April 24, 2024, 08:57:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anal abcess  (Read 255 times)
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2022, 08:40:39 am »

Fellers,,    In all my yrs of livin I aint never seen or delt with a situation that we are dealing with in a 6 yr old plott male dog..   this male dog has been suffering with anal problems for about 6 months and there aint a vet no where that can fix it ,, I dont guess..  Atleast around my neck of the woods anyway..   

Have yall ever seen a dog that has had reoccuring issues ,, either with anal glands that rupture or infected,,, seems to have problems emptying his colon ,, bleeding,, puss..   Now ,, We have givin him every infection med under the sun,,,   steroids,, anti inflamatory meds,, only to have the symptoms come right back .. 

I have changed his diet ,, given meds for anal glands and everything I can think of..      Any one ever seen anything that would make his back end swell up at the rectom ,, bleed .. ect....

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 09:25:32 pm »

Just curious, how do you keep him? Is he on concrete, or dirt floor, chain, etc.? Has the possibility of cancer been ruled out?Are they 100% sure it’s the anal gland and not a lymph node of some sort? I don’t know if there is even a lymph node back there but it seems like to me if the meds and steroids aren’t fixing it then maybe that’s not what it is. I’ll be interested to see what you figure out. Good luck with him bud. I’m sure if you’re feeding him he’s a top dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 06:58:01 am »

Hes always been on concrete ,,  Top notch dog to say the least,,  Hes off of Cajuns blood and shamrock ,, one of the best track dogs a man can ask for..  Hate to see my son loose him in his prime but Im at a loss for the cause of this.. 

Cancer is what I have always held in the back of my mind with this,,  I dont see no other answer ..  Due to the many number of opinions I have received thru other dog men,  nobody have ever had this problem arise before..  Bringing him to another vet this week to see if he knows something others dont..   

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:05:59 am »

I had a boss once that had a rat terrier house dog. He was always having to take the dog to the vet because of his anal gland. They told him it was a common problem with house dogs and dogs kept on concrete. Reason being that they drag their butts in the dirt and grass to clean those glands. I’m sure that’s pretty common knowledge but I would at least try to put him out on a cable run or something to see if he couldn’t fix the problem himself. I know he’s a hunting dog and could do this when he’s hunting, but a lot of driven dogs don’t have anything on their mind but hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: