March 29, 2024, 06:16:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greyhound/Greybulls  (Read 2484 times)
ModisettH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2022, 12:46:42 pm »

Here is one of the pups out of the cross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2022, 03:52:37 pm »

So if I am figuring right, that is 3/8 gh, 3/8 apbt and 1/4 ab. That sounds like a very good combo for a catchdog. Easy to look at too!
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2022, 04:22:49 pm »

That does sound like a good cross.

ModisettH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2022, 09:53:07 am »

So if I am figuring right, that is 3/8 gh, 3/8 apbt and 1/4 ab. That sounds like a very good combo for a catchdog. Easy to look at too!
So I’m not very good with fractions so I asked a math teacher lol.
How she wrote it was 5/8 pit, 1/4 AB,1/8 GH.

I sure like them. The one in the pic is the gyp. She probably weights 55 lbs. But her brother was 76 lbs the last time I weighted him. It being deer season he’s pushing 80-85! Long legged like the greyhound side.
Caught a lot with the sister too but my friends lost her to a heat stroke late summer.

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2022, 07:33:24 pm »

3/8 3/8 and 1/4 would be correct. And that does sound like a hell of a cross.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2022, 03:33:37 pm »

They greyhound stag crossed are they usually late starters? Got one on the ground now dogo stag she’s six weeks the male found a bucket of water and drowned. Think I’m just not going to worry about starting her till she’s close to a year maybe let her hit some coons before I show her a hog that’s usually my starting point. I had a rougher haired gyp but she wasn’t as tall and the gyp I got that looks like has a lot of greyhound in her is just to intense. She’s my better one just cause she’ll cast but she’s younger, likes hitting anything. My dogo is young and full of piss and vinegar as well but I don’t think I’d like another version of herself lol. The gyp I used is a Decent keeeper
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2022, 09:13:35 pm »

My damn luck. Take her and sketch hunting Saturday evening. They take a track 400 through a open pasture. Through cows and a bunch of deer, cross a fence into a neighboring place. Make the brush line In another 50 yards and Lizzo catches on the first bark and stays hooked solid till I get there to kill the hog. 40 lb shoat or so but dang it she was caught on the head and I mean caught hard on her 5th hog ever in the woods. First one she bayed. Last 3 had been caught with or by other dogs first.

They peeled out on me on the way back to the truck and I dropped them. After 30 minutes I go around county road back further north of where we caught the hog thinking maybe they went back and carried the groups track north. Get up there and nothing.

Back into the ranch to where I kicked out. Hop out the truck and sketch is barking 800 further south. Get down there she’s on a wallow with a drowned shoat in it. Lizzo is gone. I’ve put 100 miles on my truck and lost my voice looking for her. No sign yet. Left a jacket out last night and nothing this AM. Sure hoping she turns up.

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2022, 06:42:53 am »

Sighthounds mature a little later. If you are going to run them on the ground you had better watch the heat. They will overheat way faster than anything else. I’m talking half stag or more. If you are looking for an RCD, I’d run a straight catch cur before I’d use one of these crosses. Also, I break them off everything. I wouldn’t show it a coon. I start mine 12-18 months and I start them in the field. Before that they are hauled hours like any other dog in the truck, through cattle, etc…..

Most of the crosses shake and fight so much when they catch that they can do serious damage when they catch. You can imagine what would happen if they were to come up on a calf and happened to catch.

Not trying to tell you what to do or sound like a know it all, just trying to help. Sadly have seen several other people overheat them.
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2022, 06:48:05 am »

Slim you said your other dog was at a wallow. If they were at a deep tank, I’d keep checking it. I lost a good young stag cross in a tank. Took three days to float. Most of mine can’t swim for $hit. Or maybe she locked in and drown herself through her nose.

Hope she turns up.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2022, 02:47:39 pm »

jsh, what causes they to over heat like that? Is it the extra muscle or what exactly? I would’ve figured they would’ve had more air from sight hounds conformation.

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2022, 07:36:39 pm »

I believe it’s the muscle they carry. I’ve had them in dang near 3/4 mile sprints in the winter,  but in the spring or summer, forget about it. Seems to me the coyote guys only run their dogs in cooler weather, never in mild or warm weather.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2022, 07:48:22 pm »

Looked again yesterday evening. Walked a probably 4 mile circle. Checked every barn and water source per JSH, on every place. No sign. Talked to every neighbor. Nobody has seen her. Talked to the neighbor i watched crawl in a deer stand about 5-600 yards from where I last figured her to be. (Which is with sketch caught on the shoat I found sketch with drowned in that shallow wallow.) right after. He said he hadn’t heard anything before he saw me.

I can’t really make it make sense. Frustrating. I’m looking for buzzards I fear at this point. I’m not sure what could have happened but it makes a lot more sense than her vanishing and nobody seeing her by now or her not coming to me calling.

Haven’t had any hogs recently on camera I figure would be big enough to really hurt a dog, but they are in the country no doubt. Can’t think she’d have decided she was ready to try one that size though.

WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2022, 10:29:12 pm »

Dang man, that doesn't sound good. Hope she turns up.
ModisettH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2022, 11:47:13 pm »

Sighthounds mature a little later. If you are going to run them on the ground you had better watch the heat. They will overheat way faster than anything else. I’m talking half stag or more. If you are looking for an RCD, I’d run a straight catch cur before I’d use one of these crosses. Also, I break them off everything. I wouldn’t show it a coon. I start mine 12-18 months and I start them in the field. Before that they are hauled hours like any other dog in the truck, through cattle, etc…..

Most of the crosses shake and fight so much when they catch that they can do serious damage when they catch. You can imagine what would happen if they were to come up on a calf and happened to catch.

Not trying to tell you what to do or sound like a know it all, just trying to help. Sadly have seen several other people overheat them.
So “funny” you say this.
The dam to my 2 (3/4 pit 1/4 GH) shook bad. Only reason I gave her back to the man that bred her. 3 shakes and the ear was gone. I like to make em a lil lighter on the rear & ear an send them on the way. She wasn’t the dog for that or thickets.
My main male dog is the sire (1/2 AB 1/2 pit)
He has more “wind” then he knows what to do with. Left him caught for 20 mins after hog broke an was having to belly crawl through a briar patch to get to them. It was the middle of February it his pup(didn’t belong to me) out of the two liked to have stroked then. I got her vest off and cooled down. But they was hunting with out me in may and bay broke she went with it and had a heat stroke. They spent several thousand on her at the vet as she stayed there on IV for over a week. Finally got her home and she died about two days later. Hated it for the kid that owned her but it happens.   Especially when a bulldog has no handle. I personally don’t put up with it. Either they listen or they go on somewhere else. All mine wear a tt15 and are tone broke they will come to us if the bay breaks. I find it works best for me.
 But as for my two out of the cross they don’t get winded or hot bad.

ModisettH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2022, 11:48:56 pm »

Looked again yesterday evening. Walked a probably 4 mile circle. Checked every barn and water source per JSH, on every place. No sign. Talked to every neighbor. Nobody has seen her. Talked to the neighbor i watched crawl in a deer stand about 5-600 yards from where I last figured her to be. (Which is with sketch caught on the shoat I found sketch with drowned in that shallow wallow.) right after. He said he hadn’t heard anything before he saw me.

I can’t really make it make sense. Frustrating. I’m looking for buzzards I fear at this point. I’m not sure what could have happened but it makes a lot more sense than her vanishing and nobody seeing her by now or her not coming to me calling.

Haven’t had any hogs recently on camera I figure would be big enough to really hurt a dog, but they are in the country no doubt. Can’t think she’d have decided she was ready to try one that size though.

Hope she turns up for ya! Did she have a vest on? Maybe hung up somewhere?

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2022, 03:26:47 pm »

Gone with the wind it appears. Guess life thought I needed another big kick in the nuts to make sure I was still alive.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2022, 07:04:19 pm »

I hate to hear that slim, that’s a tough way to lose one. I’ve known of several dogs that were gone for 2-3 weeks and showed back up. Maybe she will turn up

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2022, 10:17:43 pm »

Only thing I can figure is somebody found her that knew what she was or might be and kept her, or she managed to get herself in a bind of some sort and never made it out of the woods. It’s pretty unreasonable for as many tracks as I made and how populated the area is for her to not have been found, seen, or caught on camera by now.

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2022, 11:34:03 pm »

Your right about the heat thing I made the mistake last year of just letting them run and by the time we got on a boar that they had caught for a minute and we’re spent. And that’s just them running back and forth short distances. He also had his ears shredded as well. No bulldog either lol. May I ask why about the coon thing? I understand the problem with cows and other none game species

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2022, 11:34:24 pm »

Any word on her slim?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: