April 19, 2024, 04:00:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunderstorm hunts  (Read 407 times)
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2024, 05:11:05 pm »

So I’m curious as to what everyone’s opinions are of hunting after a thunderstorm. Yesterday afternoon and last night we had a good rain and plenty of thunder and lightning. We went back to the high fence this morning. NOTHING moved after the rain except one little 60# boar hog. The dogs dug and dug and finally got him located. He ran but not fast enough. The dogs hunted hard for about 3 more hours. The garmin literally looked like they had painted the place. They never did find ole big boy or the third hog that was still in there. I personally have never liked hunting after thunderstorms. It seems like everything just buries up and hunkers down until the next day. Scent gets washed away so unless they step on them, there really isn’t much to smell. Hunting after a rain doesn’t seem to have the same effect, I guess because of the thunder and lightning the animals don’t want to move. What do y’all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 05:59:48 pm »

lol!

Brought back few memories…

We literally hunted during a tropical storm once in cane and corn fields in new roads La.

Dropped dogs and water was running over headland roads 3-4 inches deep. Digs looked up at us like hat the heck….

Wasn’t no track for them to follow and we just made rounds got muddy and tried not get stuck in the gumbo mud.

We had fun, digs thought we was crazy.
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 06:02:10 pm »

I think most game just lay up during good storms..
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 07:13:34 pm »

Unless there is a breeze they might wind him. I hear all the time about our hogs run so bad that as soon as they hear a dog they are up and running when in reality they will stay squatted until stepped on. I have seen this in my pen and out in the marsh.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 07:54:35 pm »

It’s always the second day after a real hard hard rain that seems to get the big hogs on their feet or at least making tracks where I can see em and put dogs on em.

Anybody ever put much thought on a big Barr hogs pattern. He fill up and lay up for a day or two days or what? They don’t move around much it’s hard for a dog to locate em even if they get close to em.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 08:46:58 pm »

Semmes, I agree with the dogs lol!

Cajun I have seen that very thing as well. I’ve seen the wild runners too but for sure, the smart, educated ones figure it out. We had a could breeze today. I think they were just tucked away so tight that we didn’t have a prayer unless the dogs were in exactly the right spot at the right time to catch a whiff.

BA-IV, that second day is my thought process too. As for the barr patterns, I haven’t  noticed a particular pattern. Most of them seem to be with sounders when we catch them around here..

make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 05:43:12 pm »

Ive had good luck in the snow but not that much rain, dogs cant track as good imo
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 10:15:35 am »

I think all them good barrs are different I have had some that will come to feeder every night like clock work some that will come every other day or 2 days and some that stay with group of hogs just depends I guess we caught good one last year he first was coming by his self then group was coming with him we casted in there with 2 cur dogs heard em jump they got bayed it broke about time we got there swam across some water and everything else gathered em back up went cast em back in about same spot they hunted out opposite way they had went first I could tell they was smelling something they went maybe 300-400 yards from where they jumped first time and bayed the barr we went around there and caught him

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 10:18:44 am »

And as far as hunting in rain I have tried it with almost zero success I have decent luck if it will rain one evening into night a while maybe then quit go next morning can usually find good track in dirt roads next day usually good to

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Arkansashunter96
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 02:27:25 am »

I’ve noticed that before two Cajun especially the biggers ones. Sometimes I think they’re dumb for letting my hound trail them to a bed and bay but when they start running and never stop I quickly change my opinion haha.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: