April 19, 2024, 10:10:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good start  (Read 426 times)
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2023, 10:38:06 am »

Kicked the year off alright last week. Started jan 1 with a night hunt at the Gorman I7 ranch. Sketch carried a track across the creek right at dark and bayed. Help got there and they were hammered. My Shaw pup got in there and hit that hog and broke him. They carried him about 150 yards over a dam on a big lake in the neighbors and were swimming in 20 ft of water by the time we got there. About the time I was going to start losing clothes to go swimming that hog went under for the last time. Looked like a average 150 lb sow or so.
 Wind was blowing pretty good so we go hit the county road and put the wind in their face(we have lots of country, I promise we ain’t slipping around) Tim’s Anne dog and Rhett’s Pearl pick something up in the wind and leave hard. 800 or so across 2 places, hit a block of woods between a house and a tank and won’t leave. Just start bouncing around. Get around and send help and they’ve got a mob of some dumb hogs bayed. Hogs won’t rally. Just laid everywhere and that’s why dogs were bouncing. Rhett and I finally crawled in among them and broke em out. Tim’s Roach pup had a giant sow bayed I sure wish we’d have caught. Sketch sets up about 200 yards later and we catch another decent sow. Rest of the dogs broke back the one direction we can’t go and we had to call them out and called it a night. 

Friday night we headed out to what we call the prairie. Picked up 500 more acres right before we loaded. Long story short covered lots of country. Anne and Sketch kept ending up back in the same horseshoe in the river bottom, casted them from the north and south and both times they went about a half mile to the same spot but couldn’t come up with a hog.   
   Covered quite a bit more country and couldn’t find hogs or any fresh sign. Loaded dogs and run the ranger down the road to Lazy 5. Went and hunted the brush. No dice.
   Coming out I decided let’s rig them. Them hogs cross this bald hill and root with the cows grazing at night. We just never hunt this place at night to catch them doing it. Sure enough we get up towards the cows everything puts their nose in the wind and rolls hard. We pick up pace in the ranger and the guys catch some hogs in the lights. Everything but sketch lines a sow out and my Greyhound Lizzo who was out before they struck smoked her ass before she made it to the first fence. Caught hog. Get her killed and sketch is 340 hammered. Help all goes we grab bulldogs and go that way. She’s bayed against the cow pens on a decent boar. Cardi B caught his ass after a bit of a rodeo. Dead hog and called it a night on 2.

https://vimeo.com/788343847

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 11:10:35 am »

pair of hogs no dogs hurt and picked up 500 more acres to hunt, hard to complain about that  Wink
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 12:39:19 pm »

I agree, sounds productive to me. On top of that Lizzo caught AND didn’t get lost!

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 09:47:27 pm »

Here’s our main 5 right now. We had another decent hunt here on the city limits Sunday morning. Photographer friend brought her camera. Waiting on those pics.

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 06:03:33 am »

Nice hunt and sounds like some hard hunting dogs. Those are some nice hogs too. Do most of the hogs y'all hunt have russian influence? T dog, looks like while Hillbilly was making a loop down your way he dipped a little further south.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 06:20:54 am »

Hillbilly was a playa!!!

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 07:13:51 am »

Nice hunt and sounds like some hard hunting dogs. Those are some nice hogs too. Do most of the hogs y'all hunt have russian influence? T dog, looks like while Hillbilly was making a loop down your way he dipped a little further south.
90% of the hogs we catch, this is them right here in those pics. Build size and color. See lots of of what I call red collared hogs and dusty brown/grayish mixed with mostly black hogs. Pretty rare we catch any bigger colored up/ spotted hogs. Probably only a handful a year. I was actually talking about this with my brother just the other day. We don’t have the numbers other parts of the state do, and we don’t have the big hogs anymore in this country like it was 15 years ago, but our we don’t catch any nasty, stinky, sick/poor hogs. Our hog populations stay pretty steady and pretty healthy.

As for the dog. Lol if y’all are talking about Anne on the left perched on the Tailgate. We actually Call her Redneck

Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 07:39:17 am »

Slim it was a joke between T dog and I when he came up with some brindle pups he said my Plott Hillbilly must have made a round up his way to get those brindle pups. When I used to have Catahoula curs I used to get every color in the book including brindles.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 08:37:26 am »

Slim I’m guessing the brindle dog next to Sketch is her pup out Jamie’s old dog? What are the other two brindle dogs?

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 09:50:34 am »

Sounds like dogs are working good

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 12:24:12 pm »

Slim I’m guessing the brindle dog next to Sketch is her pup out Jamie’s old dog? What are the other two brindle dogs?

Shoot i sure wish. That is Roach and the other one on far right is Worm. Buddy of mine Tim’s pups They’re out of some sure enough using cow dogs around Weimar Texas. Big block head dog is Curtis. He’s old as sin. We ended up with him years ago, didn’t need him and gave him to a local boy who ended up being a cull(the boy not the dog). After he was passed around to idk how many people. We told that boy he better go get that dog back. Took some time but we got him back. 

Currently we don’t have anything out of sketch, we bred her back in September and she didn’t take. Male was only 1.5 so I’m hoping he just didn’t make it happen. She comes back in this spring we will put another male on her. Might throw a Hail Mary. Put a double bred male out of her back on her and hope like hell 2 or 3 of those pups come out Okay.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 04:56:10 pm »

Man you’ve been on a roll slim. Looks like you’re starting the year out strong and the dogs are looking good!

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: