March 29, 2024, 01:17:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog Box  (Read 530 times)
BriarBay
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2022, 07:04:42 pm »

Got a fella building me a steel dog box for by little yota truck. Can’t afford aluminum!  It’s already going to be heavy as crap and he’s wanting to put a sheet of 1/16 steel on top but I told him to hold up and I’ll handle the top. Any idea besides plywood?
Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 10:47:29 pm »

I put a sheet of aluminum on mine, it cost me though. The sides are now closed in with 1/4" plywood, if I was to do it again, I'd use less steel in the design. I'd eliminate most of the vertical supports or the expanded steel side panels to drop some weight.

https://youtu.be/0mMMyhspwT8
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 09:17:17 am »

Check out the marine board stuff. We are looking at it ourselves. You can get it in all different thicknesses and depending on the size of box you have, if you have a seam it can be welded I’m pretty sure. It’s insulting and durable, waterproof, and textured. It’s a little pricey but if it outlasts plywood and weighs less than metal, it might be worth it. It’s not marine plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 01:51:03 pm »

I have a steel framed dog box on my Toyota hunting truck, and used marine plywood for the top and side covers, have painted it a time or two as well but it is 9 yrs old and still in good shape. 
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 02:23:44 pm »

Old man do you have any seams on top of it or did one sheet completely cover it? If it had a seam how do you seal the seam to keep it from leaking? There are several ways to do it just curious about how you did it.

Hollowpoint
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 06:19:36 pm »

Starboard?
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 07:52:24 am »

Coosa board, Starboard, Taco board its all HDPE polymer sheeting.

Some of the best I used, was a buddy of mine redid the polymer sheets on his airboat and gave me the old. it worked great on top of dog boxes.

But I am cheap and a buddy gives me his used sheets of 3/4" concrete formboard/plywood and it works great.

The polymer is nice but the do retain heat....not as much as steel/aluminum.....but to me wood stays the coolest to the touch
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 03:02:10 pm »

I have a steel frame box with some thin diamond plate (I think aluminum) on my box. I bought it for cheap already built from a teenager when I first started hunting, but it’s held up good. The diamond plate is riveted to the top and the framing is all 1/2” square tubing. It’s a 2 bay OTR box for a extended cab Chevy truck and I can put it in and out by myself, just a bit of work but it’s not too heavy. In my f250 it’s a little too small so I keep it tied down so that it doesn’t move around too much

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 06:20:06 pm »

t-dog Sorry for the late reply, but yes there is a seam and I just silicone calked the joint and never had it leak a drop.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 07:22:17 pm »

No worries bud. Thanks for the reply.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: