she’s super young and I’ve read these dogs or slow to mature and take lots of confidence building.

I’ll get a picture tomorrow. Any info/advice is appreciated. 

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 09:31:38 pm »

Grey cross on top of box

I tell you what. I wouldn’t mind about 10 of them suckers in my kennels. Bet that joker could move

sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2022, 07:04:49 pm »

Stag Pit dog I raised. Was really making a hand. Unfortunately lost him to a big toothy boar this summer.

sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 07:11:39 pm »

Few more random pics of him

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2022, 08:24:29 pm »

Man that’s a shame. He looks like he should be fast.

sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2022, 10:49:56 pm »

Man that’s a shame. He looks like he should be fast.

Yes sir t-dog he really had a set of wheels on him and could handle a good one. Luckily I have a full mate sister to him. Have a litter out of her and a Wolfhound/Dogo. Really anxious to see how they’ll turn out.

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2022, 05:47:43 am »

Sreeves how do you like those plates?  I’ve tried several and can’t make myself use them. Too much exposure in my opinion.
sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2022, 09:24:48 am »

Sreeves how do you like those plates?  I’ve tried several and can’t make myself use them. Too much exposure in my opinion.
jsh this is the first plate I’ve ever ran and there’s definitely some pros and cons. I like the mobility and they run cooler. But I’m still not convinced about the protection level underneath. I do think that most of the damage he ever took was on the hookup, after that the plate did it’s job.

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 10:29:13 am »

Man I bet those will be some big athletic rascals if they aren’t anything else! Keep us undated on those I’d like to know how they do.

sreeves
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2022, 08:37:59 pm »

Man I bet those will be some big athletic rascals if they aren’t anything else! Keep us undated on those I’d like to know how they do.

Yes sir I will. I’ve got high hopes for them. I’ll try to get some pics up eventually

ModisettH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2022, 12:41:23 pm »

I do. I just had a 3/4 GH 1/4 pit but gave her to a buddy that lost her daughter. A catching fool. Bred her to a 1/2 pit 1/2 American and I’m really liking them. They are just now two years old and are some hard hitting well mannered dogs with tons of speed and brains. My buddy has raised several and most have made sure enough dogs.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: