March 28, 2024, 04:36:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WV BEARHUNT  (Read 476 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2022, 04:24:45 pm »

Made the annual WV trip last week had a great hunt, treed 14 bears in 12 trees, hunted 6 days. No dogs injured bad enough to consider no bears killed, strictly tree'em and free'em.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 06:16:10 pm »

Sounds like a busy week there old man.Can't beat that with a stick.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 06:21:41 pm »

That’s sounds like a heck of a productive hunt and a real good time. What was the weather like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 08:56:57 pm »

Cool but very nice the first day, that night and the next day got just a skiff of snow and mid twenties up on the mountain, still cool on the third day and warmed back up gradually after that. All around great weather never unbearably cold and never warm enough to overheat anything.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 09:03:55 pm »

Can’t hardly beat that!!! Your young dogs coming on pretty strong?
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 09:25:41 pm »

Sounds like y'all had a great week. Vernon told me y'all were up and treeing some bear.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 07:44:18 am »

All the dogs looked good, hunted with a bigger cross section of people than usual when I go up there.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 07:48:34 am »

ay one Norman sent Jerry and I on ahead while he waited for Randy (there was a miscue and Randy wasn't coming until the next day) we got a hot rig strike and cut 6 dogs all at once they left roaring, headed for hwy 39 and Cranberry. Yelled at Norman on the radio he headed around there and Jerry I and started off the mountain to go around as well. While we were coming off the mountain we lost signal with them and Hammer said they were across 39. Norman drove down the access road a little ways and let his dogs off the truck to empty out unaware  the race was coming right at him, they got in and the dogs rolled around the  Cranberry bogs and treed about 800 yds from the locked gate in the parking lot (Cranberry is a no motorized vehicle area) and there was a hiking trail that went around the bogs to where they were treed. We all had an easy walk in to the dogs. 
                                                                            BEAR UP BIG CHERRY TREE

YOUNG DOG LAWSON

YOUNG DOG HONKER

We got gathered up from that tree and went back around to the Hillsboro side and resumed the hunt, Jerry and I were in front (courtesy I suppose) with Norman and Hammers crew following us up Hills Creek, we got another rig strike that wasn't great but put some dogs out anyway. They took a minute to get to the strike as the track was cold but I had a couple that along with one of Hammers spotted dogs (bless his heart he doesn't have any Plotts haha) that crossed the creek and went up the hillside to the track, when they went to opening everyone got some dogs cut in and they began angling up the mountain then hooked left right up the point, when they got to the top they bayed then left running back towards the road we were sitting on. Jerry and I saw the bear and dogs cross, but they hit a fence and had a small delay then roared on up the mountain. In the mean time I noticed one of mine was treed back where they had bayed and come to find out two of Hammer's were treed there as well. Rueben and I went to them while Hammer, Jerry and Norman stayed with the others. The ones we went to, as suspected had a cub. The others treed pretty high up on the face of Briery and part of the crew went around to the top and walked down to their tree and got them off the sow then walked on down to get a ride back to the truck on top. After that we called it a day.

LITTLE BITTY FELLER

FLO UNDER THE LITTLE GUY
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 07:59:49 am »

We treed a couple of bear on the second day, the third day Jerry and I had went up the creek with the other fellows waiting back down the road, we did not strike on the way up but coming back got a box rocker. We radioed the other guys and when they got there we cut dogs they went every direction I thought what a cluster, but they all lined out and 3 sets of them came treed in about 10 minutes, there was a single mature bear in one tree, a sow and 2 cubs in another and another single mature bear in the third. Don't usually make three bear trees from one strike. The deal was there was a spotty mast crop but where it did hit it was real good and we struck a bear headed up the hill to the good stand of hickory and the others were there and scattered.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 08:17:17 am »

Yeah Mike, Vernon hunted with us one day and fed us all supper twice. He was very busy trying to catch trout, the DNR was releasing big Tiger trout over on Somerville lake in Cranberry and somehow he knew when they were supposed to be releasing them.
 One day we were separated and had walked off the mountain to some dogs and Norman was down there in his truck so with Norman and Randy Miller in the truck Jerry and I were just riding on the dog box and it was spitting sleet and snow when we met Vernon, Norman stopped him and told him to take Jerry and I back up on Viney to our truck so he and Randy could head to 36 hwy as the last track on the dogs they were headed that way. He usually hunts with us several days when he's not "hooked" up fishing haha. Oh and he had came by Norman's and left us a Lemon Cake and when we ate supper with him he had two more flavors that were really good too.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 07:23:29 pm »

FLO UNDER THE LITTLE GUY

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2022, 09:09:56 pm »

Sounds like a real good time some good looking hounds

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: