April 16, 2024, 05:46:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bay and shoot  (Read 477 times)
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2022, 07:07:26 pm »

Had 2 finished dogs and 3  1 yr old pups who have all seen a few hogs in the woods. No catch dogs healthy right now so we brought .223 with a scope and a .40 1911 pistol. Got this rank 200 lbish boar bayed, 1st 2 times we shot him in the body he fell down stood up and broke, dogs re bayed him .40 to the skull ended it. Second bay was awesome to watch. Probably 12 head bayed solid as we were trying to get a shot it was great watching them work the sounder, any time one would get out of the circle the dogs would bunch them back up, shot one big fat sow and after everything broke the curs caught out on 2 more healthy young sows Probably 120-30ish. Got going about 11 am and had dogs loaded by 2, but busted out some bears and skinned the 3 sows, lots of good meat for the extra work and still home by dark to watch a movie with the wife and ho to bed early

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 07:10:38 pm »

Here is the smallest of the 3 sows. I say that to point out how fat she is, acorns and pecans on this property have them healthy

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 06:01:51 am »

They look healthy for sure. Sounds like a good hunt and dog work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 07:04:23 am »

yeah man thats a good hunt..   I can count on one hand how many times I have seen 12 head bayed up together in these parts.. LOL.. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 12:40:30 pm »

yeah man thats a good hunt..   I can count on one hand how many times I have seen 12 head bayed up together in these parts.. LOL.. 

Watching the dogs bay that boar the 3 times it took us to drop him and that sounder was the most fun part about not using a CD. I never see a bay bc I cut the cd earlier than that 95%...
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 12:46:15 pm »

They look healthy for sure. Sounds like a good hunt and dog work.

Yes the pecans and the acorns had those sows with marbled fat all the way down to the ankles and a good 1.5-2 inches on the backstraps and hams
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 06:41:31 pm »

I enjoy going and getting to tie a couple hogs every so often, but I sure love baying and shooting. All my best stories and videos come from baying and shooting, and you’ll certainly find out and get to see what your feeding really quick.

Good hunt and nice boar sir!

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 08:11:39 pm »

Nothing like watching em work a group of hogs I always like to see the bay sometimes here just no way to see it you might send bulldog from 20 yards and never see hog they baying until you crawl into a caught hog

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 11:20:20 am »

Picking on the girls with cankles huh? Lol I like kind myself.

NLA we get it both ways here. We get to watch some good bays and other times you don’t know what it is until you army crawl in to it. I prefer seeing the bay lol.

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 06:33:44 pm »

No doubt tdog

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 07:27:39 am »

That was a good hunt and like said some healthy looking hogs.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 05:23:15 pm »

For you guys that bay and shoot, what do you normally use gun wise? I’ve only shot one bayed, it was a few pups baying a sow and I shot her with my pistol. I don’t want to haul my AR through the swamps, I was thinking about picking up a little .22 to take and popping them behind the ear with it. My only real concern is I get in a tight spot where I can’t get a shot off because it’s too thick. Do y’all ever have that problem?

I haven’t had a bulldog on my yard in a few years because of running rough dogs but I’m transitioning over to dogs that have more back up and bay, and I’d prefer to not mess with hauling a catch dog around. For the time being I figured I may take 2 of my rough dogs and keep them on the buggy to send to a bay

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: