March 29, 2024, 09:45:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 legged dogs  (Read 782 times)
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2022, 04:46:48 am »

Well it's been a ruff yr on my dogs lost Hambone then bred Cypress to Hambones daddy and her euturis flipped lost all but 2 pups and had to have her spade.Then a boar hog cut her Achilles and I had to have her leg amputated as there was no repairing it and it was more of a hindrance than anything.I have had her in the house since the surgery to rrcover and was letting her lay around the yard while I was working she had a cone on her head to keep her from eating the stitches.Anyhow I come home from work the other day and she's gone there aren't any hogs within a mile or 2 of my house so I  wasn't that worried plus she's only a few days out of surgery so I feed up and get a call from the neighbor that he got a call from the one farmer who don't like dogs who says he had a dog with a ice cream cone on its head on camera at a deer feeder in the swamp about 2.5-3 miles from my house as the crow flies and that swamp is loaded with hogs.I was worried then and rode the 4wheeler over there and looked for her till about 10pm never could hear her or find her.Went hoke and figured she'd got that cone hung up and the outcome wasn't good.Check outside at midnight and still no Cypress get up at 4:30am for work and still not home at 5am I go out to leave and there she is cone tore up just a little piece tight as crap around her neck and  a cut from a boar hog on her ribs lol.Ol girl just had to go get some action.I ain't sure yet if I'm gonna retire her or still carry her she's a 7yr old dog and obviously gonna slow down quite a bit and she damn sure ain't got nothing to prove to me but she sure loves her job too so I don't know. Just thought I'd share a 3 legged dog story yall got some to I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 06:25:40 am »

Glad you got her back.

They say you can’t put the hunt in them, but you dang sure can’t take it out of them.
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 06:48:11 am »

Sure glad you got her back man,,   Like that ole song from George Jones,, She dont need no rockin chair,,, LOL>>>

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 07:42:34 am »

Glad you found her got love the heart and drive she has a trait they got to have to make much

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 01:24:29 pm »

That’s funny Highwater. Glad you got her back too. Something I started doing with older dogs is putting them with people that can use them before they aren’t useful and have to be retired. In order to keep the necessary stock to further my breeding/hunting program, I have to keep dog ages pretty staggered. If my young dogs are starting to stay ahead of them and I’ve already got what I need breeding wise then I start looking for a place to put them. I see it as they are filling a spot hunting that a young prospect would benefit from. It’s too hard for me to see the excitement in them when they know we are loading up to hunt and they can’t go. That’s heartbreaking to me. I’m limited on space so I can’t afford to run a retirement home and I love respect the old soldiers enough to give them opportunity to keep doing their thing. So far it’s worked out well. I have had the peace of mind to watch some of them live to retirement and get to become just family pets and even house dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 06:20:20 am »

Glad you got her back Cracker. I had a 3 legged dog back a few years ago and wish I would have quit hunting him. If I would have know what he was reproducing at the time I would have quit hunting him but even on three legs he was a hog finding machine but he was just to rough and it ended up costing him.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 06:22:31 am »

Gotta make you smile and be proud to own one with that kind of desire.
-
Some of the uninformed “pet owners” who criticize our lifestyle and think we “make” these dogs want to hunt need to read this post.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 10:15:07 am »

Cracker, glad that you had a good/funny ending to what might have been a bad story. I think that’s a testament to those dogs you’re working with, they sure have some motor in them!! Lol. If you ever want to part with one I’d love to try them out. It’s almost impossible to find that type of cur dog, I do all this reading about them but never get to see them! Haha.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 08:40:40 pm »

I appreciate it yall.Yeah ol girl just loves to do her thing if she could still have pups I'd definitely retire her but it ain't in the cards no more so I reckon she'll get  to hunt out her days.

Asteus they ain't no better than yours just what I ended up with.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 09:24:03 pm »

I bet the 3 legs doesn’t slow her down too much on hunting. Seems like there’s quite a few 3 legged hog dogs out there making it happen. And now you’re just being humble! Haha.

On a completely serious note, if you ever have a pup or a dog you want to part ways with, I’d be happy to take one off your hands. The dogs I’m working with right now are much rougher as you know. Im hoping my two Parker gyps will be more suited for hunting one out, casting deep and strictly baying until I get there. I know that’s more the style of your dogs and what I’m trying to migrate too, I just haven’t had much luck. My Ranger dog was hunting like that, but even if he was still alive I doubt he would be able to reproduce himself with him being so scatterbred. One of these days I’m hoping I can get my yard to where I can hunt the quality/style of dog I like and be able to reproduce them for myself as needed instead of worrying about how I’m possibly going to replace them.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Bred4DaGame
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 08:20:50 am »

Coolest freaking dog cen

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 03:17:30 pm »

That’s great news man reading that had me worried at first glad for the turnout.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: