March 28, 2024, 09:11:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good and bad  (Read 466 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2023, 03:03:31 pm »

It’s always good when you can be in the woods with your  dogs. My nephew “Deputy Dawg”, my youngest son Slayde, and Becky forced me to load dogs this morning. When we pulled in the second gate overlooking the bottom, 5-6 coyotes we’re running the heck out of a calf. They saw us and broke off for the woods. Dillian lobbed a bullet at one that stopped to study us. He knocked the dirt up around him but I think he missed, no body no crime as they say. We cast the 3 young dogs and they went 500+ and bayed a spotted boar about 120 tops, we caught him and loaded  them up to cast another spot. This time we let them all out. They paired off and went 3 different directions. Zeke and Outlaw bayed, then Moon and Ranger split bayed a couple hundred yards away. Ava and Hope went to Moon and Ranger. Zeke and outlaw’s bay broke and they got bayed again about 8-900 from us. We went and caught the hog Moon and them were baying. When we got there Loki decided he was ready and hauled butt in and caught a boar about 200#. This sucker was in one of those perfect spots in the bottom of a gully where he could back up against a wash out to keep the dogs from getting to his pride and joy. We caught him but he poked ole Loki a couple shots, he’ll be fine though. Those dogs relayed immediately and went to Outlaw and Zeke. When we got closer Ava was solo bayed so we went to her first. JJ missed and the hog broke and Ava stopped her about 100 yards and we sent JJ again. He eared her and she was literally sitting on Ava’s head. As Dillian was reaching in for her the sow about 130-40# jumps and pulls away from JJ. This time she makes it to the river and crosses. We find a spot I figured I could wade across and I did. Dillian try’s to send JJ and he did everything but what we wanted. The hog was bayed 75 yards from us so hollering at this crackhead to come to me spooks the hog and causes it to break another 200 yards. He try’s to send him again and this time he gets caught in the current is looking like he’s not going to make it so I go get him and of course had to swim. You can imagine the water is pretty cold right now so it doesn’t let ya breathe real well. He’s trying to crawl up on me and about to drown both of us. It was getting a little wild for a minute but we made it to the other side just in time to know that the sow left and Ava had her bayed again 850+. Now about this time I’m pretty frustrated with this bulldog. We crossed back and I told Dillian and Slayde that we were going to the other dogs. So we did and we get over there where they have another boar that’s about 200# bayed. Send JJ and he catches and the hog pulls away and they stop him about 75 yards away and they all mounted him in the bottom of the gully. Now I’m really cussing JJ because two other dogs got cut because he isn’t doing his job. They were minor but could’ve been bad just as easily. We go back to the buggy and I told them when we get over here we are going to let them all go to Ava. She for sure isn’t going to run off on all of them. Sure enough they swim across the river and they catch her and fall into the river. That actually worked out in our favor. She swam straight to us and we caught her on or side. That was enough to call it a hunt for me. Our dogs did good except for the catch dogs. I don’t know what was going on with them today. Loki caught well but went before I sent him. That could’ve been a miscue on my part. But JJ, man that was a horrible outing. I mean absolutely HORRIBLE! He’s been pretty solid up until this performance. I checked his mouth and there’s nothing visually wrong. His teeth are fine and there’s no swelling anywhere like it might be broken. He’s eating fine and acting normal just one bad day. Y’all ever experience this kind of thing?

1st little boar that the young dogs found

2nd boar that Loki decided to go to before I was ready for him to

3rd boar we had to catch twice. I didn’t take a picture of the sow. I was aggravated and ready to go lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 04:21:00 pm »

I just did some checking and found out that Canine Influenza is going around bad in Texas and California for sure. Just reading the symptoms, this could be the culprit. I told Dillian several times that he acted like he was flat and just didn’t have any ump. He said he ate but not with the same intensity as usual. When were headed to the first hog he was snorting like a lot of Americans do when they get hot. I even asked if he had his collars on too tight and they were fine. I’d bet on this one. I haven’t been keeping apple cider vinegar in my dog water but it’s going in there today and the probiotics started back up.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 06:24:47 am »

Good hut T dog. Something else you might check on is tick diseases. I had a cur dog years ago that got Anaplasmosis ( the Northern strain) and he would just run out of energy in no time.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 07:39:13 am »

Man,,  you had a round that day didnt you ..  Thankfully yall was able to escape with no more damage to the crew than that..  I laughed when I read your swimming experience,,  that water was still cold this weekend wasnt it..   Hopefully yall figure out what made the off day for the CD..  I think everybody that has hunted behind CD have seen days where they was off their game just a little bit.. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 12:41:00 pm »

I will check on the tick disease Cajun, thank ya. Did your dog ever fully recover? I know people that have had Lyme disease and years later say they still feel the effects.

Highwater, the highwater was COLD water for sure!

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 02:44:49 pm »

Dang man ain't nothing more frustrating than that right there.Still turned out to be a good day though.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 04:22:11 pm »

I will check on the tick disease Cajun, thank ya. Did your dog ever fully recover? I know people that have had Lyme disease and years later say they still feel the effects.

Highwater, the highwater was COLD water for sure!

Not people who know me, send a pm if your dealing with it. Off Amazon give your dog 1000 mg BHT 2-3 xs a day and it will knock out influenza etc also the only antibiotic my dogs have ever had and never once has it not worked better than the prescribed kind. Stuff is miraculous and $37 for 500 caps its cheaper and works better
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 08:17:20 pm »

Once a dog has a tick disease it stays with them becoming dormant. He had a flareup about a year later and I gave him doxycylcline for 30 days. If you dont catch it in time it can kill them. This dog lived a couple of years after he got it before some low life shot him.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 09:07:23 pm »

Awe man, that sucks!

Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 10:45:44 am »

Sounds like an interesting day in the woods. Bay dogs are turning the crank.
-
Unfortunately I’m all too familiar with the catch dog having a rough day. Frustrating to not be able to close the deal. Hopefully he was just under the weather and couldn’t breath and it doesn’t become the norm. Sounds like he kept scratching despite not having his best stuff.
-
I had to laugh at Loki for calling his own #. I’ve had it happen. They get a few reminders to stay close to me for a while.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 09:47:34 am »

Sounds like the cur dogs are getting with it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 05:09:22 pm »

Thomas, those kinds of hunts are darn sure frustrating but they make for some good laughs and memories afterwards!

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: