March 29, 2024, 10:43:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOT ONE CUT UP LAST NIGHT  (Read 460 times)
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2023, 08:05:30 am »

The hog hunting here has been pitiful, not finding much sign or hogs but last night we got struck and the dogs were headed out of a creek bottom towards where we had seen a pretty good track cross the road a time or two but it had been too old to run. This section borders a highway so we decided to get the truck and go around to the highway in case they crossed, in transit we were  out of range of the dogs and when we picked them back up they were all 4 bayed bayed. Two younger dogs on our side of the big creek and the two 3 yr olds on the opposite side, we went to the nearest ones first, caught their hog, a good piggy sow and she squealed from the time Ol''Grip caught her until I broke him off. She was caught on a high bank just a couple of feet from a huge hole of water that would probably swim a man and the size of an Olympic swimming pool, sure glad she wasn't bayed in the water hole. The two older dogs were just about 75 yards from us and they had heard all the squealing and pulled to us, but one of them didn't come on across he just stood on a big tree that was down in the water and barked that was odd as he doesn't mind the water. With all the dogs tied we called him and he swam on over to our side, he had a real nasty cut in his right shoulder so those two had a good boar bayed.
 Back in November Adam had saw a real good Russian colored boar in there and he'd cut a dog up that day also, his catch dog had caught a sow that was with the boar and the boar broke, the dogs went with him one of them was already cut when Adam found them bayed they had another sow.
Now this piggy sow we'd caught escaped and went off the bank and swam across the water hole towards where the older dogs had been bayed or we could have put back on that boar, but we didn't want to bother that sow any more. Lately we had hunted that and the surrounding sections hoping to find him but due to the dogs pulling to the squeal he got away again. Maybe we can find him another day.
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 11:11:59 am »

Lots of good action and dog work. nice day when you catch 2 even if the bore got away imo. hopefully the dogs heal up quick
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 11:49:48 am »

He sounds like a smart one so I’m betting he’ll be waiting on you later. Glad your young dogs got the reward of the squeal. It sure seems to be a drug to these dogs. Hope your dog gets healed quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 01:02:21 pm »

Actually it was Adam's 3 yr old dog that was cut, mine didn't get cut. I had given him that one and another a few months ago. We each had a dog at both bays. The dog that was cut isn't overly rough but just doesn't respect them enough to get out of the way especially in a thick spot.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 02:11:02 pm »

Man that sounds a lot like a young male I had several years ago. He would bay hard and he would try and stop a hog but he had no reverse. If a hog rushed him he would just catch it. If it stayed put or went any direction except over him he would try and stop it and bay once it stopped. That’s what got him too. The day I lost him I knew something wasn’t right by the way I was tracking him. I didn’t see it but the evidence suggests that he caught when he got rushed and a second boar stood over him cutting while he held the other hog. He was all but gone when I found him and the other two dogs were baying two tushy boars about 225-230lbs. When we caught the first one the other acted like he was gonna get on the catch dog but we were there this time and scared him off. That was a really nice young dog lost because of no reverse.

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 04:49:15 pm »

Old man, sounds like the dogs worked good. I hate to hear about the cur dog getting cut up, hopefully he will heal up quick. I’m sure y’all will get that boar if you keep after him! Sounds like he’s been around the block a time or two and knows the game

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 05:36:31 pm »

Just plain bad luck on the dogs coming to the squealing but it would be a rare dog that could take that kind of pressure. Hopefully that sow will help repopulate the area. At least you got the dogs out.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 06:10:40 pm »

Hate he got away a couple times but those old foes are sure rewarding when you finally get em.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 06:32:41 pm »

Thanks guys, I think that may be the boar we have caught a couple of times in the last 3 or so years, so he should be educated but not uncatchable haha. Austesus those baydogs are Plotts I use these Curdogs for cattle and I can't hog hunt something here that will bay cattle, plus I like to hear them run. 
A long time ago I camped and hog hunted the Curs on Ben Jordan's Weyerhauser cow  lease and if I bayed a set of cows it was okay I'd just call them off and go on. After several trips when I traveled down there and tied them out, then left camp horseback they would run by cattle to bay a hog but if I hauled them 10 feet they'd bay the first cow they came to. While camped there I'd usually ride and help Ben ear mark and blackleg calves outside in the spring and early summer or help him pen in the fall, was real good times with a premier Cowboy in the Rodeo Arena's  rough stock pen or with a set of Curdogs in the mountains.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 06:35:03 pm »

If I'd really been thinking about catching the boar rather than saving the sow I could have left her tied and put the dogs back on the boar but we'd just dummied up and "let her get away" before thinking it through.
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 08:12:12 pm »

Hope that sow raises some pigs for y'all y'all will catch that boar hog the next go around hope dog gets healed

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Austesus
Boar Slayer

On the quest to be a dog man.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 07:33:34 am »

I gotcha old man. I sure wish Mr. Jordan was still around and could post on here. I’ve read a lot about him over the years, it sounds like everyone agrees on him being a real deal dog man.

Trying to raise better dogs than yesterday.
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 12:35:04 pm »

Hope the dog heals up for y’all man and good luck to putting some rope on that Bo hogs legs next time. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: